Tony Blackburn to return to the BBC

Comments

• Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    I now third what you have said.
    I'm so glad he is back on Radio 2 but is Friday Nights (just for an hour) really the show that will be his swansong. I think something else is lurking and this is just a pre cursor to another appointment (SOTS maybe) ???????????

I couldn't do with TB reading out endless texts on a Saturday morning just to massage his ego. SOTS is not that kind of show. The loyal listeners would leave Radio 2 in their droves if the format of the show changed. If Brian stepped down the presenter would have to be someone with a similar style to BM or it would be rejected.

Tony going to Friday nights is obviously a sop to keep him out of court. I wouldn't expect him to progress much beyond an hour a week. He got back to the BBC, Tony Hall kept out of court and saved the BBc some money. That is the deal. After a year or so I wouldn't be surprised if TB was gone altogether. If he was dropped in twelve months time he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    I couldn't do with TB reading out endless texts on a Saturday morning just to massage his ego. SOTS is not that kind of show. The loyal listeners would leave Radio 2 in their droves if the format of the show changed. If Brian stepped down the presenter would have to be someone with a similar style to BM or it would be rejected.

Tony going to Friday nights is obviously a sop to keep him out of court. I wouldn't expect him to progress much beyond an hour a week. He got back to the BBC, Tony Hall kept out of court and saved the BBc some money. That is the deal. After a year or so I wouldn't be surprised if TB was gone altogether. If he was dropped in twelve months time he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

That wording is un called for. You do not know the circumstances it's just speculation and your thinking.
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony is too forgiving and they're taking advantage of that. I'd personally tell the BBC to stick it.

Me too. I'd never go back.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony is too forgiving and they're taking advantage of that. I'd personally tell the BBC to stick it.

I'm with you on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    That wording is un called for. You do not know the circumstances it's just speculation and your thinking.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way Tony MIGHT get POTP back is if Gambo resigned or, god forbid, died..
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I'm with you on that.

I think it shows the class of the man to put what happened behind him, and carry on doing what he clearly enjoys doing on the biggest available platform. What good is there in telling them to 'stick it', and deny yourself that sort of opportunity. I imagine there's a lot of goodwill in the Radio 2 team for him to return, so why wouldn't he?
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    It's great Tony's returning but it's not such a good day in my view.

First he should have been given a public apology and compensated for lost earnings

Plus, why are they shoving him on a Friday graveyard slot? >:(

He was pulling in millions with his Saturday afternoon show. Put him back on there!!!>:(>:(

Yes it's great, no public apology and compensation needed, the compensation is Tony reinstated and it's not good to dwell on the past, look forward not back.

I wouldn't call 7pm on BBC Radio 2 - 'graveyard shift' at all.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    Spot on post Rich Tea,!! I agree with every word you say,
    Cheers RadioJohn. ;-)
    The only way Tony MIGHT get POTP back is if Gambo resigned or, god forbid, died..
    It's common knowledge that everyone within BBC radio (not to mention everywhere else) was disgusted by Tony's dismissal. What interests me is the role of the controller of Radio 2 from now on. He presumably has free rein to decide his schedule and who's where in that. One has to also imagine that he is not bound by any interference from upon high about what he can do. Therefore if he decided to place Tony back on POTP then so be it, unless there has been some kind of spiteful deal in which it states he must not return to that show. Who knows? I'd also imagine Gambo feels just a touch awkward this evening as he made it quite clear that he was forced into the POTP slot, or as he succinctly put it "I was told to do it".

Unlike David, I would be quite astonished if Tony stayed at just one hour per Friday and did not feature more prominently again. Radio 2 know he's highly popular and listenable and his atrocious treatment will only have gained him even more interest and admirers.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    colinwill wrote: »
    The BBC never wanted to sack him... The BBC were right to punish him regardless of his innocence... There is no suspicion he did anything wrong... The BBC were right to sack him... the BBC are right to bring him back... There will be the usual BBC bashing from people... but that's ignorance for you.

