Shaktar Donetsks Internationals refuse to return to club in war zone

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
I think we could all see this coming as it was mentioned on various threads
Shakhtar Donetsk’s owner has confirmed six players have refused to return to Ukraine for the new season as conflict rages around the club’s home city.

Brazilians Douglas Costa, Fred, Dentinho, Alex Teixiera and Ismaily plus Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra remained in France following a friendly against Lyon on Saturday.

In a statement on the club’s website, the owner, Rinat Akhmetov, warned the players that “in the first instance they will suffer” if they do not return, because their actions could activate compensation clauses forcing them to pay “tens of millions of euros” to Shakhtar.

“It is true, six team players have not come,” said Akhmetov.

“I don’t rule out that these players will return to the team quickly, and some of them tomorrow. Players have contracts that they have to abide by. If they do not come, I think, they will be the first to suffer. Each of them has a minimum release clause, which is tens of millions of euros. If someone wants to reduce this amount by a million, then such a decision is our right. There won’t be a clearance sale.

You can be sure western clubs will be watching this very closely.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    I think we could all see this coming as it was mentioned on various threads

You can be sure western clubs will be watching this very closely.

I see where mr.Akhmetov is coming from , he's running a business in the end.
    But does he realize where Donetsk is? And what just happened around there before he starts threatening players??
    He's running a sport business in a war zone , what does he expect??
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    It is a tricky situation but you can't really blame the footballers. At the end of the day their number one concern has to be the safety of them and their families. If it was me I don't think I would go back either.
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,480
    Forum Member
    It is a tricky situation but you can't really blame the footballers. At the end of the day their number one concern has to be the safety of them and their families. If it was me I don't think I would go back either.

Also what teams will want to play away there? No fans will follow if they have any common sense. He would be as well to try to get the team playing elsewhere - either that or he's in a right mess.
    Forum Member
    Orchideam wrote: »
    Also what teams will want to play away there? No fans will follow if they have any common sense. He would be as well to try to get the team playing elsewhere - either that or he's in a right mess.

I was discussing this with my Dad, as I was assuming they were in the CL (if not I'm guessing they will be in EL), I think they will have to play their home games elsewhere in Ukraine or even abroad, certainly in European competitions as teams will not want to travel to Donetsk and neither will fans.

In their league other Ukrainian teams might be more willing to travel there but I guess it isn't 100% that they will either, which makes it a lot more difficult if you're needing to find somewhere else to play every single home game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I was discussing this with my Dad, as I was assuming they were in the CL (if not I'm guessing they will be in EL), I think they will have to play their home games elsewhere in Ukraine or even abroad, certainly in European competitions as teams will not want to travel to Donetsk and neither will fans.

In their league other Ukrainian teams might be more willing to travel there but I guess it isn't 100% that they will either, which makes it a lot more difficult if you're needing to find somewhere else to play every single home game.

Agreed!
    And yes , they are in CL !
    Forum Member
    According to Wikipedia they are playing their home games (in the Ukrainian league) at Metalist's stadium. Wikipedia's source didn't look great though so don't know if it's true.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed there - I don't think anyone would argue with the desire to not travel into a warzone.

Just one point though, I wonder if the players are still wanting to be paid in their absence...
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are in the Champions League - entering at the group stage - so they'll probably do what they did back in February, when they moved the game between Dynamo Kiev and Valencia to Cyprus.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    UEFA have also announced that Ukrainian and Russian teams won't be drawn against each other until further notice.

As if the CL draw wasn't complicated enough.