Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR

Comments

• welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, glad he has bundled samba with it. I have to say though the moderator of that forum seems to know very little about freesat!

Rob
  • mrmarkymrmarky Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshblob wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, glad he has bundled samba with it. I have to say though the moderator of that forum seems to know very little about freesat!

Rob

LOL a few people on there thought he exact same, but then again he could be a $ky fanboy - that's the feeling I get, maybe jealous of our new upgrades lol
  • simolasimola Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Simple question (I think). I've read through the thread on AVF and I'm sorry to say I just dont understand :o

What functionality will this update bring? It seems a lot of effort to install and for what benefit?
  • simolasimola Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    simola wrote: »
    Simple question (I think). I've read through the thread on AVF and I'm sorry to say I just dont understand :o

What functionality will this update bring? It seems a lot of effort to install and for what benefit?

Edit: Just seen this from mrmarky which puts it in more context.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/5drnkm.jpg
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it also lets you see the Humax as a network attached device

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz263/GaseousClay/screencap.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I've read the readme and set all the files up. But when I start samba using samba start on telnet, I cannot get the drive to show up as a network drive. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adgloride wrote: »
    I've read the readme and set all the files up. But when I start samba using samba start on telnet, I cannot get the drive to show up as a network drive. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Couple of questions :
    1. Can you see nmbd and smbd running (login using telnet and type ps you should see everything thats running including something like the lines below)

529 root 928 S /opt/bin/nmbd -D
    531 root 1000 S /opt/bin/smbd -D

2. You are trying to map a drive with what exactly (Win 7 home premium ?), did you try manually going into map a drive and entering the following "\\Foxsat-HDR\Video"

3. Do you have both HDR and PC plugged directly into a modem router ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshblob wrote: »
    ... I have to say though the moderator of that forum seems to know very little about freesat!

Rob

If we're talking about posts 52-54 in this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1407447-media-file-server-bundle-foxsat-hdr-2.html, then I have to say he is right - the HDR *was* an excellent Freesat recorder before we started messing with it, now (technically) it is a substandard Freesat recorder. For one thing I think we broke the copy once restriction which some recordings have. :(

I'm happy to live with this - given the added ability to stream recordings around the place and copy them off at the click of a mouse. :rolleyes:
  • mrmarkymrmarky Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm the first to thank the guys for this excellent added functionality.

However it is an undeniable fact, is it not, that it is no longer according to Freesat standard, frankly thats because the standard is poor yes.

I see you thought better and deleted, and there was me settling in for an "oh yes it is" "oh no it isn't" thread.
    Forum Member
    Couple of questions :
    1. Can you see nmbd and smbd running (login using telnet and type ps you should see everything thats running including something like the lines below)

529 root 928 S /opt/bin/nmbd -D
    531 root 1000 S /opt/bin/smbd -D

2. You are trying to map a drive with what exactly (Win 7 home premium ?), did you try manually going into map a drive and entering the following "\\Foxsat-HDR\Video"

3. Do you have both HDR and PC plugged directly into a modem router ?

I have got it all setup on the router and have had no trouble getting Twonky to work. I have tried the ps command and can't see the nmbd or smdb running. Though the command I have to use to get to the files is mnt/hd4/opt/bin/nmbd for example. I am trying to connect using Visa. I think the samba share for me might be a little too complex.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I have installed the modification and can now watch my recorded programs from my bedroom via my Xtreamer. This is the best upgrade of the Humax I could have imagined.

Many thanks

Bob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adgloride wrote: »
    I have got it all setup on the router and have had no trouble getting Twonky to work. I have tried the ps command and can't see the nmbd or smdb running. Though the command I have to use to get to the files is mnt/hd4/opt/bin/nmbd for example. I am trying to connect using Visa. I think the samba share for me might be a little too complex.

Connecting using Visa is your problem for sure - the card slot only accepts Mastercard :D

If those programs aren't running then the Samba isn't starting and you won't see it no matter how you try.

Setup was as simple as doing BINARY ftp of the samba_setup entire directory to /opt, doing the chmod, running the script in the readme and rebooting. It should be that simple.

Try the transfer and setup again, if same results then try the following commands using telnet :
    cd /opt/etc/init.d
    ./S80samba start
    Forum Member
    I have now managed to set Samba up at last. Thanks for all the help. The new problem now is I reinstalled Twonky and now the Video and Music files won't show up lol

EDIT: Twonky is now working, forgot to set up the files via the webbrowser.

