Nice low calorie drinks

duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
Forum Member
✭✭
Looking for some suggestions for nice low calorie drinks. New anti histamines have left me with a dry mouth so drinking quite a lot. Have been enjoying soda water and lime but it makes me burp something awful. Not keen on diet coke etc so any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to disapoint you, but in my own personal view there is no such thing as a "nice" low calorie drink as they all contain sweeteners which will leave a nasty taste in your mouth. The only safe one is plain water.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like iced tea with a squeeze of lemon.

This looks like a good recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4618/citrus-iced-tea I'm sure it doesn't need the sugar.

and from Twinings http://twinings.co.uk/about-twinings/tea-recipes/how-to-make-iced-tea-earl-grey-tea

and Whittards http://www.whittard.co.uk/customer/guides/icedtea
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Volvic Strawberry mineral water. I see they also do other flavours.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes drink various herbal teas, but they don't really have enough flavour for me. My main drink now is Robinsons Apple & Blackcurrent. It has aspartame and saccharin but that doesn't bother me. I think the taste is OK, and I don't believe the scare stories.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    water with elderflower caudial
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Mugicha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roasted_barley_tea

I can drink diet soft drinks with sucralose or sucralose/acesulfamine-k sweeteners in them, but only after I spent months getting used to them. Now they taste fine.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, most diet versions of drinks are foul, except.......SUGAR FREE IRN-BRU!!!
    Yes, you have to like Irn-Bru in the first place, but if you do, the sugar free version is at least as nice as the original.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, most diet versions of drinks are foul, except.......SUGAR FREE IRN-BRU!!!
    Yes, you have to like Irn-Bru in the first place, but if you do, the sugar free version is at least as nice as the original.

I really find this hard to believe. Diet/sugar free drinks to me ALL taste rank.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personaaly I find it t he other way round, I detest sugar loaded drinks, but if you have a sugar addiction...............;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really find this hard to believe. Diet/sugar free drinks to me ALL taste rank.:o

Yes, you've already said that, but you're just one opinion, which clearly not many people agree with as the diet soft drink industry is big bucks. So people obviously find the taste perfectly palatable.

I avoid fizzy flavoured drinks for the most part OP, I prefer sparkling water with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime.
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,406
    Forum Member
    one of my favourites is a cold San Pellegrino with a lice of lemon and a slice of lime. Similar to your soda water but I find San P is less gassy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of my favourites is a cold San Pellegrino with a lice of lemon and a slice of lime. Similar to your soda water but I find San P is less gassy.

Gotta agree with you there but it is not low calorie!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Gotta agree with you there but it is not low calorie!

How is mineral water with a slice of lemon not low calorie?
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Maybe, but as a diabetic I can't drink full sugar fizzy pop
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I absolutely love Tesco's own make diet lemonade. It's more a fizzy lemon drink though than traditional lemonade. Only a few calories per can and tastes really lemony. Lovely ice cold. 99p for 4 cans or 8 for £1.50 at present. I get through 16 a week easily. If you like lemon you'll love it.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Water! Ice cold water in a frosted glass with slices of lemon, or some frozen raspberries.

Or peppermint tea.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to find an alternative to Coca Cola.

Water alone is bland. Squash is OK but artificial tasting.

I did have a phase of liking Pink Grapefruit squash but then they changed the formula and it didn't taste right.

I'd really like something with a bit of bite to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did have a phase of liking Pink Grapefruit squash but then they changed the formula and it didn't taste right.

So admit it..Your addicted to sugar..:eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    So admit it..Your addicted to sugar..:eek::eek:

Definitely, but I don't think it is that alone.

I honestly believe if they could make a cola drink that tasted exactly and felt like full coca cola, but was just like water, that I would drink it instead.

It is the taste and texture I like, rather than the sugar, but it is obviously the sugar that gives it the taste and texture..
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Try Rock's orange squash. It's delicious, very orangey and not at all artificial. I love it with ice-cold fizzy water. It's not low sugar, I don't think, but it's so intense you only need a small amount. Plus it's organic, no artificial anythings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Try Rock's orange squash. It's delicious, very orangey and not at all artificial. I love it with ice-cold fizzy water. It's not low sugar, I don't think, but it's so intense you only need a small amount. Plus it's organic, no artificial anythings.

Unfortunately they don't seem to sell it near me, but I'll look out for it.
  • LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I'm quite enjoying Badoit a sparkling mineral water, it's not too gassy/fizzy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    A glass of water but with a couple of slices of cucumber in it - simple but it transforms it into the most refreshing summer drink.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IRN-BRU Sugar Free
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sixtynine wrote: »
    At the moment I'm quite enjoying Badoit a sparkling mineral water, it's not too gassy/fizzy.

Awww, my granny used to like Badoit. It always makes me think of her.