New High res pics/video of the new Blackberry phone!

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Everyone knows blackberrys have always been absolutely rubbish in both terms of hardware and performance. This wont change. RIM wont be around much longer. The axe is falling.

Although blackberry sales are now suffering badly, mainly due to not updating enough recently, I can't agree with the statement about hardware. Blackberry have built some very tough business phones with excellent keyboards (which are still better to use than touch screen). That along with their secure email was a winner with a large number of businesses, and still is.
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    ?

Everyone knows blackberrys have always been absolutely rubbish in both terms of hardware and performance. This wont change. RIM wont be around much longer. The axe is falling.

But what about those people who really do NOT want touchscreen phones?
    Blackberry is one of the main choices for them.
    So while people still want keyboards, Blackberry will still have a market.

Having said that, when my contract is up next year, I will be considering moving away from Blackberry if I can find another make of keyboard phone -

so maybe you are right.

My Bold has keyboard AND touchscreen. I can't disable the touchscreen when I am on a phonecall and it keeps putting people on hold.
    And I hate the Blackberries which don't have touchscreens [Curve, for example. Hate it.] so if RIM don't come up with a fantastic Bold that has no touchscreen facility, I will be looking elsewhere.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It looks exactly like a Jiayu G3. First time i've heard of an american company copying a Chinese company-
    http://img.lightake.com/image201204/sku_56925_1.JPG

I'm not a fan of the OS tbh. That's my 2pence.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, whos feeling threatened?

Anyway, the day i feel threatened in regards to tech, is the day i know to kill myself as there is nothing more stupid or pointless.

Yep so rubbish that 80 million people have a bb in some shape or form. So Rubbish that Rim are praised for having leading class security. There are still government agencies and law enforcement around the world who still use bb hardware.

You need to take your Apple goggles off. And whilst we are at it if you want to talk about Rubbish how about IOS still looking like it did 5 years ago or how The vast majority of Android phones are still on Android 2.x

It's a current trend to bash rim but I haven't seen much innovation coming from Apple. Granted you see more on Android handsets but then you have to put up with the many different skins and lack of OS updates.

I'm pretty bored of that merry go round. Be good to try something different. I'm sure there are others out there who are also little tired of current offerings and would like to try something else.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »

It's a current trend to bash rim but I haven't seen much innovation coming from Apple. Granted you see more on Android handsets but then you have to put up with the many different skins and lack of OS updates.

I'm pretty bored of that merry go round. Be good to try something different. I'm sure there are others out there who are also little tired of current offerings and would like to try something else

With Android, if you don't like something enough, you can change it. With Blackberry you are stuck with whatever they give, which is usually slow and laggy, a common hallmark of a RIM device.

The Playbook was an utter flop that they had to give away at a heavily slashed price, no developers wanted to touch the QNX platform which is why they got desperate and had to resort to porting Android apps to Blackberry App World, I don't think these new devices will be any different.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it will be a success. Android and iOS have now reached a stage where it would take an extreme reversal of fortune for them to be dethroned as Microsoft is finding out. Many people want to try something different by having Linux on their PCs, but that doesn't mean it will become a leading operating system any time soon. The same applies to Blackberry, and I'm sorry to say that like Palm they just haven't done enough to save themselves from the inevitable. :)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yep so rubbish that 80 million people have a bb in some shape or form. So Rubbish that Rim are praised for having leading class security. There are still government agencies and law enforcement around the world who still use bb hardware.

You need to take your Apple goggles off. And whilst we are at it if you want to talk about Rubbish how about IOS still looking like it did 5 years ago or how The vast majority of Android phones are still on Android 2.x

I'm pretty bored of that merry go round. Be good to try something different. I'm sure there are others out there who are also little tired of current offerings and would like to try something else.

Most are business phones simply bought because of the superb email encryption others dont provide. Other than that, its 10 year olds for BBM.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their Bold range has always been good. The 9700 was such a good phone (imo)
    It's the cheaper models that are bad.
    I guess it's all personal opinion though.

The thing that bugged me the most was the stagnant software. Their hardware was always good in the 3 Blackberry phones I had.
    Forum Member
    Most are business phones simply bought because of the superb email encryption others dont provide. Other than that, its 10 year olds for BBM.

This, every single kid i see has a blackberry. Even my 12 year old cousin wants one just for BBM and is probably getting one this christmas. I tell him that BBM costs £5 extra and that texting or whatsapp is free. He says everyone has a blackberry though and that he wants the one his friend has. I ask him which one that is (thinking its the 9900 most expensive one) and he says the 8520.

Faceplam :p

Kids eh :rolleyes:
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its either 10 year olds for BBM or business people that weren't scarred by the major outage in the summer!!!!!! I thought that was going to be the death of RIM!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks alright to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No other provider offers secure email and hardware to the level rim do, so they have a good market.

Apple are making some progress but not enough yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    No other provider offers secure email and hardware to the level rim do, so they have a good market.

Apple are making some progress but not enough yet.

Lol, yeah business loves the closed Apple ecosystem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, yeah business loves the closed Apple ecosystem.

Do you think they shouldn't then:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    With Android, if you don't like something enough, you can change it. With Blackberry you are stuck with whatever they give, which is usually slow and laggy, a common hallmark of a RIM device.

The Playbook was an utter flop that they had to give away at a heavily slashed price, no developers wanted to touch the QNX platform which is why they got desperate and had to resort to porting Android apps to Blackberry App World, I don't think these new devices will be any different.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it will be a success. Android and iOS have now reached a stage where it would take an extreme reversal of fortune for them to be dethroned as Microsoft is finding out. Many people want to try something different by having Linux on their PCs, but that doesn't mean it will become a leading operating system any time soon. The same applies to Blackberry, and I'm sorry to say that like Palm they just haven't done enough to save themselves from the inevitable. :)

The playbook is a quality device its improved a great deal since it's launched. At least RIM tried to fix things instead of doing what other vendors do and chuck it and bring out something else which doesn't always address the previous model's faults!

