The Harry Potter Movies Best to Worst?

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
In which order to do you rank the film adaptions of the Harry Potter series based on your enjoyment of the movie from Best to Worst.

This is my list in order from the best film to the worst film.

1 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) (Director: Mike Newell)
2 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009) (Director: David Yates)
3 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) (Director: Chris Columbus)
4 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone (2001) (Director: Chris Columbus)
5 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) (Director: Alfonso Cuaron)
6 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) (Director: David Yates)
7 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) (Director: David Yates)
8 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010) (Director: David Yates)

Comments

• ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the ones by David Yates are the worst! And he's doing the Fantastic Beast film. Sheesh. Journeyman director...

Best of the bunch by a mile, is Prisoner of Azkaban.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    4. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philosophers stone
    Chamber of secrets
    Prisoner of azkaban
    Deathy hallows part 2
    Deathy hallows part 1
    Order of pheonix
    Goblet of fire
    Half blood prince

I was not surprised at how poor Half blood prince was because the book it's self imo was an absolute snore and chore to read.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    I've done this before I'm sure and my list is never the same from one time to the next but here goes anyway!

1. Prisoner of Azkaban - the only one that I felt got it spot on
    2. Chamber of secrets
    3. Philosopher's stone
    4. Order of the Phoenix
    5. Deathly Hallows Part 2 (though still annoyed at them splitting the film needlessly due to naked greed)
    6. Goblet of Fire (too many changes and annoying forced humour)
    7. Half blood prince
    8. Deathly Hallows Part 1 (total snooze fest, only the Peverell Brothers animation was any good and it ended at such a bizarre point and so abruptly that it took the entire cinema a good couple of minutes to realise it had actually finished)

That said, none of the films were really excellent, a missed opportunity in the rush to make as much money out if Harry Potter as they could as quickly as possible.
  • NikolajNikolaj Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    5. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    8. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

All of them are great.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PoA (when the series stopped being big budget CFF flicks)
    GoF
    OoP
    DH2
    HBP
    DH1
    TPS
    CoS
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    They all suck. I love the books read them EVERY year, the movies just sit on my shelf.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Philosophers Stone
    A good film, which really sets out the characters and whole HP universe quite well.

2. Prisoner of Azkaban
    A clever story-line in its own right.

After these two, the others are fairly equal - maybe Goblet of Fire and Chamber of Secrets come out slightly higher than the rest, but I've not thought enough about it to be able to grade all 8 films. Overall, though, it's a pretty good film series.
  • The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) (Director: Alfonso Cuaron)
    2 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) (Director: David Yates)
    3 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) (Director: Mike Newell)
    4 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009) (Director: David Yates)
    5 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) (Director: Chris Columbus)
    6 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) (Director: David Yates)
    7 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010) (Director: David Yates)
    8 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone (2001) (Director: Chris Columbus)
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    1 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    2 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    3 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    4 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    5 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    6 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    7 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
    8 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I had a HP marathon a couple weeks ago. Prisoner of Azkaban remains to be my absolute favourite and always will be!
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really sure I've got a 'favourite', but the one I definitely liked the least was whichever one it was with the giant octopus thing under the toilets.
  • L.O.V.EL.O.V.E Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    1 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    2 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    3 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    4 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
    5 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    6 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    7 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    8 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best to worst:

Prisoner of Azkaban
    Deathly Hallows Part Two
    Half Blood Prince
    Order of the Phoenix
    Philosopher's Stone
    Deathly Hallows Part One
    Goblet of Fire
    Chamber of Secrets

The Half Blood Prince is my favourite of the books, and while I enjoy the film it is a slightly disappointing adaptation. I don't know why they left out huge parts of Tom Riddle's backstory and spent so much time on the Ron/Lavender/Hermione love triangle, but there we go.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prisoner Of Azkaban and Goblet Of Fire are the best two, IMO. They've got the tightest structure and the best emotional pay-offs. The first two are both pretty terrible but Chamber Of Secrets is probably slightly better due to Lockhart giving it a bit of levity and humour.

