Options

NOT Barrowman Please

TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
Forum Member
✭✭
If Bruce is stepping down then please let us be spared having John Barrowman inflicted on us.

He's OK as far as Captain Jack but clearly not the all-round entertainment genius he believes himself to be.

I'd be happy to see Anton Du Beke taking over with his background in the show.

Comments

• Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anton would be a great host, but I'd miss seeing his ballroom dancing.
  • Options
    MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Do not want Barrowman
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This NO to Borrowman keeps popping up in DS SCD forum. As many as it pops up, I'll continue to say: no No NO a thousand times NO to Borrowman!

I hope the Christmas Special will convince a wider audience that Borrowman will be the nail to the SCD coffin in the future!:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    Why not?

Because the only reasons I've read so far have been "I don't like him".

How about some, I dunno, objective objections?
  • Options
    CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,488
    Forum Member
    "I don't like him" seems fair enough.

If they made him sign something that banned him from singing on the show, I'd reconsider...
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Camp, corny, unfunny, self-obsessed, mediocre singer etc. How many reasons do you want? His John'll Fix it Saturday show was cringeworthy.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Barrowman is multi-talented and the best person to replace Bruce on SCD - he must be - he more or less keeps on telling us so - that is why he must never host the show. I remember when he fell over on Dancing on Ice and was off the show that very same night. Talk about wearing a face like a slapped a** se, he just could not believe he wasn't going to win.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    Camp, corny, unfunny, self-obsessed, mediocre singer etc. How many reasons do you want?
    I want a reason that is based on his ability to do the job.

But OK, let's take yours one at a time:
    • Camp: Have you ever watched the show? Also, I don't think he is particularly camp. Clary is camp, Norton is camp. Barrowman, not so much.
    • Corny / unfunny: not at all like Bruce then.
    • Self-obsessed: Not at all like other TV presenters there then.
    • Mediocre singer: so he'd clearly raise the bar in that sense. I assume you've heard Bruce sing?
    His John'll Fix it Saturday show was cringeworthy.
    So what you're saying is, you don't like him.

Not that you think he'd do a bad job.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jb gives the impression that he thinks he is the star, whereas brucie is happy to pass that praise on to the dancers.
  • Options
    TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts in starting the thread were mainly that he is ridiculously over-rated in comparison to his actual abilities.

A bit like Pamela and the SCD panel, but that's another story... :eek:
  • Options
    PiggywigPiggywig Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was a choice between him and the choice mentioned on another thread, I'd choose JB anytime. I'd rather Anton, but if it came down to JB or the moron that is Vernon Kay, then I'd take JB. I'd stop watching if Vernon Kay was drafted in.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I like John but I wouldn't give him the job of presenting SCD. I've said on other threads I think it needs someone who's a bit more of a seasoned pro as a presenter, who could deliver it with a bit of gravitas, but maybe a bit of dry irreverence in the mix too (which is why I like Tom Bergeron on DWTS). My vote goes to Bill Turnbull.
  • Options
    Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    He put himself forward as a judge for our Song For Europe and then admitted he'd not watched the contest since 1976. And his choice for our entry: Scooch.

And the fact that he was voted off Dancing on Ice so quickly, when he was actually quite good, shows that he has not connected with the public.

But then SCD has included many things I have not liked this season, so the chances are they will go with him.

Instead, I feel it ought to be Steve Jones. A man who could probably draw in a few A listers from his black book alone.
  • Options
    reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidJames wrote: »
    Why not?

I like him, I've enjoyed him as a judge on the Lloyd Weber things, but I don't think he'd be right for Strictly. He's not tongue-in-cheek funny enough,
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    John Barrowman is multi-talented and the best person to replace Bruce on SCD - he must be - he more or less keeps on telling us so - that is why he must never host the show. I remember when he fell over on Dancing on Ice and was off the show that very same night. Talk about wearing a face like a slapped a** se, he just could not believe he wasn't going to win.;)

I started a similar thread a few months ago when there were the first stirrings that Barroman might be the new host.

I agree he should never be the host, but the BBC, who employ JB in entertainment largely because the few others all work for ITV, arent going to be creative or flash the cash to get a new presenter. I fear the decision is already made and sooner rather than later if Bruce steps down as the rumours continue.

I reckon if I looked up Barrowman in a Thesaurus it would probably come up with "Marmite". Nothing against him personally but iv heard too many people say they will not watch him, and if he wants to sing and even dance in weekly spots it will be a thousand times more irritating to many than Bruces attempts at jokes.

All those that want rid of Bruce should note a few things. Whoever the BBC choose to replace him will to a certain extent show how much they value it-and Iv seen a few comments in industry magazines asking the question about how long it will continue with regard to the fact that BBC1 has a new controller. When Bruce goes, whatever people think of him, it will be a watershed moment and part of the shows identity will go with him. Change can be dangerous.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camp, corny, unfunny, self-obsessed, mediocre singer etc. How many reasons do you want? His John'll Fix it Saturday show was cringeworthy.

