The Armstrong and Miller show

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
Forum Member
I watched the opening episode from the 1st series on Dave last night, I'd seen it before but it was very funny still :D

Fave sketches:
The over honest father
The spoof teacher ads ("So I decided to become a teacher") :D
The filthy Flanders and Swann characters
"KILL THEM" :D
The one where the bloke is having an affair with his mate's wife :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like A&M too but really dislike the Russian football owner sketches. The airmen are classics and the dad and boy sketches are very clever.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my favourite Armstrong and Miller sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6EMNn5u5uk
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series is a good laugh.

Some of the skits don't always work - the Russian football owner one does go on a bit, but on the whole it's pretty good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solare - that clip is fabulous! When the waiter faints - hysterical.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I like the "Gordon Ramsay" sketch. Funnily enough I was thinking about it a few weeks back and was racking my brain about what show i'd seen it on :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the 'be a teacher' sketches and the ones in which the newly-weds keep meeting the groom's newly divorced mate-as well as the running sketch in which the man keeps finding his workmate in suspicious circumstances with his wife.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Kill them' is rubbish. There very often isn't a joke at all in those sketches.

I wish some channel would repeat their very early shows. Stuff like 'Parsons & Lambkin (and Lambkin's mate Steve)' & their version of the story Euro 96 (told as if it were the story of The Beatles) were brilliant. They are more miss than hit for me these days, with some skits going on far too long.

And they need to get Sarah Alexander being naked back into the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Yes, I don't really get that one, either. :confused:
    Forum Member

I wish some channel would repeat their very early shows. Stuff like 'Parsons & Lambkin (and Lambkin's mate Steve)' & their version of the story Euro 96 (told as if it were the story of The Beatles) were brilliant. They are more miss than hit for me these days, with some skits going on far too long.

One of the channels was repeating the C4 series in the past year. It was either BBC4 or Comedy Central. I think it's probably the latter.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like it - especially on Comic relief after Mitchell and Webb left the room following the joint Airmen sketch.:D

Mmmmm - yes please ;)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Another fave of mine is the pilots :D

"He got shot down, it was like, really bad, he nearly died and everything" :D

"Kill them" is funny IMO because the guy seems no nice and normal beforehand (Santa, record producer) not a supervillain :D

Love the "be a teacher" sketches - the_last_resort.gov.uk :)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Armstrong and Miller are great. Really, the only sketches of theirs I don't like are the ones with the honeymoon couple and the guy who got dumped.

The airmen and Flanders and Swann are the best. I love some of their teacher sketches though and the ones with the exam invigilators - "face forward!"
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I loved the Be a Teacher sketch this week and the 1950's quiz - How Many Hats :D
  • blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member

Or just have 30 minutes of that. Or a whole day.

In fact, I'd sign up for a "Sarah Alexander Naked" channel and then tune all the other channels so they all showed that one.

I think she's hot is what I'm basically trying to say here.
  • lebbon1985lebbon1985 Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Love Armstrong and Miller. I like the Flanders & Swann sketches the most. So very clever and very accurate. The pilots are good. I hope they don't milk them though.

New series starts on Saturday at 9:45pm.
    Completely the wrong day of the week for this type of programme. The showing times are going to vary each week. Surely a Thursday (shown along Qi) or a Friday would of been a far better day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lebbon1985 wrote: »

New series starts on Saturday at 9:45pm.
    Completely the wrong day of the week for this type of programme.

Is that a proper new series-i.e. first ever showing on BBC2, as opposed to a new lot of BBC4 repeat?
    Forum Member
    Is that a proper new series-i.e. first ever showing on BBC2, as opposed to a new lot of BBC4 repeat?
    Yes, it's series 3 (on BBC1).

Agree about the timeslot. Thurday or Friday would be better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I saw a filming for the new A&M series back in the summer. I was really good. Saw a new pair of characters and an existing pair- who I previously thought were a bit poo, but actually properly funny.

Although I agree the scheduling is typically appalling, I can't wait.

Standard :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive fan of A&M and can't wait for the new series which i think is starting this saturday.

If anyone is interested, they're on tour at the moment. I saw them in Liverpool last month and I would thoroughly recommend it! it's their first tour since 2001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a massive fan of A&M and can't wait for the new series which i think is starting this saturday.

If anyone is interested, they're on tour at the moment. I saw them in Liverpool last month and I would thoroughly recommend it! it's their first tour since 2001

They're also signing copies of their book at various venues: for details, check out their website.
  • yosebiteyosebite Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I think they A & M are great as well.

The Flanders & Swann skits are consistently hilarious (like "knocking off a crafty one" and "have you ever had a sh*t on a train?"). I am told that F & S themselves were known to have a dirty sense of humour but they would not have had the freedom to sing stuff like that so they will always be known for jovial mainstream songs like mud, mud glorious mud.

The trailer for the new series looks promising. I did not see any of their channel 4 work but I thought BBC Series 1 was better than series 2 so hopefully series 3 will be a return to peak form.

My favourite sketches are Gordon Ramsey from series 1 and the Krypton factor spoof from series 2 - both in the first programmes of the series.

It looks like I missed a treat with Sarah Alexander but Karen Hayley from the first BBC series is also gorgeous. She played the wife having the affair and in the first show of series 1 shown on digital last week she is found with her lover in her underwear in the midst of a kinky S&M session - yummy !

After the disappointment of the cringeworthy Harry & Paul series it will be good to have a really funny sketch show back
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yosebite wrote: »
    After the disappointment of the cringeworthy Harry & Paul series it will be good to have a really funny sketch show back

I like a lot of Harry and Paul, but I've found Armstrong and Miller to be more consistently funny in their previous series. Looking forward to their new series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I love A+M.

I went to see them live on Monday and I haven't laughed so hard for ages. Absolutely brilliant. Met them backstage afterwards and they are two really genuinely decent guys as well. Alexander is really quite handsome in the flesh :D

The Cavemen and the Pilots were the funniest but overall there wasn't a bad sketch. Looking forward to Sunday very much. Untill the. I shall watch my signed DVDs :D
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Armstrong & Miller. They film some of their sketches where I used to work (same place as Coleen Rooneys advert for Littlewoods was filmed).
    Looking forward to seeing them over the weekend.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kill them is great

Tuez les, in one episode