All of the films under Yates had their own merits and flaws but overall they were a cohesive set, which looking back makes them feel they blurred into one a bit. I'd probably place OotP and DH part 2 on the same level, with HBP and DH part 1 getting bogged down with too much exposition but with some standout moments in both.
  • Wizard_of_OzilWizard_of_Ozil Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) DHP1 - The main trio's film.
    2) DHP2 - A wonderfully satisfying conclusion. It was originally divisive to split the novel in to two films but I think it's the most inspiring decision the producers made in the series. Faithful to the source material without compromising on cinematic quality.
    3) CoS - Severely underrated. A darker film than people give it credit for. Kenneth Brannagh as Lockhart was inspired casting.
    4) HBP - Was originally my least favourite for the exact reasons bass55 gave. With the gorgeous cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel, this would've undoubtedly have been the darkest film of the series. Still, director David Yates comes into his own. The actor's director of the series.
    5) PS - The most magical of the series, whatever its faults as a film. Will always have nostalgic fondness for this.
    6) GoF - Maybe it was an impossible task to adapt this to film given the book was the most plot heavy of the series. Nevertheless the film flies by as a greatest hits compilation.
    7) PoA - Always feel guilty putting this so low given it's the most cinematic film of the series. I never cared that much for the Marauders like everyone else does (I loved Lupin though).
    8) OotP - The only film I'm indifferent towards. Comes off as too televisual.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1-Chamber of Secrets
    2-Philosopher's Stone
    3-Order of the Phoenix
    4-Deathly Hallows 2
    5-Half-Blood Prince
    6-Deathly Hallows 1
    7-Goblet of Fire
    8-Prisoner of Azkaban
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the first was very inventive and something new.. Goblet of fire was good. The last two were turgid.
  • tillysufftillysuff Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I must be one of the only HP fans who really doesn't like the goblet of fire - both the book and the film. In fact I re-read all the books recently before reading the cursed child and i skipped GOF out.

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite and I do quite like the last 3 too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tillysuff wrote: »
    I think I must be one of the only HP fans who really doesn't like the goblet of fire - both the book and the film. In fact I re-read all the books recently before reading the cursed child and i skipped GOF out.

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite and I do quite like the last 3 too.

You're not the only one. I'll always skip this one when watching the movies. There's not a single scene in it that I would look forward to seeing. The director appeared to be doing his own thing and, for me, it didn't work. Dumbledore was just bizarre in this movie.

Wasn't too keen on the book either. I always strikes me that the Triwizard tournament is pretty crap. It lasts for months, only has 3 events and only one of the events can be seen by the spectators. And there must be an easier way to get somebody to touch a portkey.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tillysuff wrote: »

An unfortunate decision given how events in GoF are central to the plot of "Cursed Child".
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Wasn't too keen on the book either. I always strikes me that the Triwizard tournament is pretty crap. It lasts for months, only has 3 events and only one of the events can be seen by the spectators. And there must be an easier way to get somebody to touch a portkey.

Not a surprise given the Quiddich scoring system is also essentially broken. 99% of the time whichever chaser catches the snitch wins the game so the other players are wasting their time.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philosophers Stone EE
    Chamber of Secrets EE
    Deathy Hallows part 1
    Deathy Hallows part 2
    Order of the Phoenix
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Goblet of Fire
    Half Blood Prince

The first four on my list are the closest imo to the books and the top two show quite a lot of Harry's world, which the other films ommitted, and Azkaban and Goblet had too much cut from them. The first 2 also had the better Dumbledore who seemed more like the one in the books, and i know he had to be replaced as Richard Harris died, but Michael Gambon just played him as a miserable old man.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoA everytime. The only one which captured the magic of the books for me.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite. The first two films seemed a bit 'hollywood' at the time but looking back they were better than some of the later films when all the colour was drained out to give everything a dark blue sort of effect. That actually annoyed me more than the departures from the book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite. The first two films seemed a bit 'hollywood' at the time but looking back they were better than some of the later films when all the colour was drained out to give everything a dark blue sort of effect. That actually annoyed me more than the departures from the book.

imo, that's why the franchise is so huge. Warner Bros saw something great and threw everything in their arsenal at it including the wondrous John Williams. The first two films set the benchmark for others to follow.