Options

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, BBC1 Xmas Day, 6pm.

Comments

• Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I throughly loved this. Best Dr Who as far as I am concerned. I wasn't a fan of David Tennant and much prefer Matt Smith.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It appears to have been the second most watched show of the day, after EastEnders. I guess if it had had a bit more misery, it would have got the top spot!
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved it apart from the dodgy shark...oh and when said dodgy shark was pulling the sleigh....apart from that 9 out of ten...lost a point due to the, can anyone guess lol...:D
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madj40 wrote: »
    loved it apart from the dodgy shark...oh and when said dodgy shark was pulling the sleigh....apart from that 9 out of ten...lost a point due to the, can anyone guess lol...:D

I thought the shark worked quite well, actually-that blue tint to everything made the CGI somehow less jarring than usual.
  • Options
    TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jodo wrote: »
    The sight of a possibly naked Alex Kingston in the trailer made me feel warmer than I have for days for some reason!

I suggest you see the film "Croupier" or ITV's version of "Moll Flanders".

Happy Christmas. ;)
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears to have been the second most watched show of the day, after EastEnders. I guess if it had had a bit more misery, it would have got the top spot!

Ratings have nothing whatsover to do with quality.

And how would people know that they didn't rate it highly if they had not watched it?
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Yes, but now you can see that he was just an irritating little gimp.

The actor who played Adric was one of my father's patients for a while around the time he got the part. I think he was more than a bit self-important off-screen as well as on. Still, at least he made Tegan slightly less annoying by comparison. I'm just sorry for Sarah Sutton for having to share her companion-ing with those two. (Wasn't there also an annoying red-headed "schoolboy" in the Tardis around then as well?)

I thought this year's Xmas special was pretty good. It looked great, was smart and funny, and we had a familiar christmassy storyline with a nice Dr Who slant on it - what more could anyone ask for at Christmas? I thought KJ was fine in her role (even though I'm not a particular fan of her singing or of some of her recent song choices, I do at least acknowledge that she certainly can sing!) and there was just enough of a "scientific" reason in the story why singing could calm the weather and the fogfish for Steven Moffat to get away with it.

Steven Moffat's writing is definitely aimed at a slightly older audience than RTD's (even more so since RTD took the helm of the Sarah Jane Adventures) and you do have to pay more attention than you did with some of RTD's eps (which is probably why so many of the maroons who comment on eps while they're being shown don't like them!) but the rewards are usually worth the little extra "effort".

Oh, and the person who posted that they didn't like the direction the next series is taking, based on the trailer at the end of last night's ep, THANK YOU! I haven't had such a good laugh in ages! (He was joking, wasn't he? :eek: )
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    TimA-C wrote: »
    The actor who played Adric was one of my father's patients for a while around the time he got the part. I think he was more than a bit self-important off-screen as well as on. Still, at least he made Tegan slightly less annoying by comparison. I'm just sorry for Sarah Sutton for having to share her companion-ing with those two. (Wasn't there also an annoying red-headed "schoolboy" in the Tardis around then as well?)

Turlough, 15 going on 40. :D

Poor Peter Davison. He was well and truly lumbered with Tegan, Nyssa, Adric and Turlough.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Poor Peter Davison. He was well and truly lumbered with Tegan, Nyssa, Adric and Turlough.

True. Nyssa and Adric alone might have been good, as opposites if nothing else. Tegan was way too much and I was never quite sure about Turlough. Such a shame as I love the Fifth Doctor, just felt sorry for him!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACC was yet another example of how Doctor Who can use time travel to not just get to places, but what to do with it once you get there.
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member

Thank you. Turlough. Wasn't he an agent of the black guardian (or someone) recruited from the school that the Brigadier was teaching at after retiring from U.N.I.T.? I guess the black guardian would probably get put on at least one register if he tried that sort of thing now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimA-C wrote: »
    Thank you. Turlough. Wasn't he an agent of the black guardian (or someone) recruited from the school that the Brigadier was teaching at after retiring from U.N.I.T.? I guess the black guardian would probably get put on at least one register if he tried that sort of thing now!

He was an agent of the Black Guadian indeed. But only for about three stories.
  • Options
    jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I suggest you see the film "Croupier" or ITV's version of "Moll Flanders".

Happy Christmas. ;)

Had a crush on her since Moll Flanders tbh.

Thanks for the "Croupier" heads up though.

Time to vist play.com methinks! :D

Happy Christmas indeed!
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    union_jak wrote: »

Also, how come the shark with the sonic screwdriver was alive when Gambon's character was a boy, and still alive when he was an old man?

I know, I mean, flying ok, but living for a few decades, completely out there, man!!!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    soonah98 wrote: »
    really loved the episode. Thought in the first five minutes that it might be a flop but I was delighted how it kept drawing me in. It never had that sort of lull when you realise what the story is and how it needs to end - and thus leaves you just waiting for the end. This seemed to grow and grow as it progressed.

