Options

Chelseas new look squad

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Filipe Luis, Diego Costa, Thibaut Courtois going to be a bit like the old Atheltico squad from last season plus another player from Spain Cesc Fabregas.

I suppose signing half of the Spanish league winners plus finalists in the Champions League can't be a bad thing?

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Have they given up on FFP again then? I know they sold Luiz, but their wage bill is ever increasing.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    Have they given up on FFP again then? I know they sold Luiz, but their wage bill is ever increasing.

Don't forget Lampard, Cole and Eto'o have all left too. I expect we'll offload some others in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forgert Lampard, Cole and Eto'o have all left too.

Good point, forgot about those two.

It would be nice to see Chelsea using some of the 428 (approx) youngsters they loan out continuously though instead of buying more stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lampard and Cole left aswell though.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    Good point, forgot about those two.

It would be nice to see Chelsea using some of the 428 (approx) youngsters they loan out continuously though instead of buying more stars.

Think that seems to be part of the club's plan these days for meeting FFP. Sign young players, loan them out and sell on for a profit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Think that seems to be part of the club's plan these days for meeting FFP. Sign young players, loan them out and sell on for a profit.

Nothing against Chelsea but i'd like a stop putting to that, god knows how. They just stockpile players who never play for them.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing against Chelsea but i'd like a stop putting to that, god knows how. They just stockpile players who never play for them.

But its just business.

Buying a player cheap, loaning them and then selling on for a profit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    But its just business.

Buying a player cheap, loaning them and then selling on for a profit.

Yes, but i'd like to see less 'business' in football.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but i'd like to see less 'business' in football.

And if Chelsea did that then it's the "sugar daddy" comments.

If you want to be successful you need money to spend and there are a number of ways to do it in football today. You can go down the Super Daddy route but that can only last so long so the next best option is to buy players cheap and sell them on for profits.

It's been the life blood of smaller clubs for years and the larger clubs are just adapting that model. They can afford to buy more cheaper players and have better resources to improve them and better contacts.

If Darlington Utd bought a player for a few grand and then sold them for 25m it's great but when clubs like Chelsea do it "it's the curse of modern football".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    And if Chelsea did that then it's the "sugar daddy" comments.

If you want to be successful you need money to spend and there are a number of ways to do it in football today. You can go down the Super Daddy route but that can only last so long so the next best option is to buy players cheap and sell them on for profits.

It's been the life blood of smaller clubs for years and the larger clubs are just adapting that model. They can afford to buy more cheaper players and have better resources to improve them and better contacts.

If Darlington Utd bought a player for a few grand and then sold them for 25m it's great but when clubs like Chelsea do it "it's the curse of modern football".

In your example though, Darlington would likely be buying players to play in their team. The selling on factor is a consequence of that. Chelsea in a lot of cases are buying players they have no intention of ever playing just to sell on. For me that's not what football is about. But I agree that they have to make money somehow yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In your example though, Darlington would likely be buying players to play in their team. The selling on factor is a consequence of that. Chelsea in a lot of cases are buying players they have no intention of ever playing just to sell on. For me that's not what football is about. But I agree that they have to make money somehow yes.

Does it matter who they play for? As long as they are playing it dont matter who bought them surely?

Darlington could never hope to afford or find the sort of talent that a club like Chelsea could. This way they can get players in and it costs them less. They dont have to worry about giving a player a long term contract and him not being as good as they thought or even if they get a major injury just after signing for them. If they get relegated or suffer major money issues they just return the player.

They still getting the player but its saving them money and they are gaining access to a much better level of player. Clubs like that would have acess to a very small amount of talent, This way they have access to talent WORLDWIDE.

Football is a global sport now and it allows clubs a chance of getting players they would otherwise have no chance of getting
  • Options
    thegreytistthegreytist Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Are they going to be able to name enough English players in their Champions League squad at this rate?
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they going to be able to name enough English players in their Champions League squad at this rate?

its home grown players, not "english"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    its home grown players, not "english"

Yep for example Fabregras is a "homegrown" player
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence but why can't this just be discussed in the existing Chelsea thread?

Mind you at least it's not a 'insert name here' are going to get relegated thread!
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Mind you at least it's not a 'insert name here' are going to get relegated thread!

Give it time. Can we break the current record of halfway through the first game of the season as with Liverpool a couple of years ago?
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In another part of the football universe recent premier league boys Blackpool are struggling to put up a starting eleven.

How the other half live eh? :(
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't like it either, I've said so in our supporters thread. But it's just the way of the world in football these days. I dare say some of the young players never see Stamford Bridge, apart from a short visit to sign their contract.
    It seems peculiar to me, players are bought as much for their investment potential as they are for strengthening the team. But it seems to work, and everyone else is playing the same game, so who am I to argue.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Give it time. Can we break the current record of halfway through the first game of the season as with Liverpool a couple of years ago?

Liverpool just lost their first pre-season friendly with a late goal. That's us relegated, then.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    No offence but why can't this just be discussed in the existing Chelsea thread?

Thought the same. No need for this thread at all.
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    It's not often I'll defend Chelsea but I can't really see that they're doing anything wrong here. They were a "sugar daddy" club and could have just lived on RA millions every season but they seem to be trying to generate a decent income through the business they're now in a position to take advantage of.

The young players they sign should know full well what they're getting into and Chelsea are taking the risk. Take Lukaku for example, while they will probably make a profit on him it's not like they bought him cheap! They're putting their money up and they have the right to make a profit on it.

That's still better than an owner sticking in endless money or ticket prices being put up through the roof.

Also - FFP is still a load of toss that will never work or achieve what people want it to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperTed_ wrote: »
    It's not often I'll defend Chelsea but I can't really see that they're doing anything wrong here. They were a "sugar daddy" club and could have just lived on RA millions every season but they seem to be trying to generate a decent income through the business they're now in a position to take advantage of.

The young players they sign should know full well what they're getting into and Chelsea are taking the risk. Take Lukaku for example, while they will probably make a profit on him it's not like they bought him cheap! They're putting their money up and they have the right to make a profit on it.

That's still better than an owner sticking in endless money or ticket prices being put up through the roof.

Also - FFP is still a load of toss that will never work or achieve what people want it to.

I reckon they are only selling due to fair play as Man city have a smaller squad for the CL because of this fair play thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SuperTed_ wrote: »

You make it sound like Chelsea have decided to become sustainable rather than FFP forcing them to. Trust me, without FFP Chelsea would still be losing £100m a year.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon they are only selling due to fair play as Man city have a smaller squad for the CL because of this fair play thing.

If they didn't sell they would have far too many players.
    I can't see a problem with buying and then selling for profit.
    If the player is good enough he will play for the first team.