Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Mark CMark C Posts: 20,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    OK, thanks, I see what you mean. When you stop using one licence plate and go back to the old one, aren't you supposed to return the plate you are no longer using,

No, my lad has a personalised plate that he's transferred onto two vehicles now. They advise you to destroy the plates, but he kept hold of his, which was a good move, because when he de-registered the personalised plates for his car, the DVLA allocated the original reg back to it.

Don't keep them in the car though, keep them in the house, hidden away.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    No, my lad has a personalised plate that he's transferred onto two vehicles now. They advise you to destroy the plates, but he kept hold of his, which was a good move, because when he de-registered the personalised plates for his car, the DVLA allocated the original reg back to it.

Don't keep them in the car though, keep them in the house, hidden away.

Thanks (and to others) for the insight, all very interesting. It seems there is a degree of consensus that the most likely explanation is that when the 1991 Porsche was acquired, it came with both plates. As to whether the TG crew knew about the second plate, it seems more likely to me that they did, rather than it was hidden in the boot, but who knows.

Shall we call this "licence gate" or "plate gate"?
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to consider national sensibilities.

Be honest how many of you would have considered H982 FKL to be offensive before the controversy blew up?

Even more tenuous is the claim that the other registrations relate to the number of fatalities even though neither number bears much resemblance to the the real figures.

The local politicians will in that region will use any excuse to invoke the memories of the conflict to raise their profile in any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    You have to consider national sensibilities.

Be honest how many of you would have considered H982 FKL to be offensive before the controversy blew up?

If it was being driven around Argentina by someone with a history of winding up foreigners?
    Even more tenuous is the claim that the other registrations relate to the number of fatalities even though neither number bears much resemblance to the the real figures.

Agreed, that seems extremely unlikely.
    The local politicians will in that region will use any excuse to invoke the memories of the conflict to raise their profile in any way.

And Clarkson and co have gone out of their way in the past to offend people in the countries they visit or foreigners generally.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,981
    Forum Member
    Thanks (and to others) for the insight, all very interesting. It seems there is a degree of consensus that the most likely explanation is that when the 1991 Porsche was acquired, it came with both plates. As to whether the TG crew knew about the second plate, it seems more likely to me that they did, rather than it was hidden in the boot, but who knows.

Shall we call this "licence gate" or "plate gate"?

Hen gaff sounds better. :)

And on that bombshell....oops another reference to the Falklands!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Hen gaff sounds better. :)

And on that bombshell....oops another reference to the Falklands!

It's just a minefield (oops another Falklands reference)
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    If it was being driven around Argentina by someone with a history of winding up foreigners?

Agreed, that seems extremely unlikely.

And Clarkson and co have gone out of their way in the past to offend people in the countries they visit or foreigners generally.

Actually, Top Gear (as a global franchise) has this as part of it's charm. If you ever watch the US version they're always going on about Britain's with their "Wonky Teeth" and such like.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Here's what I wrote at the time of the nursery time reports:

Nothing about "it was a Clarkson issue", just that he made insulting remarks towards someone from Mexico, which he did. Not for the first time you're making things up.

You seem to have forgotten that it wasn't just me, there were other posters, who engaged in a multi-page debate with your good self about it being instigated by Hammond, i suggest you look back further, or another thread, as we have gone on about Top Gear in a number of threads now.

I didn't "make it up".

Have you read the Independent article? I am entitled to have, and state, an opinion as to whether or I think that they are telling the truth or not.

Of course you're entitled to do it, But you have made your mind up already, a "knee jerk" based on this, and other Top Gear issues.

And, i'll bet you that your initial impression has been coloured and influenced on what you have read before - and i'll bet you that (each time) your opinion (stated as fact) has been a little as time has gone on, and more theories and facts come to light.

I formed my opinion after the first article on this story I read, which was the BBC one. So the Beeb aren't being too clever, blowing up the story to brainwash me into thinking that a host and the producer of one of their most popular programmes are probably fibbing about the licence plates.

Who's to sat the person who wrote the article knew all the facts? Usually they don't - and they make things up, or have their opinion coloured by things.

Journalists are always doing this - and it passes on to those that read it....
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone pointed out elsewhere that it is illegal to put incorrect plates on a UK registered car even outside the UK but of course film and TV do so all the time. They seem to be saying that they had a mob stirred up to attack them and put the old plate on to try and avoid 'offending' them further, I can't see a UK court considering that a serious offence. It has also been pointed out the 'Falklands veterans' who claim to be offended are mainly around 20 years old!

The Chilean authorities appear to have taken to taken a very robust attitude to requests from the Argentinians to stop them entering the country and most seem to be Top Gear fans.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Who's to sat the person who wrote the article knew all the facts? Usually they don't - and they make things up, or have their opinion coloured by things.

Journalists are always doing this - and it passes on to those that read it....

Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. – Erwin Knoll
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to have forgotten that it wasn't just me, there were other posters, who engaged in a multi-page debate with your good self about it being instigated by Hammond, i suggest you look back further, or another thread, as we have gone on about Top Gear in a number of threads now. .