Great feature on Humax. Just a shame Humax couldn't have made it an official part of the firmware.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I know nothing about FTP, etc., and so have been unable to follow the instructions to get the media server running on my Foxsat. Can somebody help me please?
    I have got this far:
    * new software installed OK on the Foxsat
    * I installed Filezilla client so I can see the Foxsat from my PC - I note that you have to put the IP address of the Foxsat in the host name, then username HumaxFTP, password 0000 to do this: I can now see all the files shown in Raydon's instructions
    * I transferred the Samba set-up folder to the mnt/hd4/opt file ensuring binary mode was selected (Samba will be enough for me)
    * Don't know what Telnet is, but I found a free download FTP Telnet thing (TnFtpSrv.exe) - but haven't the faintest idea what to do with it?
    So basically I'm stuck at the Samba Setup page (I've ignored Twonky).
    From now on I need a real idiot's guide to finish the installation - I would be grateful for any help! Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick123 wrote: »
    From now on I need a real idiot's guide to finish the installation - I would be grateful for any help! Thanks!
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1409035-media-file-server-bundle-foxsat-hdr-dummies-guide.html (courtesy of mrmarky)

Probably Part 9 onwards
    Forum Member
    savvy wrote: »

Brilliant! - thanks Savvy and Mrmarky, the idiot's guide worked a treat. You were right Savvy, I had managed to get to step 8, so the rest proved to be easy once I saw that telnet was available as a cmd command.
    Works great with Buzz player on the iPad just using the samba bit - I didn't bother with Twonky.

Many thanks! :)
    PS - will I have a problem if the Foxsat IP changes? - do I have to set a static IP for it?
    Forum Member
    bairey wrote: »
    I have installed the modification and can now watch my recorded programs from my bedroom via my Xtreamer. This is the best upgrade of the Humax I could have imagined.

Many thanks

Bob
    I agree entirely, well done Raydon.
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the next couple of weeks (when I get the time) I am going to experiment with accessing the HDR from outside of the home network (using the direct IP address initally but then moving to a service such as that offered by DynDNS).

I know that I have to forward the relevant ports for FTP, TELNET and Twonky access to the IP address of the HDR however being paranoid I wondered how I could change the default ports that these use (in reality I probably won't leave TELNET access enabled anyway).

Looking on AV forums it seems that for Twonky the configuration is in twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini and I assume that if I change the line

httpremoteport=80

to

httpremoteport=1234 (as an example)

then I would access the Twonky configuration page by typing http://MyExternalIPAddresss:1234 into my web browser?

Has anyone out there successfully changed the standard TELNET and FTP ports (and if so how)?
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest I was looking at the latest firmware update to the HDR FOX T2.

It included the following interesting additions:
    - Humax TV Portal enabled
    - iPlayer
    - Internet Radio
    - Wiki@TV
    - Flickr
    - WiFi Support (Humax Dongle to be available from www.humaxdirect.co.uk)
    - FTP Server > Switch this option ON in the Internet Settings menu)
    - Username: humaxftp / Password: 0000
    - FTP is available for Backup purposes only
    - All content transfered from the product via FTP will be encrypted and you are only able to playback on the product when copied back on, or via USB
    - Allow selection of Multiple Folders for copy/move/delete
    - Trailer Booking (Green button "Book Me" prompt will appear on screen)
    - BBC and Channel 4 currently broadcasting info for Trailer Booking.
    - SMS Input supported

I don't like the idea encrypting all the content but interesting additions some of which I guess are not so difficult for Humax to add them to next update [like Trailer booking, copying of folders].
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I don't like the idea encrypting all the content but interesting additions some of which I guess are not so difficult for Humax to add them to next update [like Trailer booking, copying of folders].

Trailer booking, more info http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/2010/08/new-developments-on-freeview-a.shtml

The encrypted FTP cracks me up, rearrange these words to get a well known phrase or saying "clue don't you have Humax a".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Over the next couple of weeks (when I get the time) I am going to experiment with accessing the HDR from outside of the home network (using the direct IP address initally but then moving to a service such as that offered by DynDNS).
    Check out the thread by Wibs on AVForums here. He has already succeeded in accessing his HDR over the internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    The encrypted FTP cracks me up.
    Wish it was encrypted FTP, but the sad fact is that on the HD and HDR T2 all video, both SD and HD, is encrypted as it's being recorded.:(
    SD files later copied from the hard disk to USB are decrypted on the fly as they are transferred. So the FTP server is actually bog standard.
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ray-don wrote: »
    Check out the thread by Wibs on AVForums here. He has already succeeded in accessing his HDR over the internet.

Yes I've already read that.

I just wanted confirmation that to change the twonky port you just change the line httpremoteport=80 to httpremoteport=1234 (for example).

I haven't seen it anywhere but I would also like to change the FTP and TELNET ports that the HDR uses.

BTW - nice work on the modded firmware :D now if only soemone could work out how the HD & HDR T2's encrypyt the files ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ray-don wrote: »
    Wish it was encrypted FTP, but the sad fact is that on the HD and HDR T2 all video, both SD and HD, is encrypted as it's being recorded.:(
    SD files later copied from the hard disk to USB are decrypted on the fly as they are transferred. So the FTP server is actually bog standard.

:eek: we're going backwards, are they really restricted to do that by the Freeview agreement - surely not, since there are lots of other recorders that store SD unencrypted and allow it to be transferred off.

Sounds like we're stuck with home-brew firmware or DIY entertainment centres until an enterprising chinese manufacturer comes out with something for us.I was hoping Youview would be the answer, however it too is driven by the TV broadcasters so seems to be little hope that it will be the open platform that we need.