Taxi driver demanding money for damages to car

Comments

• whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_M wrote: »
    Ah, it all makes sense now, asking for something is harrassment, calling shopkeepers racial slurs. Talking about violence when someone has a difference of opinion.

cosmo: Are you a chav?

:D:D:D....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can still be taken to small claims court for the damages whether the police are interested or not.
    in this case the cost will be far greater than £50.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, it all makes sense now, asking for something is harrassment, calling shopkeepers racial slurs. Talking about violence when someone has a difference of opinion.

cosmo: Are you a chav?

Whoaaaa!!!

Racial slurs? You're making it up now sonny.

Back to reality now please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    A wayward trolley colliding with a car isn't going to be criminal damage unless there was clear intent to damage it. There are loads of chancers these days, and people trying it on all the time. I wouldn't hand over any money unless the law compelled me to.

On a balance of probabilities-the trolley hit the vehicle, the cabbie pointed out the damage in the same spot. Doesnt sound like much of a chancer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjm wrote: »
    can still be taken to small claims court for the damages whether the police are interested or not.
    in this case the cost will be far greater than £50.

Go for it.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a balance of probabilities-the trolley hit the vehicle, the cabbie pointed out the damage in the same spot. Doesnt sound like much of a chancer.

I've known people wait by cars in supermarkets before now trying to insist the car driver next to them is responsible for opening his door and denting theirs. It happens, people try it on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've known people wait by cars in supermarkets before now trying to insist the car driver next to them is responsible for opening his door and denting theirs. It happens, people try it on.

Bit of a difference between that situation, and a trolley smacking into the side of the car now isn't there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've also been in the carpark when someones trolley crashed into my friends car, the car was obviously adapted for a wheelchair user, didn't stop the moron running off though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    So, let me get this right, if you caused accidental damage to someone else's vehicle you wouldn't offer to pay compensation but at the same time you are angry that the identical thing happened to you but the driver didn't stick around?

Honestly the double standards on here never fail to amuse me!

Pretty much. Someone knackered my car and failed to own up, so why should I make it known if I damage anothers car?
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a difference between that situation, and a trolley smacking into the side of the car now isn't there?

Not really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    Pretty much. Someone knackered my car and failed to own up, so why should I make it known if I damage anothers car?

Someone went into the back of my car just last week whilst it was parked, and didn't bother owning up, would I do the same? Not a chance!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

pay it forward is meant to be for good deeds.
    if you damaged someones car the chance of it being the person who did it to you is tiny.
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell, so many people on this forum take me to the fair!!!:eek::eek:

So this taxi driver is sitting minding his own business in his car, in a car park. Some young woman bangs her trolley into him. But according to a load of people on here HE is the bad guy? There probably wasnt a dent, he is chancing his arm etc etc?

Perhaps the OP could clarify what "threats" this taxi driver made? Were they in relation to her personal safety - if so then he is waaaay in the wrong. But from what I read the OP has admitted that daughter banged into car - why is everyone denigrating the person who was the injured party rather than the person who did the damage?

If I was the OP I would be telling my daughter that she was bloody stupid for banging into someones car and that £50 quid probably wouldnt get a dent out of it.

Whether the driver actually uses the £50 to get the dent mended is neither here nor there, damage was caused to his car, from the OP, by her daughter. Where is the moral obligation by either the OP or daughter here? I despair that the attitude is "okay prove it!" - maybe you could never "prove" it in a court of law - but surely OP should be teaching her daughter morals?

Right. Yes I know, Im old fashioned - but the OP has more or less said the daughter did this, so rather than babying her daughter she should be teaching her a bit of moral backbone.
    Forum Member

Because you know how it feels to have it happen to you?

