Options

Best of the NF Rejects 2015

Comments

• Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Votes sent; I did end up having 11-12 I wanted to give points to, so ignore what I said earlier ;)

And also despite what I said earlier, I did even end up giving points to a Danish song :blush::D
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no idea where to start, so decided I would put them into 4 groups of 10/11 and put my favourite 5 through in each. I've now got it down to 20 but it's proving difficult. So many songs are quite similar! I have 4 or 5 favourites but the others are just kind of... Eh. No idea how I'm gonna choose 5 out of the other 15... :D
  • Options
    stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Votes all done. Quite surprised at who ended up being my 12-pointer. :)
  • Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And so for the rest

23. Kruuv - Tiiu talu tütreke [Estonia]
    Still not sure what to make of this one.

24. Elize Ryd & Richard Söderberg - One By One [Sweden]
    Marta & Václav from another dimension...

25. Fahrenhaidt - Frozen Silence [Germany]
    Nice enough song, shame about the vocals.

26. Timebelle - Singing About Love [Switzerland]
    Enjoyable, if mildly irritating.

27. Daniel Levi - Burning Lights [Estonia]
    You can't fault the energy in this.

28. Alexandra Joner - Cinderella [Norway]
    I really would not have expected a song like this to make use of an orchestra, but it really adds to what is already one of the better pop songs on offer.

29. Satin Circus - Crossroads [Finland]
    That blond guy is punchable enough to be a member of Anti Social Media.

30. Jon Henrik Fjällgren - Jag är fri (Manne leam frijje) [Sweden]
    I do like a good joik.

31. Anne Gadegaard - Suitcase [Denmark]
    The other of the two entries I could have tolerated winning DMGP.

32. Cadem - Fly [Iceland]
    They're not quite Alcazar, are they?

33. Mariette - Don't Stop Believing [Sweden]
    Lacklustre lyrics aside, the mood this creates is phenomenal.

34. Triin Niitoja & John4 - This Is Our Choice [Estonia]
    I didn't realise Rollo from Vikings could play guitar.

35. Magnus Carlsson - Möt mig i Gamla Stan [Sweden]
    I'd rather not.

36. Elektrofolk - Sundance [Latvia]
    This is exactly the type of entry we sorely lack from the contest nowadays.

37. Karin Park - Human Beings [Norway]
    I obviously didn't appreciate MGP enough at the time, these songs are a lot better than I remembered.

