Copying VHS to a PC

Does anyone know of a way to connect a VHS video recorder upto a PC ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need a "capture card" or "TV card". You can get these devices either as cards, which fit inside your PC, or as USB adaptors. Make sure that you get one that has an S-Video (best) or Composite (OK) input, and left and right audio inputs, for connecting to your VCR.

Some of these devices are sold purely for transferring from VHS or camcorder to PC, some have a TV tuner built-in, so you can watch TV on your PC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you have a S-VCR then there isnt the requirement for an s.video input as composite is the best a normal VCR can output.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I almost got one of these to transfer some F1 races onto DVD:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=14291009803&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82615

But I never got round to it so can't tell you if it's any good...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I'm just about to start putting all my home video on to DVD. I've found an old PCTV Rave card that i'm going to use to capture the video and then use nero vision to turn it into a DVD.

The only trouble is, it's gonna take ages :mad:
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a dvd recorder for the tv with 2 scarts on the back, you could dub from vhs onto discs that way. Then put the discs in the pc.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote:
    If you have a dvd recorder for the tv with 2 scarts on the back, you could dub from vhs onto discs that way. Then put the discs in the pc.

Dave
    I starting doing this. 1st problem, the kids are always on the TV. 2nd problem, My panasonic DVD won't let me record copy protected videos. I am hoping that going into the PC 1st will get round this problem.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might. But lets just say that I have seen dvd *backups* with certain brands of encoding being unbreakable with software, thus preventing the backup being made at all. Even if it does work, its a very long winded process indeed - not some thing most people have time to figure out. Certainly I havn't got the energy to put into it.

But its not quite the same thing, so maybe.....

Dave