What can be done about noisy kids upstairs?

chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So theres a guy upstairs who has his kids over and all they do constantly is bang a footabll around and i all you hear all evening and day is bang crash wallop.Its been reported to the housing association but they dont care and wont do anything,and weve spoken to him about keeping the noise down but its still going on.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A big bottle of gin works wonders.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, bribes might do it.
  • DavidMarqDavidMarq Posts: 331
    Forum Member

If the children are under 5 years old then the Gin will need to be prescribed by a doctor. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    A baseball bat could work! Maybe with a rusty nail in for good measure.
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly basically nothing lol I had to call the council about next door as they play music all day and all night !
    They also have very loud kids who scream which results in the mum screaming swearing in reply! When the council person was over while talking I joked about the kids next door and he mentioned loads of people call up to complain about kids basically out of control and loud but as they are kids nothing can be done.
    I know people say kids are just being kids which is fair enough but at times they do need to be kept in control
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly basically nothing lol I had to call the council about next door as they play music all day and all night !
    They also have very loud kids who scream which results in the mum screaming swearing in reply! When the council person was over while talking I joked about the kids next door and he mentioned loads of people call up to complain about kids basically out of control and loud but as they are kids nothing can be done.
    I know people say kids are just being kids which is fair enough but at times they do need to be kept in control

Its so stupid in this case,i dont know why he has to let his kids play with a ball in the flat,hes perfectly abl to take them to a park,or he could let them play games,watch dvds etc.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to wonder this too when we had 4 under 5's upstairs from us bashing around the place, when they moved I realised just how lucky I had been as the two teens up there now with their blaring music at all hours and swearing and smoking etc are soooooooo much worse.... :(
  • XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing. Sadly it's in the childhood rules that kids are allowed to play freely, as much as you dislike it.
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its so stupid in this case,i dont know why he has to let his kids play with a ball in the flat,hes perfectly abl to take them to a park,or he could let them play games,watch dvds etc.

Parents are lazy , the ones next door let the kids do what they like the little girl knocks doors to speak to people as she is alone at times when her mates go home ! She is quite young and after what happened last week you would think parents would watch the kids more !
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    I suppose I would be inclined to have the TV/radio/music on extra loud (if it doesn't disturb the people next door to you, adjoining that room). If they came down to complain I would say I needed it at that volume to be heard above the children's voices/activities!
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children must play
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    Children must play

Football indoors?
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep going round and explaining the problem in a reasonable way. Being friendly and reasonable will get better results than falling out with him. Unfortunately, small children are noisy, but they do grow up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    its difficult as kids DO like to play. My son can play in his room and it sounds like he's going to come through the celing. it doens't sound as bad upstairs, but down stairs I often liken it to a herd of elephants. Does this mean I'm a bad, lazy parent too? He goes to school where he does pe and playtime etc, then childminders where they go to the park every night, then I collect him (and his sister) and we take the dog for a walk. But of course he still plays - they just do.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buy them one of those big sponge footballs, they might get the message.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All kids make a noise - its part of growing up and you can be assured, OP, that you did the same when young. Go to Boots travel section and buy a set of ear plugs. Or if you can't hear the TV, get a set of headphones.

P.S. Adults make a lot of noise too sometimes - especially when they're drunk!
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the sponge ball idea.. its a very good comprimise
    Might even make a couple new friends out of it.. as the parents surely can't be any happier about the noise situation than you are
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although be prepared that there may be questions about why you are buying gifts for children you don't know.

My nan used to have very noisy kids living next door but she found the perfect solution, she went deaf. :p
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Although be prepared that there may be questions about why you are buying gifts for children you don't know.

Hmm, maybe give it to the Dad first:)
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet they're not playing football, children crash and bang a lot just moving around, well my two do anyway...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I live upstairs and I get hell from my downstairs neighbours. Now I have 2 young boys, and I don't let them run around wild - they're kids who forget people can hear them, in no matter what they do. Last month they were only playing in the bath and the idiot was banging the ceiling. They have a son too but they seem to think he makes no noise - running around on a laminate floor! I can hear it alright but I don't complain as I expect kids to have energy. I'm not that petty minded, kids are kids :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I live in a detached house. My kids can make as much noise as they like and we don't disturb anyone (except my wife's lie in's on a Saturday/Sunday morning).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    All kids make a noise - its part of growing up and you can be assured, OP, that you did the same when young. Go to Boots travel section and buy a set of ear plugs. Or if you can't hear the TV, get a set of headphones.

P.S. Adults make a lot of noise too sometimes - especially when they're drunk!

I never was allowed to bring a ball in the house let alone bounce it all day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    I bet they're not playing football, children crash and bang a lot just moving around, well my two do anyway...

They are,ive seen them with a ball,and you can tell when its beeing bounced around
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    I like the sponge ball idea.. its a very good comprimise
    Might even make a couple new friends out of it.. as the parents surely can't be any happier about the noise situation than you are

It is a good idea. I'd say try and get to know the parent(s) first.
    Most people are reasonable about this sort of thing if you put it to them in a diplomatic way.

My next door neighbours had to ask my parents if I could use headphones when I was playing my keyboard when I was growing up. I went through a phase of practising a lot and it turned out their bedroom was the other side of the wall to our spare room where the keyboard was kept. We didn't know this!

For the record I was a rather good pianist! :p