38. Raquel - Stop Haunting Me [Malta]
    There's a lot missing in this.

39. Hasse Andersson - Guld Och Gröna Skogar [Sweden]
    Blatantly copying the Netherlands last year...

40. Simone de Oliveira - À espera das canções [Portugal]
    She still has it.

41. Kevin Charm feat. Lion Tree - Wonderful [Switzerland]
    I'm generally not a fan of this type of music, and this hasn't changed that.
  • Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Kati Wolf - I really thought this could be top 10 in Vienna when I first heard it, in a Amanecer but better sort of way. The live version was a bit flat with a few dodgy vocals thrown in unfortunately, but I still really like it.
    Midnight Boy - Lol, Midnight Boy, he's only about 30 years too late! It was quite good tbf, was a bit disappointing it didn't even make AC.
    Sunday - Ah the Margaret Berger wannabe, get your own act! It was ok.
    Shava - Boo to whoever stole this from me! Amazing, Vienna really needed a song like this to bring the fun.
    Kali Briis Band - Is it just me that thinks that Eesti Laul is the most overrated NF out there? I mean apart from Goodbye to Yesterday and Daniel Levi at a push, the rest was all a bit beige, Supernova in Latvia was so much better. Bring back Winny Puhh!
    Kristin Amparo - Couldn't really get into this one.
    Laing - Second only to Shava in amazingness. Damn German public and their determination to take things seriously.
    Christabelle - I couldn't really remember this one tbh, the right song won in Malta, although this is fairly decent. Good to see Crosscraft getting a mention in the video.
    Isa - I liked this, good upbeat pop number.
    Fridrik Dor - Wasn't bad but thankfully didn't beat Maria, wouldn't have been happy if that had happened.
    World of Girls - There's always one with pink hair, isn't there? Actually I'd forgotten this existed, admittedly high brow it isn't, but was definitely better than what Denmark ended up sending.
    Molly Pettersson Hammar - Aw, Molly. Definitely deserved to get through, it starts brilliantly, unfortunately it paid for being the perfect choice to open Melfest.
    Opera Skaala - No, just no. Difficult to describe how much I despised this. Opera vocals for the sake of it, rather than any sort of actual song going on.
    Dolly Style - Not as big a fan of this as some, although the catchiness of it did start to get to me in the end. Thankfully the voters said goodbye Molly, goodbye Holly, goodbye Polly, see ya, bye.
    Passed - This one never really made much impression on me.
    Cecilie Alexandra - This was my favourite in Denmark, don't know how it would have done in Vienna but it is quite catchy.
    Erika Selin - Loved this, Ireland should have picked this, so what if they don't know who the Irish prime minister is.
    MNTHA - I can't explain why I like this, usually this sort of song makes no impact on me at all, but I do kind of like it.
    Erlend Bratland - With hindsight I wonder whether I should have sent this, it was really good and I would have wanted it to win most NFs, but Norway was just so strong.
    Andreas Kummert - Now this really grew on me after the final, I know it's not that popular among people on here but I love it now, possibly the best vocals of any song during NF season, I wish he hadn't backed out of Vienna, he would have done a lot better than Ann Sophie at Eurovision.
    Elin Sif - The video for this seems to have been deleted from the playlist? It's a nice enough song.
    Julie Bjerre - Quite liked this one too.
    Kruuv - Haha, I'm not sure I saw this one actually in Estonia, it's no Can Bonomo but it's quite fun.
    Elize Ryd & Rickard Soderberg - This should have got through, really liked it, looked like it would have been top 2 without the app issue.
    Fahrenhaidt - Wasn't really one of my favourites in Germany.
    Timebelle - Sax solo and bizarre 'touching your lovely face' lyrics aside, the right song won in Switzerland.
    Daniel Levi - This was quite good and lively, the crowd surfing was a nice touch too.
    Alexandra Joner - So catchy, thought this deserved a place in the superfinal instead of Tor & Bettan.
    Satin Circus - Fairly standard song for its genre, well up until the sax solo anyway.
    Jon Henrik - Another I think I possibly should have sent, has grown on me a lot.
    Anne Gadegaard - She never did need that suitcase. Nice song.
    Cadem - This was so out of place in a very ethereal Icelandic NF, but it's a guilty pleasure... Although a question, do they make all clothes in white in Iceland or are other colours available?
    Mariette - For whatever reason I tend to go ages without listening to this, but whenever I do listen to it it's great. This will do well.
    Triin Niitoja - It might be their choice but it wasn't Estonia's.
    Magnus Carlsson - This song just isn't the same without the sign language guy, he successfully lifted it above average.
    ElektroFolk - Gloriously mental.
    Karin Park - She didn't totally live up to the hype, although it was quite good.
    Raquel - Yep I can see why this didn't get very far.
    Hasse Andersson - Yay Hasse! I love that everyone hated this and eventually he won most people round. That kid looks like he really doesn't want to be on television dancing with his mum in the audience haha!
    Simone de Oliveira - Er, I'd better not say anything about this one or the age police will be round to have a quiet word...
    Kevin Charm - It's fairly good, surprising it didn't get further in the Swiss process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    39. Hasse Andersson - Guld Och Gröna Skogar [Sweden]
    Blatantly copying the Netherlands last year...
    :o

I agree with most of your reviews, but this one is even more far-fetched than the GTY comparison, and that's already far-fetched enough... And older man singing a traditional dance jiggle and a country-bluegrass duet, they have nothing in common :confused:
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »

I agree with most of your reviews, but this one is even more far-fetched than the GTY comparison, and that's already far-fetched enough... And older man singing a traditional dance jiggle and a country-bluegrass duet, they have nothing in common :confused:

The ellipsis would imply sarcasm :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ You think? It usually doesn't ;) In any case it's a strange comparison... (And no, the ellipsis doesn't imply sarcasm here :cool:)
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think it would be terribly appropriate to review the songs myself, but I'm loving reading all yours!

