Three BBC weather presenters to disappear from screens in cost cutting drive

Comments

• mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine the row that would be raging if the BBC removed three of its female weather presenters and the men stayed put or, even more explosive, the female presenters taken off air were beyond their first flushes of youth.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    This is a Met Office decision. E-mail enquiries@metoffice.gov.uk to voice your concerns about the removal of Rob McElwee from the BBC forecasts.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd bump this up as I thought they were supposed to be cutting back,instead of which the number of weather presenters at South East Today seems to be increasing! Start with Kaddy,Kaye,Nazaneen and Michael Fish. Kaye went on extended leave for whatever reason so Lara Lewington was bought in to cover,and was kept on as a replacement when Nazaneen left. Kaye then returned,which still meant four presenters,however since then they've had Stav Danaos and now Elizabeth Austen in as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And today I hear that BBC weather forecasters are threatening strike action over the proposals.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    And today I hear that BBC weather forecasters are threatening strike action over the proposals.

That will be a waste of time.

In the days before the BBC was for ever bleating about cash shortages, the news readers gave the forecast at the end of each bulletin.
    I've long said "The Weather Show" has grown like Topsy.
    We'll still get the weather forecast.

I could never understand why those presenting it, usually young attractive young women, are revered like celebrities by some on here.

We can manage without the "Show!"
  • fast forwardfast forward Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could never understand why those presenting it, usually young attractive young women, are revered like celebrities by some on here.

We can manage without the "Show!"

You can't get your facts right,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/about/newsid_8186000/8186155.stm

Count up how many men and how many women.

And then look at their qualifications, presenters (like some other channels) or weather forecasters?

And then admit you were wrong.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand why weather presenters have to be `trained` weather forecasters?

Lets face it, any presenter can read out the text, with the scientists (and I use the word very loseley) sorting out the forecast in the backroom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't get your facts right,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/about/newsid_8186000/8186155.stm

Count up how many men and how many women.

And then look at their qualifications, presenters (like some other channels) or weather forecasters?

And then admit you were wrong.

I'm not even going to bother with your link, because you are failing to see the "big picture."

The Met Office is principally the MOD's problem, it's essential for air traffic control.

All I've said is the BBC can do without a few weather presenters/forecasters, the newsreaders can read the forecast as they once used to. Whether they are dolly girls (who I probably notice most) or men hardly matters. If only "Diddy Danny Corbett" would go on strike!

Trust me, the Met Office will continue to supply the BBC with a weather forecast.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before ITV introduced weather presenters, they showed a graphic of the UK with it divided in to sections if necessary. On each section the forecast was provided, eg Sunny at first, rain later. Max 20C.

We were not subjected to these long forecasts filled with tech talk that very few people understand, although ITV is better than the BBC for not using jargon. More often than not I not much wiser after a TV weather presenter has done their bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If ever there was an example of "bigging up the job" it's the weather forecast.
    Here in the North-West it's not even that accurate. It depends on the prevailing winds, so we sometimes get the weather, "earlier or later."

Most viewers I imagine only need to know whether they need a coat or might need a brolly when they go out. I'd manage quite well with just that information.
    It was possible to give all the necessary information read over two maps after each news bulletin.

However, the BBC will probably tell us for the time the programme is on the air, it's "cheap TV."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even going to bother with your link, because you are failing to see the "big picture."

So you say that presenters are "usually young attractive women" and then refuse to check the link which shows they are not, there are more men than women.

And then bluster off on some other point.
    The Met Office is principally the MOD's problem, it's essential for air traffic control.

And then you accuse me of failing to see the "big picture", weather foreasting affects many others from inshore to shipping to rural communities to farmers to sports events. I think you need to check out the big picture, your perspective is way out.
    Trust me, the Met Office will continue to supply the BBC with a weather forecast.

Ans that's hardly a revelation as the BBC has just retendered for the supply of this service. But I doubt you even knew that.

Bluster and more bluster and lack of knowledge; following in the footsteps of other great blusterers on this forum like staple gun and ebble.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you say that presenters are "usually young attractive women" and then refuse to check the link which shows they are not, there are more men than women.

And then bluster off on some other point.

And then you accuse me of failing to see the "big picture", weather foreasting affects many others from inshore to shipping to rural communities to farmers to sports events. I think you need to check out the big picture, your perspective is way out.

Ans that's hardly a revelation as the BBC has just retendered for the supply of this service. But I doubt you even knew that.