Umm.... Yeeees.

Like you, dear reader, I've noticed the white cider in Lidl dropping in price recently, too.
  • Options
    phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Could it be that if Brian Matthew is retiring that Sounds of the Sixties is moving to an hour long Friday night slot?.

You could be right there as Sounds of the Sixties is produced by Unique Productions the same as Pick of The Pops and Tony could be reunited with his old producer Phil Swern.

Phil Swern use to produce Tony on Pick of The Pops and still produces the programme for Paul Gambaccini and he also currently produces Sounds of the Sixties with Brian Matthew.

Sounds of the Sixties would set the right mood for Friday Night Is Music Night. In the run up to January we have Sounds of the Fifties with Leo Green replacing Desmond Carrington setting the mood for Friday Night Is Music Night.

I don't think Tony will have Soul and Dance in the lead up to Friday Night Is Music Night.

Or it could be Tony is going to play his personal favourites just like he does on the Greatest Hits Network on Sunday.
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your last suggestion makes more sense, I think. Does not restrict Tony to the classics.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common sense has prevailed. A precedent of sort was set when Paul Gambaccini twice mentioned Tony in about the last 6 weeks on Pick of the Pops.

AS he launched Radio 1 in 1967, not only is it encouraging that he looks destined to be on the BBC on the 50th anniversary, but he could indeed be a successor to Brian Matthew on Sounds of the Sixties, as hinted above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony was right to stand his ground and come back. He never did anything wrong. The BBC were just trying to find any scapegoat cause they never got there man Saville. So what if he saw things so did many at that time, have they been punished? Probably right tony lawyer would have argued and come up with some reasonable negotiation, but that's a private matter between the corporation, Tony and his legal team.
    At least he's back where he belongs at the Beeb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets close this saga of ifs, who's etc. It's sorted
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    What interests me is the role of the controller of Radio 2 from now on. He presumably has free rein to decide his schedule and who's where in that .
    There will be a new r2 controller soon
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2016/10/radio-2-boss-bob-shennan-named-director-of-bbc-radio/
    Commercial radio are dropping 60s songs as they do not appeal to age groups advertisers want. So will be good for r2 to keep many 60s songs.
    Saw the red button version of Sounds of the eighties, Tony would be good to do a radio with pictures Sounds of the 60s, the downside is not many equivilent "pop videos" were made in the period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common sense has prevailed. A precedent of sort was set when Paul Gambaccini twice mentioned Tony in about the last 6 weeks on Pick of the Pops.

AS he launched Radio 1 in 1967, not only is it encouraging that he looks destined to be on the BBC on the 50th anniversary, but he could indeed be a successor to Brian Matthew on Sounds of the Sixties, as hinted above.

Brian doesn't need replacing. I am listening to him as I write. He sounds on fine form.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Brian doesn't need replacing. I am listening to him as I write. He sounds on fine form.
    Brian is 88 so providing his health is OK has at least 2 years before he meets Desmond Carrington's age! (a record for a weekly show? or average age of a Angel radio presenter?)
  • Options
    John_ChJohn_Ch Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    Agreed Sara Cox didn't start her radio careeer until about 1999, so too young for sounds of 90s let alone 80s, what you need is a presenter who was at their peak and a big name in contemporary music broadcasting for the decade in question, sounds of the 60s and 70s have it spot on.

80s could be... Steve Wright, Bruno Brooks, Gary Davies, Simon Bates, Mike Read
    90s could be... Chris Evans (did a pilot on his breakfast show and hosted the most 90s music tv show I can think of), Simon Mayo, Mark Goodier. Jo Whiley, Mark Radcliffe (with Marc Riley?), Chris Moyles.
    00s could be Sara Cox, Edith Bowman, Scott Mills

Grimshaw shouldn't be anywhere near R2 until Sounds of the 10s, based on when 80s launched this should be in the 2040s when he's pushing 60.