8 sets of votes have been received and we are in danger of having a runaway winner! Who thought that Simone de Oliveira would have struck such a chord with the forum??

Anyway, you've got until Sunday to get your votes in before I set the dogs on you

Anne
    x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And thanks to avb for the heads up about Elin Sif's video being removed - I've found a replacement and it's back on the playlist, sorry about that :)
  • Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »

It was supposed to be far-fetched. :D Fans always seem to find the most bizarre comparisons for the smallest of similarities.

That said, there doesn't seem to be a designated Euphoria rip off this year.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was supposed to be far-fetched. :D Fans always seem to find the most bizarre comparisons for the smallest of similarities.

That said, there doesn't seem to be a designated Euphoria rip off this year.

Oh come on, that's obviously France. I mean it's sung by a woman. Who has dark hair. I don't know how they haven't been taken to court yet. ;-)
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on, that's obviously France. I mean it's sung by a woman. Who has dark hair. I don't know how they haven't been taken to court yet. ;-)

Latvia surely?! I mean, she's even got African heritage!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizarre is the right word - isn't the idea of a comparison that there's at least something in common in the things being compared...? ;-)
    BBAnne wrote: »
    8 sets of votes have been received and we are in danger of having a runaway winner! Who thought that Simone de Oliveira would have struck such a chord with the forum??
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've voted on the contest also, and sent my points to our impartial voter nunaney :)

And we have only one song left that is yet to score!
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phills review