I think Moffat is definitely writing for the adults - not much in the monster department but stacks and stacks of human storty.

I agree with you here. When I read the synopsis I was doubtful- it sounded a bit dull, and I found myself wondering whether Moffat, who's writing I've always preferred for the reasons you stated (more depth, less predictability, more layers, more maturity, more human story, and the psychological aspect to the fear) would let me down.

I was proved very wrong. It was far better than I'd expected on all sorts of levels.

I do have one minor complaint in that Abigail's perspective felt a big ignored- once Kazran had agreed to release Abigail the general consensus was that it would all be OK. This was her last day alive, remember, and it all felt a bit contrived that she played her part as calmly, efficiently and happily as she did, not once feeling anything not entirely joyful or doing anything inconvenient.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was like a jar of treacle mixed with the slush from outside snow deposits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its very odd, I have read so many posts from people on here who say that they found the first quarter of the special a complete turn off, but for me it was what drew me in completely, very funny intro "come along Pond!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I loved this episode, probably my favourite xmas special so far. I thought Moffat had written a wonderful christmassy yarn and I was swept along in the story. It was beautifully acted by Matt Smith, Michael Gambon and also Katherine Jenkins who I was very impressed by. I found it genuinely moving but laugh out loud funny a few seconds later. Yes, Jenkins singing was a predictable outcome but I was enjoying the story so much I didn't care.

I liked that this year it was a slightly more old fashioned, christmas story - the world wasn't about to end this time. However although all the adults in my family really enjoyed it, my two young cousins who generally love Doctor Who were a bit bored and didn't really understand what was going on. Moffat's writing is definitely a lot more adult which is great for us but I do hope he remembers to throw in enough action and adventure in the series for the kids....I have no doubt he will though and I can't wait to see Series 6!
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Its very odd, I have read so many posts from people on here who say that they found the first quarter of the special a complete turn off, but for me it was what drew me in completely, very funny intro "come along Pond!"

Even that didn't make sense. Come along where? "Hold on Pond I'm going to rescue you but only after I've been back and forth in time enough times to fill up an hour's worth of TV in the hope of getting some old geezer to mellow and let your ship land, rather than do the obvious thing and go back in time just once to prevent you getting on the Space Liner in the first place" would have been a more apt thing for him to say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Lime Kiln wrote: »
    It is a childrens programme. You are an adult and you watch it so did I but I didn't forget that it was made for children.:)

Bit late coming in here, but if it was made solely for children it would be on CBBC, like the Sarah Jane Adventures is. 'Family Programme' means 'suitable for all ages' or 'suitable for both adults and children', which basically means that the show is designed to appeal to a wide age range.

This can be hard to pull off, as it means the boundaries you have to write within are narrower, you can't put in anything explicit or overly complicated because of the kids, but neither can you be too simplistic and fluffy because of the adults. I'd say both Davies and Moffat do quite well, although Davies skewed more towards the kids and Moffat skews more towards the adults.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even that didn't make sense. Come along where? "Hold on Pond I'm going to rescue you but only after I've been back and forth in time enough times to fill up an hour's worth of TV in the hope of getting some old geezer to mellow and let your ship land, rather than do the obvious thing and go back in time just once to prevent you getting on the Space Liner in the first place" would have been a more apt thing for him to say.

The Doctor makes sense?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I enterpret that as code, eg Its the doctor, I'm working on it, you know a friendly jokey comment to instil confidence!

Since when has Doctor Who, like all sci fi, actually made sense, its make believe and uses mostly made up physics. At the end of the day, time travel makes no sense does it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't cross his own timeline remember? Also that wouldn't save the other 4,001 passengers. And come along pond was, basically, a visual guide as the ship couldn't tell up from down at that point.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Since when has Doctor Who, like all sci fi, actually made sense, its make believe and uses mostly made up physics. At the end of the day, time travel makes no sense does it!

Of course it doesn't - but saying 'It doesn't make sense and never has to' is also a great excuse to cover lazy writing. However 'sci-fi' DW may be, it still needs to have a coherent narrative logic the average viewer can understand. And that wasn't present in abundance in A Christmas Carol.

Of course, it looked great. Hardly surprising when you consider the amount of money that is being poured into the bottomless pit that is SM's DW. :rolleyes: And it had some moments that could and should have been moving.

But, when the story-telling is full of holes, it rather undermines the episode's potential.

Such a shame as Matt Smith is so good. :(

But each to their own ... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not my cup of tea I'm afraid, I like my Scrooge's unrepentent and cold. Had to run for cover when the singing started! Anyway best bit was the trailer for series 6, there seems to be a bit of a hat fetish going on, can't get anything past me.