Grimshaw shouldn't be anywhere near a microphone, anywhere!
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Brian is 88 so providing his health is OK has at least 2 years before he meets Desmond Carrington's age! (a record for a weekly show? or average age of a Angel radio presenter?)
    I think Desmond Carrington is the BBC's longest serving presenter. 72 years as a professional actor, 70 years on the air, 36 years of a weekly programme on BBC Radio 2. I will miss Desmonds shows as i've listened for years and am recording his last four.

I'm glad Tony is back. The way in which the matter was dealt with at the time was very badly handled and quite disgusting imo.

As for Tony on Desmonds slot, whether he's actually going to continue "The Music Goes 'Round" i don't know as i wouldn't have marked him out for that. I think Len Goodman would be better suited to it but that's my personal opinion.

Tony would make the ideal DJ to take on Sounds of the 60s and as you say, Brian is now 88 so only a couple of years younger than Desmond.

Glad to have you back Tony!! :)
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a format for Tony on Friday evenings: A retro album chart mixed with the brand new top 10 album chart along the lines of Fluff's POTP Take 2 on Capital. It's actually a format that would probably suit Gambo more so after six months they could swap shows with no loss of face either way! A two hour show would be better though.

I'm going to predict again that while Tony may take over Saturday breakfast at some point he won't take over SOTS. If you look at his entire career he has never been keen on restricting the music he can play. But great to see such a legend return.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we think he will be allowed to do the New Years Eve show again this year on Radio 2 from 10pm until 1am? That has been a really great listen with sensational music and a great atmosphere these past few years and unlike so many shows at that time he was actually live. That would be a great way to come back to Radio 2.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    I've got a format for Tony on Friday evenings: A retro album chart mixed with the brand new top 10 album chart along the lines of Fluff's POTP Take 2 on Capital. It's actually a format that would probably suit Gambo more so after six months they could swap shows with no loss of face either way! A two hour show would be better though.

I'm going to predict again that while Tony may take over Saturday breakfast at some point he won't take over SOTS. If you look at his entire career he has never been keen on restricting the music he can play. But great to see such a legend return.

What makes a Sixties show restrictive, that a Soul show doesn't? On Radio London, Tony did many Soul shows :confused
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Do we think he will be allowed to do the New Years Eve show again this year on Radio 2 from 10pm until 1am? That has been a really great listen with sensational music and a great atmosphere these past few years and unlike so many shows at that time he was actually live. That would be a great way to come back to Radio 2.

It doesn't seem like it Rich, Tony just posted on facebook that he starts on January 1st??

This is what he wrote!!

"Some of you are slightly confused about what I'll be doing next year,well I'll be doing everything I'm doing now,Thames Radio, Dragon Radio, The greatest Hits,and KMFM and I'm delighted to say returning as from January 1st next year to BBC Radio 2 at 7pm every Friday with a new show, and returning to BBC Radio London every Sunday at 12 pm for the return of Soul On Sunday and also returning to BBC Radio Berkshire every Friday at 10am."
  • Options
    wirelesswonderwirelesswonder Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like it Rich, Tony just posted on facebook that he starts on January 1st??

This is what he wrote!!

"Some of you are slightly confused about what I'll be doing next year,well I'll be doing everything I'm doing now,Thames Radio, Dragon Radio, The greatest Hits,and KMFM and I'm delighted to say returning as from January 1st next year to BBC Radio 2 at 7pm every Friday with a new show, and returning to BBC Radio London every Sunday at 12 pm for the return of Soul On Sunday and also returning to BBC Radio Berkshire every Friday at 10am."

No mention of the Sunday morning shows on Berkshire or 3Cr. Some Sundays I have to work, so I would listen to Berkshire in the morning, squeeze in the first hour of POTP on the iplayer, then move over to London at midday. At 3 it was the second hour of POTP the finally drive home listening to him on Clyde 2. It's pretty boring these days without him