1. Hungary- Kati Wolf - Ne engedj el! As much as I love Kati A Dal for me was all about Boggie loved this though and was gutted she never made the superfinal
    2. Sweden - Midnight Boy - Don't Say No He clearly should have said no to copying Dead Or Alive
    3.Iceland - SUNDAY - Fjaðrir I didn't really like this in either language
    4. Finland - Shava - Ostarilla At least this has the fun factor, but it totally bizarre
    5. Estonia - Kali Briis Band - Idiot This is why I loved EL it had something for everyone
    6.Sweden - Kristin Amparo - I See You Beautifully sung and written
    7. Germany - Laing - Zeig Deine Muskeln Only in Germany
    8. Malta - Christabelle - Rush Fun and catchy wish we had the live version though where she had a better outfit on
    9. Sweden - Isa - Don't Stop The final of Melfest was really strong wasn't it?
    10. Iceland - Friðrik Dór - Once Again He's got a good voice, its just a bit to Buble for me.
    11. Denmark - World of Girls - Summer without you My favourite is the little black one even though she's the only one in heels she's still about 2ft smaller than the others and one step out of time with the dance, really like the song.
    12. Sweden - Molly Pettersson-Hammar - I'll Be Fine Still in shock, don't know what more she could have done, hope she will be back next year.
    13. Finland - Opera Skaala - Heart of Light such a great song and performance, she's terrifying though
    14. Sweden - Dolly Style - Hello Hi Remeber the first time I seen this I p'ed my self laughing, its amazing though
    15. Hungary - PASSED - Mesmerize Al;l these entries from Hungary and no one entered Iv :( not a huge fan of this
    16. Denmark - Cecilie Alexandra - Hotel A Not one of my favourites from DMGP
    17. Ireland - Erika Selin - Break Me Up I was all for Nikki until that notorious performance then I switched elegances and was gutted I blame Marty Whelan, Ryan Tubridy and the so called expert panel for savaging her chances denouncing it because it was by a Swede.
    18. Latvia - MNTHA - Nefelibata Hated this.
    19. Norway - Erlend Bratland - Thunderstruck Had this on my list. I was willing it to win in the super final, thought it was at one point. Its very anthemic specially with the orchestra.
    20. Germany - Andreas Kummert - Heart of Stone Haha loved all the drama when he pulled out at the end, its a great song though and probably would have been a top 5 for Germany
    21. Iceland - Elin Sif Halldordottir - I kvold This was alright.
    22. Denmark - Julie Bjerre: Tæt På Mine Drømme My 2nd favourite in DMGP
    23. Estonia - Kruuv - Tiiu talu tütreke this is just on the wrong side of crazy
    24. Sweden - Soderberg & Ryd - One by One Another shock exit, thought this would have made AC atleast
    25. Germany - Fahrenhaidt - Frozen Silence This is a really haunting song
    26. Switzerland - Timebelle - Singing About Love I would be more certain of this making the final over Time to Shine
    27. Estonia - Daniel Levi - Burning Lights This is OK
    28. Norway - Alexandra Joner - Cinderella Not for me.
    29. Finland - Satin Circus - Crossroads The true winners, had they have won I think it would be more of a 3 horse race
    30. Sweden - Jon Henrik Fjällgren - Jag är fri I'm not the hugest fan of the Jolk song but its allright
    31. Denmark - Anne Gadegaard - Suitcase The Jury did stink something rotten lumbering us with ASM :(
    32. Iceland - Cadem - Fly Nice the girls got to do a bit in the final as they couldn't sing on Icelandic, its a decent song.
    33. Sweden - Mariette - Don't Stop Believing Love this, another reason the Melfest final line up was so strong.
    34. Estonia - Triin Niitoja & John4 - This is Our Choice I agree this is better than the goodbye shag song
    35. Sweden - Magnus Carlsson - Mot mig i gamla stan Missed a trick not entering the signed video,I like this.
    36. Latvia - Elektrofolk - Sundance For a minute I thought this would win, no one could beat Aminata though for me in Supernova
    37. Norway - Karin Park - Human Beings Such a travesty she never made the Superfinal, great song and performance
    38. Malta - Raquel - Stop Haunting Me Atleast she never got to expirience what getting no points was like like Karen Debattista
    39. Sweden - Hasse Andersson - Guld Och Gröna Skogar One for the oldies now, love that he beat Eric.
    40. Portugal - Simone de Oliveira - À espera das canções One for the dead now and there was probably many people wishing they where watching Festival de Canço
    41. Switzerland - Kevin Charm feat. Lion Tree - Wonderful This is a nice surprise, not heard this before.

Some very good songs sadly missed out on this :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14 sets of votes in now, and the early runaway winner is beginning to stall...

1 song still on nothing, someone save it please!
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started listening now. Most of them are new to me, except Sweden, Latvian Final, HUN final, Est Final and Norway
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Will be having a good listen through to this tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19 sets of votes in now - you have until 4pm on Monday so get a move on! :p

Our runaway leader has been caught, but it's still pretty much a 20 horse race, the votes are all over the place, which is a good thing

Still one song on zero, anyone care to guess which song it is?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My votes will be with you at some point today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got my list down to 11, now just need to drop one and order them. Points should be with you either today or tomorrow. In the mean time, a little hint...

3x Sweden
    2x Denmark
    1x Estonia
    1x Iceland
    1x Latvia
    1x Malta
    1x Norway
    1x Switzerland

So that's nothing for Hungary, Finland, Germany, Ireland, and Portugal. :blush:
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have listened to 30 songs. 13 adavnce to second listen. Still 10 or so to go...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Our runaway leader has been caught, but it's still pretty much a 20 horse race, the votes are all over the place, which is a good thing

Idiot. The song that is :p lol. Or the Estonian one where they're all dressed like yodellers? :D
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

I'll give you a clue - it'll be mine! :D