Would you buy songs about men in love with other men

josh2721josh2721 Posts: 518
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not really sure if this has been done in music. Obviously, George Michael has pushed the envelope a little with some of his material but I have yet to hear a popular song about a man being in love with another man. Isn't it time this happens considering it's 2010 and gay activism started in the late 1960's. Would you be repulsed to hear Joe McElderry sing about how he enjoys making love to a stocky, rugby player? Or would you consider it not a problem and judge the track for on its merits? :

Comments

• eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not, because I generally hate love songs full stop, regardless of who they are aimed at.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think it would ever happen tbh. No one would buy it.
  • josh2721josh2721 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we all know George, Elton and Joe are gay so what's the problem with them expressing it through music? It's hardly shocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not necessarily saying they should be released as singles but why not have a few album tracks about their man love?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    josh2721 wrote: »
    Would you be repulsed to hear Joe McElderry sing about how he enjoys making love to a stocky, rugby player? Or would you consider it not a problem and judge the track for on its merits? :

I couldn't listen to it, but then i'm inherantly prejudiced against rugby players.

Seriously though, no, in the grand scheme of things, no, if a song is good i'll happily listen to it. No one had an issue with Amy winehouse singing valerie, without changing the lyrics so yeh, bit of a non issue these days.

The song your describing about enjoying making love to a stocky rugby player sounds a bt repulsive, but I would feel that way if it were sung by a man or woman. :p
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Bob Mould is openly gay and he is one of my favourite artists. We all feel love, hate, pain and angst. Doesn't matter if it's about a man or woman. The feelings are the same.

A great musician who has fronted two great bands in Sugar and Hüsker Dü.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very difficult to write a love song without using the word she, girl, woman etc

I think it's time for gay artists to be a bit braver and express their sexuality through music. It's a big part of their lives after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I read the literature of gay men such as Quentin Crisp, so why should I not listen to the songs of gat men too? A lot of Morrissey's songs are sexually ambiguous at the least and I adore them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rufus Wainwright, HELLO PEOPLE. I'm not that big a fan but I'm sure a number of his songs are about his own experiences as a gay man.

John Grant's album is a great example as well. Explicit and unsettling at times but probably all the more beautiful for it.

Alongside these you have songs by Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy, Hidden Cameras, The Veils... there are tons of examples, to be honest.
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Isn't the Elton John/Bernie Taupin song the most famous?
    It was written while they were together. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22sjt57FNWc
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    A lot of Morrissey's songs are sexually ambiguous at the least and I adore them.

I was going to bring up Morrissey as well. Queen are another band that used gay material and sold humungeously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I was thinking this recently actually.

I mean, would it really cause that much of a stir to simply to use 'he' instead of 'she' etc.? Would people even notice if the song was good enough?

There would probably be a bigger stir if a (popular) male singer was getting more detailed about another guy, like in a sexy way.

But those taboo's aren't going to get broken down anytime soon if these gay singers (of which there are plenty) don't push them. Whilst I can appreciate some are uber controlled and others are probably shit scared of damaging their career - there's still an element of 'man up'. Literally. You're gay, we know you're gay...if you continue having success despite that then there's a logical step to take.

I think there's a distinct lack of sexualised gay men in the media, in general. The gay image has had to be toned down to counteract the overly sexualised (and therefore demonised) image they had before. It's all inoffensive Gok Wan's, Alan Carr's, Joe McElderry's, Stephen Fry's etc. We need a bad ass gay to tackle the boundaries.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not a fan of love songs really but I don't think it would matter. I never choose to buy a song based on the lyrics.
    Forum Member
    josh2721 wrote: »
    It's very difficult to write a love song without using the word she, girl, woman etc

I think it's time for gay artists to be a bit braver and express their sexuality through music. It's a big part of their lives after all.

Why is it any more difficult?
    I wonder which was the very first?
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if i like a song, i like it, regardless of the subject material. i cannot imagine not liking a song because of the lyrical content.
    Forum Member
    *Muses* All the young dudes?

*Still pondering* "Lola" was about a transvestite they say....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXmMMSo47s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't listen to the lyrics so it'd go straight over my head... :l
    Forum Member
    james-dean wrote: »
    I don't listen to the lyrics so it'd go straight over my head... :l

:D Me too. I hear something entirely different half the time.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Shop Boys have several songs like that. And yes, of course I'd listen to that type of song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really interesting question. I don't think it would work to be fair. Neutral is the best way to go.

The funny thing about this is that if it is about women, it would not seen as controversial.

For example, if you take the song Katy's "I Kiss A Girl" and change it to "I Kiss A Guy" it would not be a hit at all.
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well Bloc Party are one of my favourite bands and they have a song called "I Still Remember" which is about a same sex relationship so.. yes i would buy it.. i just see it as a love song which could be interpreted in different ways

its like if a female singer like Beth Gibbons sings a love song i'd still be able to relate to it.. just like you'll hear females singing along to Robbie Williams "Angels" or something and change the words to "he offers me protection"
  • joan13joan13 Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not mind about the same sex lyrics... but the radio stations in the USA would not play Adam Lambert's Fever as he sings "There He goes my baby" .
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cleverest songs are written so they can apply to almost anyone. Unless the lyrics are very explicit (which wouldn't appeal to me personally) there shouldn't be an issue. How do we know we haven't been bopping away to hidden-meaning, same-sex lyrics without even realising it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Young's last album had him singing a love song with the lyric "baby boy" so no doubt there what gender he was referring to. Not sure how it would have gone down as a single release though. I'd like to think it would make no difference but I have a feeling it would.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,685
    Forum Member
    If the song was good I would. I wouldn't care about hearing a guy plead his love for a guy. I have a song on my iPod by Black Kids called "I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance". Even though it's a guy singing it, it starts off with "You are the girl, that I've been dreaming of, ever since I was a little girl" - which is a lesbian lyric, and I still like the song.

Same sex material is pouring into music videos now so I don't see why not. Katy Perry's video for Firework and Pink's video for Raise Your Glass both have 2 men kissing in them, so if they can do that I don't see why people should complain about a guy singing about a guy or a girl and a girl. A lot of time people just disregard the lyrics and go with the beat.