Bluster and more bluster and lack of knowledge; following in the footsteps of other great blusterers on this forum like staple gun and ebble.

No, you're the one who's blustering.

Did I say there wouldn't be a weather forecast? No?

Will the viewers be denied a weather forecast because of a strike by a few people?
    No!

The weather for shipping will still be on the radio as it has for decades.

Do I care if there are more male forecasters than women? No!

If at the times I watch the forecast it's usually presented by a women, then that's an undeniable (but totally unimportant) fact.
    I suggest you stop bangin' on about something as of little importance, as the ratio of men to women.
    What's that got to do with the industrial action I've commented on?

Did I say the BBC didn't want to continue with the service? No!

I'm suggesting they could manage without the "Weather Show" if they had to.
    Don't try to manipulate what I've said in an attempt to score points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do I care if there are more male forecasters than women? No!

Err, it looks like you do care
    I suggest you stop bangin' on about something as of little importance, as the ratio of men to women.

Because you made a statement that was wrong?

I think you'll find I was quoting what you said rather than manipulating what you said.

So long Bluster Boy
  • PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    I'm suggesting they could manage without the "Weather Show" if they had to.

Who is this 'they' that could manage???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, it looks like you do care

Because you made a statement that was wrong?

No I wasn't wrong, it was my observations from whenever I have watched the weather forecast.

But as I said, it was still unimportant, except to you of course!

I think you'll find I was quoting what you said rather than manipulating what you said.

Try reading all you said, don't just pick bits out of it.
    So long Bluster Boy

You're going?

Bye!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »
    Who is this 'they' that could manage???

"They" are the BBC.
    As I've said several times, the newsreaders used to read the weather at the end of the bulletin.

I'm only guessing of course, but I don't think they made it up, or had some seaweed and pine cones under their desks.
    It was likely to have come from the Met Office.
    As I've said before the BBC will still get the weather forecast out, strike or no strike.
  • emi2001emi2001 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    As I've said several times, the newsreaders used to read the weather at the end of the bulletin.
    Well yes, before 1957, if that's what we want to go back to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emi2001 wrote: »
    Well yes, before 1957, if that's what we want to go back to.

Err..

I was pointing out that having once done it before, it would be possible for us to "get through the day" without the "Weather Show."

It's like me saying "We once won the World Cup" and you saying, "Well if you want to go back to 1966."

Whenever it was, it was still the weather forecast, there weren't placarded demonstrations outside TV Centre complaining about insufficient information and the BBC weren't constantly bitching about being short of cash.

My first post suggested we'd still get a weather forecast, despite any strike action, that's still true.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Before ITV introduced weather presenters, they showed a graphic of the UK with it divided in to sections if necessary. On each section the forecast was provided, eg Sunny at first, rain later. Max 20C.

We were not subjected to these long forecasts filled with tech talk that very few people understand, although ITV is better than the BBC for not using jargon. More often than not I not much wiser after a TV weather presenter has done their bit.

I just need to know whether it's going to rain or not, or be windy or not. I don't need fancy graphics telling me what's going on elsewhere in the world, days before it MIGHT get to us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I just need to know whether it's going to rain or not, or be windy or not. I don't need fancy graphics telling me what's going on elsewhere in the world, days before it MIGHT get to us.

Exactly!

As for the ratio of numbers of men and women presenters, it doesn't necessarily mean that they each make the same number of appearances on every channel.
  • White MonkWhite Monk Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Thornton has announced on BBC South's weather twitter profile that she's leaving tonight, which possibly means Georgie Palmer is finally making her return.

Seen her both in the morning and evening London region programmes recently :)

http://thumbnails24.imagebam.com/11176/c88fa1111755710.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White Monk wrote: »
    Seen her both in the morning and evening London region programmes recently :)

http://thumbnails24.imagebam.com/11176/c88fa1111755710.jpg

That's because she's covering maternity leave for Kate Kinsella,who has just had a baby boy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    That's because she's covering maternity leave for Kate Kinsella,who has just had a baby boy.

Lol.:D....after reading this thread(yes I`am bored).....one can only but laugh.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Kinsella gave birth to a boy this weekend.

BBC South East viewers will be welcoming ITV Anglia weather presenter Rachel Mackley later this month, which should mean the end of the random freelancers and BBC Weather Centre support forecasters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So bye bye Stav,Lara and Elisabeth then?

Anglia viewers must be getting fed up with the BBC nicking their weather presenters,first Wendy going to London and now Rachel.