Options

Ironing a king sized duvet cover - how to?

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    My OH does it. I refuse. It takes him ages and I stay out of the way when he does it. Life is indeed too short to iron bed covers. We buy v.expensive high thread count bed linen, and it does look better ironed. But if he didn't do it, it would go on unironed. Lazy mare me.

Life's too short for ironing anything full stop. If I'm in bed with a woman, whether her duvet is ironed or not is not exactly a top priority. Other things to see rather than making a duvet appraisal.

I mean, you might as well talk about chess or stamp collecting when getting down to a bit of sexy time.
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is not here to entertain you. Shove your cuppa up your...

Why be rude!!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very little in our house gets ironed.
    Maybe a few dresses for my wife & shirts for me.
    We live most of the year in t shirts & shorts.

The only things I iron are work shirts - so that's 5 items a week.

It's still the domestic task I hate doing the most. Rather than doing all of the shirts at the same time after they have dried - which would be quicker - I usually end up having to pull one out of the laundry basket each morning and doing it just before leaving for work. I'd pay for an ironing service if I wasn't so tight.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone told me that they wash their actual duvet - is that possible?

like the OP I have a king size bed but have never washed the duvet itself as I cant see how it would fit in any washing machine - unless it can be dry cleaned maybe?
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »

like the OP I have a king size bed but have never washed the duvet itself as I cant see how it would fit in any washing machine - unless it can be dry cleaned maybe?

I take my duvet to the laundrette and wash it and dry it there. Costs about £2.

As for ironing - I don't iron anything ever, my tumble dryer is my best friend. If I need something ironed, I spritz it with febreeze and sling it in the tumble dryer for about 3 minutes. Get it out whilst it's still warm and hang it on a hanger til I need to put it on. Same with bedding, as long as it comes out warm it's as crease free as if I'd spent an hour ironing it
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't iron the cover but I do get the duvets to local launderette every now and then.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Katenutzs wrote: »
    Why be rude!!

Why indeed. It's not the first time it's happened and no doubt won't be the last. I've had a post removed by said OP because at best it was defamatory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    KennedyC wrote: »
    I fold it in half lengthwise and then iron one side. The folded edge is usually a few inches over the end of the ironing board. I move it over the board ironing as I go. When I get to the end I turn it round and over so that the fold is now on the board and I am ironing the other side.

Its never perfect but then the ironing police don't seem to come round these days so I have never been fined.

This is the way I do mine too, it is a pain and I sometimes do one side then come back later for the other side if I get bored doing it.

I no longer have a tumble dryer so for me personally I feel it needs to be ironed I love that crisp finish on a clean cover even if its an effort to do. I've tried not doing it and putting straight on but I always regret not doing it. Everyone is different.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Haha no wonder you didn't understand that bit about the pillows. It wasn't very clear. Ok, you have the duvet on the bed and its all neatly tucked in. Place the pillows at the bottom of your bed where your feet go. Hold them both securely and drag them up the bed into their proper position without lifting them at all. Do both sides the same. This straightens out any rumpled bits in your duvet.
    It drives me nuts when I watch Homes for Sale or whatever the programmes are called and the bed looks as if someone has just chucked the duvet on. Why do they never neaten them up a bit?
    Ah ok that makes more sense. I'll try that.

This is definitely a laundrette job.
    This is the way I do mine too, it is a pain and I sometimes do one side then come back later for the other side if I get bored doing it.

I no longer have a tumble dryer so for me personally I feel it needs to be ironed I love that crisp finish on a clean cover even if its an effort to do. I've tried not doing it and putting straight on but I always regret not doing it. Everyone is different.
    Tell me about it. I've had to put an un ironed duvet cover and pillow cases on the bed while I wait for my stuff at the laundrette, and it looks horrible! Well, horrible to me anyway. My friend said he thinks it looks fine. But I can just see and feel a massive difference between ironed and un ironed bedding.

Like you say, everyone's different.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . My friend said he thinks it looks fine. But I can just see and feel a massive difference between ironed and un ironed bedding.
    In fairness I'd say the same if someone asked me what I thought about their unironed duvet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok so the solution to 'how does one iron a king sized duvet cover?' for those that want to, really is to get it done at the laundrette.

I got service wash and ironing for two king sized covers, six pillow cases and two fitted sheets for £18. A bargain on saving my time, electric, sweat and effort.

Thank you!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point of ironing something that will stay uncreased for about five minutes? Just put it in the airing cupboard neatly folded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    What's the point of ironing something that will stay uncreased for about five minutes? Just put it in the airing cupboard neatly folded.
    It stays smooth for a long time…the whole time it's on the bed actually. And I don't have an airing cupboard. If I'm sending it in to get washed and dried anyway, I'd rather pay an extra £8 to get it all ironed.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    It stays smooth for a long time…the whole time it's on the bed actually. And I don't have an airing cupboard. If I'm sending it in to get washed and dried anyway, I'd rather pay an extra £8 to get it all ironed.

I still think ironing bed linen is unnecessary, but £8 for two sets is not bad actually.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life is far too short for ironing. Careful drying and folding and jobs a goodun.

I agree!

I hardly iron anything these days, although I sometimes run an iron over jeans as it seems to soften the fabric a bit.

Line drying on a breezy day means my duvet covers are crease-free, even though they're all cotton, and any fold marks seem to drop out after the first night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C'mon give me a break! I know life's short, trust me I take full advantage of it but...I want my bed to look immaculate.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather pay an extra £8 to get it all ironed.
    JulesF wrote: »
    I still think ironing bed linen is unnecessary, but £8 for two sets is not bad actually.
    :o What!!! You have to be joking... surely? Just chuck a throw over it. Eight quid! For what?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    :o What!!! You have to be joking... surely? Just chuck a throw over it. Eight quid! For what?

No, I'm not joking. I don't bother ironing our bed linen, but so what if others like it that way and are willing to spend time or money on it? Our cleaner does most of our ironing, and we pay her £12 an hour, so no, I don't think paying £8 to have two sets of sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers ironed for you is an outrageous thing to do.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Do people iron duvet covers ? Next you'll be telling me that I should be ironing socks and underwear :(

Apparantly you should iron your knickers, as it kills off any bacteria :eek:
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Apparantly you should iron your knickers, as it kills off any bacteria :eek:

Have you tried putting them in the washing-machine first? :)

Anyway, for the incorrigible duvet pressers, we have an extra-wide ironing board which is rectangular and about 20 inches across. I think I bought it a decade or so ago in Macy's, New York, when I worked in the US. I would have thought that such an item would be available in the UK these days.
    '
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C'mon give me a break! I know life's short, trust me I take full advantage of it but...I want my bed to look immaculate.
    Is it on a public right of way?
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I don't do ironing unless it's absolutely necessary, because mostly, when the washing has been hung up on the line, the creases just fall out. The one thing I do iron though before putting them back on the bed is pillowcases, because I can't sleep on anything other than cotton and that does crease.
  • Options
    looney lauralooney laura Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Victoria Sponge you are not on your own I iron everything including socks and undies, and sometimes the dusters
    PS Curtains are the worse especially when lined.

CosmicButtPlug wish we could get extra wide ironing boards here make life so much easier of those of us who iron.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it on a public right of way?

My bed is in a very private bedroom in my house . I iron the duvet cover and pillow cases for me , not for public viewing !! I love a clean , crisp freshly ironed bed
  • Options
    kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why bother ironing duvet covers its not like your home is a show house and has to look its best for visitors to be honest i never heard of anyone ironing them.