Or maybe, again I am terribly old fashioned, but because its the moral thing to do?
    Forum Member

Yes but the OP said that her daughter banged the trolley into the car? My gut feeling is that a Taxi Driver would earn much more than £50 quid by actually TAXING people around for a couple or hours, rather than sitting in a car park (for how long??) hoping some bint would bang her trolley into him?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frillynix wrote: »
    I despair that the attitude is "okay prove it!" - maybe you could never "prove" it in a court of law - but surely OP should be teaching her daughter morals?

Yes, but it is a bit late now as the daughter is apparently 18 and the mother doesn't seem to know right from wrong.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed! Not only does the cab have to be in mint for its overhaul, but also if it's spotted by one of the handful of PCO inspectors, then they can get it pulled off the road until the damage is made good. They can even do it if the cab is too dirty!

£50 is indeed cheap to get a repair done, although if its just a dink then it might be possible to get it retouched for that price.

So how come there are so many cabs driving around in poor condition, then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she messing about with the trolley and hit the car, is that why the cab driver was more angrier ?

No job, No money....but was able to go to a toy store and get a trolley of goods :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    So how come there are so many cabs driving around in poor condition, then?

They shouldn't be! It does vary slightly from authority to authority but for London:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/taxi-inspection-manual.pdf
    Each Hackney Carriage in London has to pass that inspection yearly, in place of an MOT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe, again I am terribly old fashioned, but because its the moral thing to do?

Well the person who knocked my wingmirror off didn't feel it was the moral thing to do to stop.

Nor the person who dinted the passenger door.

I could go on. Face it, the majority of us have become a nation of "look out for number one".
    Forum Member
    Yes, but it is a bit late now as the daughter is apparently 18 and the mother doesn't seem to know right from wrong.

Thank you. I thought it was just me. Ive four grown up kids and if one of them whined to me that they had damaged a car but they were a student and skint and the nasty driver was horrid to them - I would give them a swift boot up the jaxi and tell them to grow up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I thought it was just me. Ive four grown up kids and if one of them whined to me that they had damaged a car but they were a student and skint and the nasty driver was horrid to them - I would give them a swift boot up the jaxi and tell them to grow up!

If one of my kids gave £50 to a stranger in a car park on accusation that they'd caused damage to his taxi, I'd give them a kick up the arse.
    Forum Member
    Well the person who knocked my wingmirror off didn't feel it was the moral thing to do to stop.

Nor the person who dinted the passenger door.

I could go on. Face it, the majority of us have become a nation of "look out for number one".

Your logic really saddens me. While it might be true, it proves that I am really old fashioed because for me money isint everything. Sometimes trying to do your best and do the right thing is more important. That doesnt mean that I am a doogooder, a bore or a tree hugging hippy by the way, just that I feel better about myself if I havent deliberately screwed someone over.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but the OP said that her daughter banged the trolley into the car? My gut feeling is that a Taxi Driver would earn much more than £50 quid by actually TAXING people around for a couple or hours, rather than sitting in a car park (for how long??) hoping some bint would bang her trolley into him?

Sorry - doesnt ring true, and if it doesnt sound right its usually not, IMO

I think the issue here isn't that the Taxi Driver was in the wrong (the girl damaged his vehicle and she should have to pay), but in the way he dealt with it. It would have made much more sense to exchange contact details and arrange to sort out payment once the damage had been assessed at a garage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your logic really saddens me. While it might be true, it proves that I am really old fashioed because for me money isint everything. Sometimes trying to do your best and do the right thing is more important. That doesnt mean that I am a doogooder, a bore or a tree hugging hippy by the way, just that I feel better about myself if I havent deliberately screwed someone over.

I'm sorry that it does. It is all about the money, only when it comes to my car though, as I have spent so much money fixing my own through fault of others (avoiding going through insurance as it's already sky high) and I know that it's backwards and surely I must feel obligated to admit fault if I caused damage as like you said, I know how it feels but I just don't know whether or not I would. I have never hit someones car or done damage to it in other ways so I can only assume that I wouldn't want to do the right thing and admit fault. But who knows, I may want to. It's nice that there are people like you still knocking around but the majority of us aren't like that.