Just because more than one person on this forum can't (or chooses not to) read and comprehend what is clearly written isn't my problem, nor does it change what I wrote.
    I didn't "make it up".
    Sure you did, just like you made up claims that BARB accept volunteers to their viewing panel, and that the UK version of The Voice would be on Australian TV.
    Of course you're entitled to do it, But you have made your mind up already, a "knee jerk" based on this, and other Top Gear issues.

I made up my mind after I read the original BBC article and applied common sense. You might give the latter a try some time.
    And, i'll bet you that your initial impression has been coloured and influenced on what you have read before

My impression is influenced by known facts about what Clarkson and co have said and done in the past, I have already stated that. If this was e.g. Ewan McGregor filming a special in Argentina riding around on his motorcycle with that licence plate, I'd probably be more inclined to believe it was a coincidence. But based on Top Gear's track record, I don't.

Do you have any observations of your own to add to this thread, or are you just going to continue to make assumptions, the vast majority of which are incorrect, about what you perceive to be how I form my opinions? I suppose this type of obession over my posts could be considered flattering, but it's rather creepy. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a DS restraining order?
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even more so when they discover the official colour of Hammond's car is Goose Green:o
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Just think how outraged people would be if an Argy drove a car around England with the registration HND060D or H986HOG. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Just think how outraged people would be if an Argy drove a car around England with the registration HND060D or H986HOG. :D

If they went north and passed Hadrian's Wall the driver would be immediately proclaimed the new King of Scotland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, I haven't a clue, hat is that supposed to mean?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My impression is influenced by known facts about what Clarkson and co have said and done in the past, I have already stated that. If this was e.g. Ewan McGregor filming a special in Argentina riding around on his motorcycle with that licence plate, I'd probably be more inclined to believe it was a coincidence. But based on Top Gear's track record, I don't.

Have you any idea how hard it must have been to manage to find a car with a registration that could be construed as offensive and buy it?

So, how about a challenge, if you really think it was done on purpose. Using the internet, find a used 928 for sale, with a budget of say £7k, and it must have been fitted with a registration that makes a word or phrase (that isn't a private plate)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I haven't a clue, hat is that supposed to mean?
    I suppose you need to know a bit about top level football to get it and I can see from your location that may not be your strong suit. :p
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Someone pointed out elsewhere that it is illegal to put incorrect plates on a UK registered car even outside the UK but of course film and TV do so all the time.
    With permission and (mostly) on closed roads and/or specific locations though. It won't be illegal. Just like there are special phone number set aside for film and TV use :)
  • Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you any idea how hard it must have been to manage to find a car with a registration that could be construed as offensive and buy it?

So, how about a challenge, if you really think it was done on purpose. Using the internet, find a used 928 for sale, with a budget of say £7k, and it must have been fitted with a registration that makes a word or phrase (that isn't a private plate)

I dunno if it's already been said, but it doesn't need to have been a mega car search.

They might have just found the car with the plate, and thought it would be funny to take to Argentina. If they were looking for an "FKL" plate, then starting in Nottingham (was it?) would be a good place.

Ello... http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C498989
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Monty_Hall wrote: »
    I dunno if it's already been said, but it doesn't need to have been a mega car search.

They might have just found the car with the plate, and thought it would be funny to take to Argentina. If they were looking for an "FKL" plate, then starting in Nottingham (was it?) would be a good place.

So, did they choose all the cars to use in Argintina based on the hope that they could get one with a plate that would be subtly offensive?

Given that they bought the car in August, which means they must have left it late to get the a car with the right plate for a shoot in September...(as opposed to buying a car that fitted the budget and type fairly late in the game which would have been far easier).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect that any of us could quote our registration number and the Argentinians (and their friends at the Daily Mirror) would find some way to be offended by it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you need to know a bit about top level football to get it and I can see from your location that may not be your strong suit. :p
    Not sure what a silly ball game has to do with it but the two groups of letters and numbers meant nothing to me either but I am sure the Argentinians and Daily Mirror can find some way to be offended by them.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monty_Hall wrote: »

This appears to be the advert for the 928 that TG bought, with the text now changed to say "cars wanted"
    It has five pictures, with the registration visible in none of them. (And you can look at the wayback site and see the same page as it was a month ago, so they haven't removed any pictures since then.

It is still technically possible that the BBC bought the car and then saw the reg and realised it could be taken as a Falklands reference, but it seems certain that they did not buy it because of the plate.

I suppose if the Trust wanted to get involved and investigate they could ask for all internal emails etc to check, but when it comes down to it why should we apologise for a tiny possible vague reference to the Falklands when they started the war and have not stopped going on about it since, including their Olympic and World cup stunts.

Even if Clarkson did absolutely do this deliberately why should we apologise? Have Argentina apologised for invading our territory? Or starting a war that cost many British lives?
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't anyone told the Argentines that BE11 END most likely refers to Clarkson himself?:confused:
    lundavra wrote: »
    Not sure what a silly ball game has to do with it but the two groups of letters and numbers meant nothing to me either but I am sure the Argentinians and Daily Mirror can find some way to be offended by them.

I read them as HAND OF GOD (referring to the '86 World Cup incident with Diego Maradona) & HEDGEHOG (unless it's one of Maradona's nicknames, I have no idea.)