So who is Tasha Lem?

124»

Comments

• sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    The dialogue was ambiguous... Also it's been established that very few people can pilot the Tardis

Nope. It's been established that every companion at least can pilot the TARDIS. Also, as in Journey's End, even non-companions can pilot the TARDIS. Pretty much everyone who has been in it in NuWho can pilot it.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dialogue was ambiguous... Also it's been established that very few people can pilot the Tardis

They need to be taught by someone who knows such as the Doctor. Both Amy and Clara can do a passable job of flying it when needs be (Amy in The Lodger and Clara in the 50th). We even saw the Doctor teaching Clara. So if Tasha - as Brady said - is someone a previous Doctor had a relationship with then it's perfect plausible she could fly it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    They need to be taught by someone who knows such as the Doctor. Both Amy and Clara can do a passable job of flying it when needs be (Amy in The Lodger and Clara in the 50th). We even saw the Doctor teaching Clara. So if Tasha - as Brady said - is someone a previous Doctor had a relationship with then it's perfect plausible she could fly it.

Yeah after a re watch I'd say it's ambiguous still... It's like there's a bit of River there but if you separate it out it's just hints and probably red herrings... Moff does know we love a good scrabble about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Melonie Pond born at Christmas.

Christmas is on Trendsalor, or however you spell it.

River Song begins where the Doctor ends, as she semi-implied. Could this mean anything?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Chaz wrote: »
    Melonie Pond born at Christmas.

Christmas is on Trendsalor, or however you spell it.

River Song begins where the Doctor ends, as she semi-implied. Could this mean anything?

'They bred a psychopath to kill you'

'Totally married her'

I loved that line.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I kinda got the impression it was The Master in female form...

Finally admitting his mancrush on the doctor and this time becoming the rubbish beard himself instead of marrying or growing one ;)
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is true... He wrote it for River and tweaked it to imply it instead...

Yes, I think this could be true.
    SHAFT wrote: »
    This. You'd have to be a bit dim to think she actually was River. The dialogue made it pretty obvious that she wasn't.

Lol, I didn't think I was dim :o:D:D
    petertard wrote: »
    Tasha Lem is a combination of Tasha Yar (from Star Trek The Next Generation) and Stanislaw Lem, the author of Solaris.

Hahah - you got it :):D:p

sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Nope. It's been established that every companion at least can pilot the TARDIS. Also, as in Journey's End, even non-companions can pilot the TARDIS. Pretty much everyone who has been in it in NuWho can pilot it.

Ohh, I didn't know that. So is this whats happening in that famous scene in Journeys End when the companions fly the TARDIS together?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think it was River, but I do concede that she seemed to imply his body was new... Though he was naked she could have just been implying he was working out...

Reasons why it's probably River:

Tasha is a short version of Natasha meaning born at Christmas. Reversing Lem it could mean: Mel, born at Christmas. As in, conceived in the Tardis, during Christmas time (after "The Big Bang" episode) when Amy & Rory were on their HONEYMOON in "A Christmas Carol" on the space-liner ship.

If LEM is actually "Mels"/River's data consciousness appropriated by the Papal Mainframe from the Libray CAL's computer it would explain why she said the Doctor got a new body. The last time she saw the Doctor was when he was in Tennant's body. The doctor mentioned he'd been rocking it for centuries in that one. Her library memories of his likeness could have been limited to Tennant's likeness.

Clearly there's a history between them and the Doctor makes a point to mention River to her and that he married her.

The Doctor later points out Lem has been battling psychosis all her life.

Lem wants him to fly away from danger above all else. The type of concern you would expect from RS.

Lem can fly the Tardis and mentions that it was a lot easier than flying the Doctor. River always knew the Doctor needed his human companions, urged him to not travel alone, and insured his current one was there for the end. She went to great lengths to get this "random" companion there. More than you would expect from a physical representative/Mother Superious of the Papal Mainframe.

I've heard that Orla Brady won't be back, but it sure would be handy if she were still on board and can land the Tardis and explain some of this herself in the first Capaldi episode.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I found this character incredibly irritating; really hope she won't be back. It was too much like Irene Adler in Sherlock.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she is the Tardis like in the episode the wife of the doctor, with lines like Flying the doctor was always easy.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have prefered to see Kovarian back. We never did find out why she hated teh doctor so much. Way she spat the name "doctor" at him and said it was a 2privellage" to trick him. She rightly or wrongly blamed him for something. Probably teh loss of her home or a loved one. However that does not excuse what she did.Would have liked to see her sent to jail for her crimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Would have prefered to see Kovarian back. We never did find out why she hated teh doctor so much. Way she spat the name "doctor" at him and said it was a 2privellage" to trick him. She rightly or wrongly blamed him for something. Probably teh loss of her home or a loved one. However that does not excuse what she did.Would have liked to see her sent to jail for her crimes.

