The DS Eurovision Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    Erm no I dot you can guess actually! Close though. ;) I'm saying no more...
    That should have read "don't think" rather than "dot". I really don't know what happened there!

In other news there are reports of yet another change to the Melfest voting which would see the 50/50 system introduced to the semi-finals. Also they're suggesting that the regional juries in the final have been axed in favour of just the international juries.

http://www.oikotimes.com/v2/index.php?file=articles&id=9432

I think the organisers are in a really unfortunate situation whereby the winning song is always high quality, just not suitable for Eurovision for whatever reason, and now they're desperately looking for a way of getting a song that is not necessarily the best, but the most Eurovision-friendly. It's just very awkward!

Is introducing juries in the semi-final actually going to make any difference to who goes through to the final? Considering half the acts of each semi progress on to a further round, and generally I only really like about half the songs in each semi (don't know about everyone else!), is there any point? IMO the Swedish public usually get it right during the semis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    That should have read "don't think" rather than "dot". I really don't know what happened there!

In other news there are reports of yet another change to the Melfest voting which would see the 50/50 system introduced to the semi-finals. Also they're suggesting that the regional juries in the final have been axed in favour of just the international juries.

I think the organisers are in a really unfortunate situation whereby the winning song is always high quality, just not suitable for Eurovision for whatever reason, and now they're desperately looking for a way of getting a song that is not necessarily the best, but the most Eurovision-friendly. It's just very awkward!

Is introducing juries in the semi-final actually going to make any difference to who goes through to the final? Considering half the acts of each semi progress on to a further round, and generally I only really like about half the songs in each semi (don't know about everyone else!), is there any point? IMO the Swedish public usually get it right during the semis.

Completely agree with you. The Swede's usually end up putting the best songs through to the final because in the each of the semi's there are literally only 2 or 3 songs that would be suitable to qualify for the final. I rather think that the decision to have juries in the semi's is just being done for the sake of it rather than for a solid reason.

Remember the days when MF was a much simpler affair? (I still love it though :p)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Melfest rules and regulations get more complicated every year. :rolleyes::p

I think I'd prefer if the winning song of Melfest wasn't necessarily the one that went to Eurovision. A "special jury" could decide which one would, while normal voting would pick the winner of Melfest - which in itself is a bigger deal in Sweden. Or is that totally ridiculous? :o

Also, I think the Swedish public get it wrong as often as they get it right. Although I would pick a 10 schlager song final - whereas they never do, so maybe we just have different tastes. Caroline af Ugglas for example :rolleyes:
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we all set for contests in the next few weeks as I had an idea for one if we were struggling. Best entry by a host nation?

For example imaani as she took part in Birmingham or Anna Vissi who reprsented Geeece in Greece if you get me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we all set for contests in the next few weeks as I had an idea for one if we were struggling. Best entry by a host nation?

For example imaani as she took part in Birmingham or Anna Vissi who reprsented Geeece in Greece if you get me
    Oooh nice idea. There's been loads of good ones recently.

I've just noticed that on ESC Kaz it says that in Germany the first semi-final of Eurovision will be shown on ProSieben which is that private channel that co-produces/shows the NF with the main German public broadcaster (the 2nd semi and of course the final will be on that public broadcaster). Surely this means that Germany will definitely be voting in the second semi as I can't imagine the EBU would be happy with a none member taking the semi with the local voting in it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    OK, something's possessed me to watch this year's semifinals again, as you do at 5am. But I've been so detatched from Eurovision since moving to Uni I forgot how amazing this little piece of banter was:

"What are you doing, man?"
    "Mmmmm, I'm looking at her photos. What should I do with them?"
    "Dump them into the fire."
    "Oh yes! Yes! I gonnie burn 'em now!"
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9ct mould wrote: »
    OK, something's possessed me to watch this year's semifinals again, as you do at 5am. But I've been so detatched from Eurovision since moving to Uni I forgot how amazing this little piece of banter was:

"What are you doing, man?"
    "Mmmmm, I'm looking at her photos. What should I do with them?"
    "Dump them into the fire."
    "Oh yes! Yes! I gonnie burn 'em now!"

You mean that that little nugget was "Lost and Forgotten" to you? :p

I will still say that that was one of the best performances of semi 1 and didn't deserve all the booing it got (although I would have liked Finland to have gone through)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's certainly one to think of - and I know EXACTLY what I'd pick :D

I had a Christmas Cracker of a contest for the week runnin up to Christmas, but will save it for next year ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Votes sent :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    You mean that that little nugget was "Lost and Forgotten" to you? :p

I will still say that that was one of the best performances of semi 1 and didn't deserve all the booing it got (although I would have liked Finland to have gone through)

Agreed, I was livid just watching it again earlier! Livid, and doing a wee folksy dance to it!:p
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, I like this :)
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm no I dot you can guess actually! Close though. ;) I'm saying no more...

