Options

Five worst singing voices ever?

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching an old TOTP2 last night and seeing the great Stranglers doing Go Buddy GO with Jean Jacque Burnell doing the vocals, I would go with him. Doesnt take away from the fact I LOVE that song.
    I dont think "worst singer" is the same as "most disliked" singer. Look at Ian Dury. Couldnt really sing but was equally brilliant. Looks like most on here are just listing the ones they hate. Just waiting for GL to say Adele:rolleyes:
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - T Pain
    - Bob Dylan
    - Dave McPherson
    - George Formby
    - Brody Dalle
  • Options
    xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I cant believe no one has said Victoria Beckham!!!

She is without doubt the weakest singer I have ever heard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why people think Britney cannot sing due to the endless lip-synching, but she actually does have a really good underrated voice, such as in this unreleased song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdd4dlss7TA
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa Scott Lee
    Billie Piper
    Mollie King
    Jordan
    Pitball
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    All the easy teeny-pop suspects have been done, so I'm going to suggest...

Morrissey - I should love The Smiths. Great tunes. Marvellous lyrics. But, urgh, THAT voice.

Bob Dylan - Nails. Blackboard.

David Bowie - Yes I know he one of the most infuential artists of the 20th century. Yes, he has some good songs. But let's not kid ourselves, a great vocalist he is not.

With female singers, I have a personal dislike of melisma and vibrato, but I recognise that that's the style, rather than the singing ability.

But I shall offer - Patsy Kensit - weak, insipid, limited.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    in my opinion its-

britney spears
    jessie j
    pitbull
    cher lloyd
    justin bieber
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh one of those "let's just list all of the artists I do not like" thread! Some people have listed artists that can sing, there are plenty of truly terrible acts who can not sing at all that you can choose from instead!

Agreed on Kesha, Katy Perry, Britney Spears etc ~ simply because I feel they genuinely just can't sing.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boyzone.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you fans of recent pop music on here are spoiled if you think that the likes of Britney etc. can't sing.

You obviously haven't heard Ian Brown or Bernard Sumner trying to sing live (and I'm a big fan of the Stone Roses and New Order).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Mariah carey
    Alexandra Burke
    Leona Lewis
    Celine Dion
    Beyonce

Ridiculous. Regardless of whether you like they're singing style you cannot deny that these women have brilliant talented voices
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Wow-never heard her sing live before; can see why now. :eek:.

Tanita Tikaram at The Brit Awards is not good either:

http://youtu.be/VvH8O8iU-Fo (although it was the notorious Sam Fox/Mick Fleetwood year!)

I'm cringing just thinking about it. My sister and I had banged on to my Dad about how good she was, then we watched her on the Brits and my Dad looked at us as if we were mad.

Loved Womack and Womack, but when they did Celebrate the World on Top of the Pops it was embarrassing. I think they were having an off day. :D

For me its not so much whether someone's a bad singer, but how they use their voice.

Mariah Carey - great range but never seems to sing properly. all that breathy whispering arrgh.

Celine Dion - great voice just absolutely dreadful contrived songs.

Liam Gallagher - why did the proceed with him, Noel should've sacked him and done the vocal. His voice aint fantastic but it isn't as flat as sh*t like Liam's.

I also think when a singer has other tricks up their sleeves, like they write great lyrics and front a great band then they can get away with it. People like Ian Dury or Nick Cave, no real singing talent, but musically brilliant.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher Lloyd's voice is just vile

David Bowie

Mark Owen has ruined many TT songs

all of the Saturdays

Jason Donovan has got worse with age
  • Options
    Jeanie GoldJeanie Gold Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous. Regardless of whether you like they're singing style you cannot deny that these women have brilliant talented voices

I may be wrong, but I think that was the point.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Mariah carey
    Alexandra Burke
    Leona Lewis
    Celine Dion
    Beyonce

Why have you voted twice & must be a joke
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    I'm cringing just thinking about it. My sister and I had banged on to my Dad about how good she was, then we watched her on the Brits and my Dad looked at us as if we were mad.

Loved Womack and Womack, but when they did Celebrate the World on Top of the Pops it was embarrassing. I think they were having an off day. :D

For me its not so much whether someone's a bad singer, but how they use their voice.

Mariah Carey - great range but never seems to sing properly. all that breathy whispering arrgh.

Liam Gallagher - why did the proceed with him, Noel should've sacked him and done the vocal. His voice aint fantastic but it isn't as flat as sh*t like Liam's.

I also think when a singer has other tricks up their sleeves, like they write great lyrics and front a great band then they can get away with it. People like Ian Dury or Nick Cave, no real singing talent, but musically brilliant.

I think that's harsh... it may be worth noting that he is 40 years old. At the peak of Oasis Liam had one of the best voices about, that whole nasal voice between 94-99 was bloody great live... then from 99-2002 it become abit more rough but still sounded good.

After that... well, the smoking and booze didn't do him any favours. Every artists voice ages at some stage, I think it's unfair to name someone whos not even really at their peak anymore... or else we would name Mick Jagger aswell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember many years ago, playing Duran Durans Rio album in my bedroom. My brother knocked on my door and said "put the radio on" so I did and the very same song "My Own Way" was being broadcast from a live concert. The difference was staggering - and horrible. Simon Le Bon was flatter than a pancake.

Oh and one more to add to the list,

Shane McGowan.

And I still love Fairytale of New York. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1.Adele ( Tends to shout through most songs )

2.Lady Ga Ga ( Vile )

3.Cher Lloyd ( Tone deaf )

4.Bob Dylan ( Dire )

5.Ian Brown ( Karaoke esque )
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on. Who's voting for Mariah and Christina? You might not like their style or the way they use their voice, but come on, you can hardly think them the WORST voices ever. Have ye heard Cheryl Cole/Jedward/Ricky Martin and the like?
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ke$ha is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJmgx09Rgk (ignore the background :p)

Rebecca Black
    Jedward
    T Pain
    Rihanna
    Justin Bieber
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhianna x 5 for me.

Nasaly whiny and often just down right flat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spindiddly wrote: »
    Ke$ha is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJmgx09Rgk (ignore the background :p)

Rebecca Black
    Jedward
    T Pain
    Rihanna
    Justin Bieber

Agree with all of this except id also add LMFAO as well even tho i quite like them and the Black Eyed Peas
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »

I take it you mean this Top of the Pops performance? http://youtu.be/kHpCXYUz5UA

Mariah Carey seems to have been hell bent on reaching notes so high only dogs can hear them; which is a shame because I really do like her version of "I'll Be There."

As for Celine Dion? I can never get my head around the fact she started to use auto tune in her material.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The reason i did that was because i cannot believe some of the absurd answers in this thread, I mean, people actually think Britney, Jessie J and Lana Del Rey are bad singers, how thick can you get?
    You can either sing or you cant sing, its not an opinion, its fact, where opinion comes into it is whether you like their voice, but that doesnt mean they cant sing.
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all of my favourite singers are on here :cry: Just because they're successful doesn't mean they have a bad voice :(