She thought the bitter war went on long enough and took some silents and broke off into their own faction and took the vow of the silence a wee bit too far, they explained that in the episode
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I'm going off the theory that the Doctor has a type and Tasha Lem fit it. He likes 'Bad girls' as evidenced by River Song. Plus he sounded VERY nostalgic when he was recollecting the Corsair, who could be quite the naughty girl.

I agree. I just posted this in a different thread:-

Tasha behaved the same as River and the Doctor reacted to her the same way that he does to River. It really felt as if the script had initially included River as the Mother Superior. Either that or Moffat just rehashed exactly the same character. Remember Alex Kingston did the voiceover in AGMGTW?

The Doctor certainly has a type - if he does online dating, his requirements would be

1)Struggling with their inner psychopath
    2)Able to pilot a spaceship that can travel in time and space
    3)Dalek Killer
    4)Can rise from the dead, without rotting and stinking out the place.

No wonder he's lonely!
    Forum Member
    Shrimps wrote: »

The Doctor certainly has a type - if he does online dating, his requirements would be

1)Struggling with their inner psychopath
    2)Able to pilot a spaceship that can travel in time and space
    3)Dalek Killer
    4)Can rise from the dead, without rotting and stinking out the place.

No wonder he's lonely!

Well, Matt Smith's Doctor. I don't know whether it applies to any of the others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm concerned, Tasha Lem is simply another annoying female character who thinks she's so wonderful, something the new Who has had far too many of.

In fact, I'd like to see a female producer simply in the hopes that there would be different types of female characters represented rather than the same-old, same-old that keeps getting churned out.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasha Lem is the daughter of Mr and Mrs Lem.

That's so obvious, man!!! Get with the plot, people!!!!!!! :D:D
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's...

Yer Mum!

:D
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Well, Matt Smith's Doctor. I don't know whether it applies to any of the others.

That's true. As I recall, the 5th Doctor showed an interest in the lady scientist in "Kinda". The 10th Doctor showed an interest in Astrid, a waitress with dreams of traveling the universe. Also the 8th Doctor was interested in Grace, a heart surgeon. Unfortunately, she had previously killed him (inadvertently of course) and caused him to regenerate but who said the course of true love was ever easy? :D

For myself, I never believed that River was some great love of the Doctor's life. In fact, she came across to me as a desperate woman who knows she loves a man more than he cares about her. And while she and the Doctor did have a nice scene in "The Name of the Doctor", it was too little, too late in my opinion and it felt like that was shoved in there so the Doctor could show her some affection.
    Forum Member
    Speaking of Grace, as an American, I can't help but notice that the Doctor hasn't had too many American companions and the two he has had both "did him in." Peri indirectly because he died to save her although I suppose she could also be directly blamed in the sense that she wasn't careful and touched the sticky web type stuff and got infected as did the Doctor when he brushed the stuff off of her.

And then while the 7th Doctor was shot by gang members, that isn't what killed him, it was Grace operating on him.

Therefore, while the Doctor also died for Rose, given the percentage of British companions to American companions, the American companions seem particularly dangerous to the Doctor's health and he should probably stay away from getting any more. Sob! :p
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, Tasha Lem is simply another annoying female character who thinks she's so wonderful, something the new Who has had far too many of.

In fact, I'd like to see a female producer simply in the hopes that there would be different types of female characters represented rather than the same-old, same-old that keeps getting churned out.

I think that's why a lot of people thought she might be River Song; it was such a similar character.

Maybe Moffat thinks that this is the type of woman the Doctor goes for!
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

Maybe it's the type of woman HE goes for!
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I think that's why a lot of people thought she might be River Song; it was such a similar character.

Makes sense...

...someone who would be more dangerous if they weren't kept busy keeping him in check.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I watched the episode again last night and it seemed a bit clearer to me who she is.

When the Dalek said Tasha died "several times" it couldn't have been talking about regeneration, as these deaths occurred during TotD, i.e. after we first see her at the beginning of the episode (I don't know if this was already really obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't for me for whatever reason). So they must have been bringing her back to life to kill her again... unless she's one of Captain Jack's intermediate stages between being human and being the Face of Boe(!).

As for knowing how to fly the TARDIS, I guess the Doctor could have taken her on short dates during the war and learned then, unless this was part of her past history with the Doctor.

Speaking of which, when could the Doctor have known her? I say either as the Eighth Doctor before the Time War or as the Tenth Doctor during the 2009 Specials time (more likely in my opinion).

So basically, Tasha is probably just a new character from the Doctor's past who we haven't seen before.