I'm viewing gorgeous YouTube content in HD tethered to my phone right now on my way home from work. I am typing on it now. I can simply swipe across whilst YouTube is still open and the video continues to play. Oh and it's the full Site not a mobile Site! Best browser in the business! Does flash and html 5 without breaking a sweat. Got enough apps to keep me going. Got bookmarks on the homescreen for all the catch up tv services like iplayer 4od etc and they all play off the browser as smooth as silk.

Playbook rocks!
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It looks exactly like a Jiayu G3. First time i've heard of an american company copying a Chinese company-
    http://img.lightake.com/image201204/sku_56925_1.JPG

I'm not a fan of the OS tbh. That's my 2pence.

Have you used it?

Would be interested to hear whats it like?
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Have you used it?

Would be interested to hear whats it like?

Aha no, i haven't used it. I have used the previous Blackberry OS like the one on the 9900. But after watching a few videos of the blackberry 10 OS it looks good but like i said i'm not a fan.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Aha no, i haven't used it. I have used the previous Blackberry OS like the one on the 9900. But after watching a few videos of the blackberry 10 OS it looks good but like i said i'm not a fan.

Thought as much ;)

Going to be hugely different to the old OS, i'm hoping it's going to be a success being a former blackberry user but we'll have to see..
    Forum Member
    The playbook is a quality device its improved a great deal since it's launched. At least RIM tried to fix things instead of doing what other vendors do and chuck it and bring out something else which doesn't always address the previous model's faults!

I'm viewing gorgeous YouTube content in HD tethered to my phone right now on my way home from work. I am typing on it now. I can simply swipe across whilst YouTube is still open and the video continues to play. Oh and it's the full Site not a mobile Site! Best browser in the business! Does flash and html 5 without breaking a sweat. Got enough apps to keep me going. Got bookmarks on the homescreen for all the catch up tv services like iplayer 4od etc and they all play off the browser as smooth as silk.

Playbook rocks!

You know any tablet does that with ease as well? What you are talking about isnt specific to the playbook lol

Its still a massive failure!
  • RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I briefly went back to BlackBerry, after having had an Android phone for over a year.. I got the 9900 and was impressed at the build quality, it was a gorgeous phone. Other than that it just felt so dated, the camera was utterly rubbish, no front facing camera, Facebook and Twitter apps were hopeless. No Instagram or YouTube apps, the apps that I did get like Spotify and Bank of Scotland were full of lag.

The thing BlackBerry should be focusing on is Apps. It was what drew me away. Also if I was to return to BlackBerry it would have to be a QWERTY phone, if I wanted a decent touch phone I would get Android/Apple, QWERTY phones and BBM is Rim's only advantages.

They have a tough time ahead I feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know any tablet does that with ease as well? What you are talking about isnt specific to the playbook lol

Its still a massive failure!

No I'm not saying it's ground breaking I'm saying it works as good as if not better in some ways than the other tablets out there. The way you can flow from app to emails to browser etc is awesome and feels so much more progressive than using home buttons and the like.

A failure would have been off the shelves and out of here ages ago, yet it's still being worked on and improved. Have you used the PB with OS 2.1? It's absolutely amazing and very responsive. OS 10 will hit next year and will bring more functionality and a lot more apps.

A failure it is not.
    Forum Member
    No I'm not saying it's ground breaking I'm saying it works as good as if not better in some ways than the other tablets out there. The way you can flow from app to emails to browser etc is awesome and feels so much more progressive than using home buttons and the like.

A failure would have been off the shelves and out of here ages ago, yet it's still being worked on and improved. Have you used the PB with OS 2.1? It's absolutely amazing and very responsive. OS 10 will hit next year and will bring more functionality and a lot more apps.

A failure it is not.

A failure indeed it is considering shops are practically having to give them away as they cant shift them!

I personally didn't like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A failure it is not.

If that was true then they would have been flying off the shelves. It wasn't a good device, and it was a complete failure in the market which is why they've had to give them away.

Blackberry App World is like an abandoned project, there are hardly any apps at all compared to the Play Store or the App Store, and the small number of apps that are there are laggy or missing key features that other platforms have had for ages. It says something when they are having to use Android apps to fill up the store. The ecosystem is disastrous, and I'm only considering apps here, Google, Apple and Amazon all provide Music, Magazines, Movies and TV Shows services on their devices as well, they have a rich rich ecosystem compared to the flopped Blackberry store.

The experience you described is common place on most tablets, but the Playbook just fails miserably against the Nexus 7/10 and iPad/iPad Mini, because the apps and content available are severely lacking. Blackberry are trying to climb Mount Everest with a toothpick here. These new mobile devices of theirs won't fair any better. It's all happened before with Palm, and it will happen again to RIM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm never sure how people measure failure on this forum. If a product does a good job but they don't like it (play book) it is considered a failure. If it sells loads and get high customer satisfaction but they don't like it (iPhone) it is considered a failure.... Oh, I've spotted a pattern.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm never sure how people measure failure on this forum. If a product does a good job but they don't like it (play book) it is considered a failure. If it sells loads and get high customer satisfaction but they don't like it (iPhone) it is considered a failure.... Oh, I've spotted a pattern.....

iPhone sells. Playbook doesn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think they shouldn't then:confused:

Many dont because they aren't in control of the data. They cant back it up themselves. Apple is terrible for network administration.