Oh, so I'm near the bottom then...quel surprise:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, so I'm near the bottom then...quel surprise:rolleyes:
    Oh no, I meant close as in the year! It doesn't matter now anyway, there are no zero pointers!

There's one song that is doing surprisingly badly actually.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I meant close as in the year! It doesn't matter now anyway, there are no zero pointers!

There's one song that is doing surprisingly badly actually.

I thought my song would do quite well so im worried it's me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought my song would do quite well so im worried it's me
    ...well you'll have to find out tomorrow if it's you then, won't you?! ;):D

Votes in so far from... actually I'll do it by nation!

Cyprus
    Israel
    Norway
    Russia
    Belarus
    Ireland
    Albania
    Latvia
    San Marino

If you don't see your nation there then kick up a big fuss!
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The footage of those early contests is fascinating (well I think so). Yet again the BBC were ahead of the game. In 1960 each performer had a unigue backdrop hence Norway's Nora plywood mountain scape emphasising the Lapp girl singing to her lover at the foot of the mountain. The Dutch song is called "What Luck" and the singer gets to stand in front of a horseshoe. Brilliant.

Move "forward" 5 years to Naples with its dull presentation and a stage as narrow as window ledge so Butch Moore's dramatic ending is lost as he walks into the backdrop. Whilst Italy's return next year is welcome, maybe its best if they don't win it. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Strictly just sorta ripped-off the opening act from this years Melodifestivalen final. There was 'Eye of The Tiger', dancers doing punching movements, contestants wearing the red 'santa' gowns and Len Goodman speaking into a microphone from the ceiling (a la Dolph Lundgren). :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Strictly just sorta ripped-off the opening act from this years Melodifestivalen final. There was 'Eye of The Tiger', dancers doing punching movements, contestants wearing the red 'santa' gowns and Len Goodman speaking into a microphone from the ceiling (a la Dolph Lundgren). :eek::D

That was my immediate thought as well - how sad are we?! :o

But if the BBC are watching Melfest to get some ideas.......
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But if the BBC are watching Melfest to get some ideas.......

...they are probably thinking what a waste of money, we'll never do that as we can't flog the format worldwide plus Eurovision is cheap telly so can't justify spending Nigel Lythgoe's funding....

Pessimists are never disappointed by life's sh*t sandwich when it comes with extra filling.
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tough one this week, but I've sorted and voted for the debut entries. Just awaiting confirmation from the Pollmaster that my votes have got through.

I've been listening to a heap of songs that are supposedly being considered for the Polish preselection. Some good stuff, as ever, and also some right horrors.If they are really the songs being considered, I've a feeling it'll be the horrors the Polish team will put forward.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where the chuffin' hell is Nathan? I know he has about 6ft of snow, but you would expect more dedication *tuts*

Hope all the snowbound FM's are ok....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tough one this week, but I've sorted and voted for the debut entries. Just awaiting confirmation from the Pollmaster that my votes have got through.

I've been listening to a heap of songs that are supposedly being considered for the Polish preselection. Some good stuff, as ever, and also some right horrors.If they are really the songs being considered, I've a feeling it'll be the horrors the Polish team will put forward.:rolleyes:

Poland really only send one or the other don't they? Mind you - I've loved some of their "horror" entries - Legenda is the most played 2010 ESC song on my iTunes :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poland really only send one or the other don't they? Mind you - I've loved some of their "horror" entries - Legenda is the most played 2010 ESC song on my iTunes :o

I love a Polish entry. Up until 2008 anyway - it's been tits up ever since! Legenda is my 2nd least played 2010 song on iTunes. Although my most played is um, "Drip Drop" , so who am I to say anything anyway? :o
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite Polish entry would be 'Follow My Heart', it's so tacky it's good even though what that dude with the green hair is doing in Ich Troje I don't know because his singing voice is bloody horrible!

'Time to Party' is also another good one because of the way it's trying to be cool when it's actually very cringeworthy on a vast amount of levels plus it probably refers to a different kind of party than one I went to last night. :o

'Legenda' was dog vomit, why oh why didn't Poland send Anna Cyzon!?
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite from the Romanian preselection performed live (finally).......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YTsrE_kAdI&feature=player_embedded

Two weeks singing lessons might be a good idea before the big night. *sigh*

I love how the show's hosts just seem to hang around randomly in the background.
This discussion has been closed.