Why is it called Traffic AND Travel

2»

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    Not a section of road that I travel these days, but there is a short section of the Edinburgh city bypass, near Ikea, where the Radio Newcastle signal on 96.0 is not wiped out by the high powered R4 signal from Blackhill on 95.8.
    If you happened to be driving there at just the right (or wrong) time, you would get the latest on the Tyne Tunnel and other interesting stuff that was happening 100 miles away.

There are always going to be places where that will happen, only takes a second to cancel on the radio - provided the station doing the Travel News identifies themself.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely nobody in London has their radio set to switch for RDS traffic? Half the pirates put out the flag constantly!
    I haven't found that a problem; my Sony car radio seems to respond only to a step change on the traffic flag rather than a permanent signal. Also, I suspect that Ofcom are pretty active against pirates that abuse the TA facility or Flag 31.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think it was only commercial stations that used a crude in-band audible tone system though presume they have upgraded now (don't know because never listen to them).

It is crude, but very effective, because it's 'jock proof'. They will always remember to play the travel jingle (often followed by a bed of bass heavy jungle music etc, to help render the actual travel news difficult to hear) rather than flick a switch or hit a special button on the touch-screen

It also helps to sub consciously alert non RDS equipped/enabled listeners that there's some travel news.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then when they did run more frequent traffic reports during the week, they often forget to turn the bloody thing off afterwards. Made me wonder whether there was some way that listening figures could be recorded just after the traffic reports had finished, landing all those extra listeners to the WM figures in the vital seconds it took people to hit the manual override.;-)

You often get a long promo at the end of the travel news before the RDS kicks you off

"Thanks David, coming up in the morning on the breakfast show, we will be talking about the future of A with the leader of the council, and also interviewing B and C who are on at the theatre next week, and will be looking ahead to the weekend of sport, that's the breakfast show with Y and Z, tomorrow from 6.
    #Call the Jamdodger line on 0330 123 0181, BBC Radio Z"
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely nobody in London has their radio set to switch for RDS traffic? Half the pirates put out the flag constantly!

They do, but I've driven around London and the London area from years with TA enabled while tuned to a BBC national station, and I've NEVER had a pirate jump in, nor should they if the radio conforms to correct TA/EON vectoring logic. (Some don't)