Mediocre singers are not cast in lead roles in Sondheim musicals on Broadway.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like him, and would be happy for him to take over
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Why not?

His energy is all wrong for Strictly. He is too Hollywood for Strictly. The anchors need to be understated, just subtly there to push the proceedings along. If it were Barrowman I can see a musical number each week featuring him alone....

I genuinely think it should be Anton. I also think that Tess should be put out to pasture and Claudia bought in to replace her.

To me Anton is clearly the Chosen One as far as Saturday evening light entertainment goes.

xxx
  • Options
    INSOMNIA56INSOMNIA56 Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I started a similar thread a few months ago when there were the first stirrings that Barroman might be the new host.

I agree he should never be the host, but the BBC, who employ JB in entertainment largely because the few others all work for ITV, arent going to be creative or flash the cash to get a new presenter. I fear the decision is already made and sooner rather than later if Bruce steps down as the rumours continue.

I reckon if I looked up Barrowman in a Thesaurus it would probably come up with "Marmite". Nothing against him personally but iv heard too many people say they will not watch him, and if he wants to sing and even dance in weekly spots it will be a thousand times more irritating to many than Bruces attempts at jokes.

All those that want rid of Bruce should note a few things. Whoever the BBC choose to replace him will to a certain extent show how much they value it-and Iv seen a few comments in industry magazines asking the question about how long it will continue with regard to the fact that BBC1 has a new controller. When Bruce goes, whatever people think of him, it will be a watershed moment and part of the shows identity will go with him. Change can be dangerous.

???? where've you been recently, the BBC have 16% reduction in funding to deal with, think the Daily Heil might throw a fit if the BBC broke the bank to buy Tess's OH out of his contract with ITV. Don't have a problem with JB myself although Brian Conly's name was mentioned on another thread by somebody & i think he'd fit the bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moosifer wrote: »
    His energy is all wrong for Strictly. He is too Hollywood for Strictly.
    Blimey, did you not see the show this year?
    The anchors need to be understated, just subtly there to push the proceedings along.
    "Subtle" and "Strictly", not two concepts one normally associates together...
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, did you not see the show this year?

"Subtle" and "Strictly", not two concepts one normally associates together...

Moira Ross who was charged with "refreshing the brand" has actually trashed it instead, but the ratings or up, so who cares? The BBC don't.

Expect more "non dance related" additions next year in an attempt to "engage" an even wider audience.

If Bruce goes and she's given the chance to choose her own compere, (Doesn't bear thinking about it, does it?) you'll have thread after thread on here of posts pleading for Bruce's return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    INSOMNIA56 wrote: »
    ???? where've you been recently, the BBC have 16% reduction in funding to deal with, think the Daily Heil might throw a fit if the BBC broke the bank to buy Tess's OH out of his contract with ITV. Don't have a problem with JB myself although Brian Conly's name was mentioned on another thread by somebody & i think he'd fit the bill.

I know, i said the BBC arent going to flash the cash.

I havent been anywhere.

(Vernon Kays current ITV contract is only for a year anyway)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His energy is all wrong for Strictly. He is too Hollywood for Strictly. The anchors need to be understated, just subtly there to push the proceedings along. If it were Barrowman I can see a musical number each week featuring him alone....

I genuinely think it should be Anton. I also think that Tess should be put out to pasture and Claudia bought in to replace her.

To me Anton is clearly the Chosen One as far as Saturday evening light entertainment goes.

xxx

Lol , we have to stop this :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moira Ross who was charged with "refreshing the brand" has actually trashed it instead, but the ratings or up
    So she trashed the brand by increasing market share?

You seem to have an... interesting... concept of what "brand value" means. Can I recommend The Apprentice?
    If Bruce goes and she's given the chance to choose her own compere, (Doesn't bear thinking about it, does it?) you'll have thread after thread on here of posts pleading for Bruce's return.
    Meh.

Judging from the mass hysteria on here over the slightest change, you'll have thread after thread on here on pretty much any subject. It means nothing.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she trashed the brand by increasing market share?

You seem to have an... interesting... concept of what "brand value" means. Can I recommend The Apprentice?

Hmm you have an uninteresting way of interpreting what I said.
    What part of the new format would you call "refreshing?"

Read a few threads and you'll find the majority aren't in favour of some of the changes.

"Take That" and similar singers or groups without any dance content each week would pull up the ratings even more. I wouldn't call that "adding brand value" would you?
    Meh.

Judging from the mass hysteria on here over the slightest change, you'll have thread after thread on here on pretty much any subject. It means nothing.

Mass hysteria?

What planet are you on?

There's been a lot of sensible suggestions, have a look at a few of them before writing stuff like the inside pages of the Sun.

I'm not impressed and I doubt if many others would be either.

I'll leave you to watch reality rubbish like the Apprentice.