Options

Why wont some shops go bust

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Not so long a go HMV, Game and such went into administration however they were rescued and now operating again why cant they lets these businesses go and let them go bust since its a dying business anyway
no one buys physical media these days anyway

also other stores should go bust

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Obviously some people do still buy physical media these days. Or they wouldn't be back in business...

Do you actually WANT these businesses to fail?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, must be good for the economy if other stores go bust. Do you have any ones in mind?

It's the administrators's job to get maximum return from the assets of the business they are charged with running, so if they can get someone else to run it, then that is good for everyone. If it just goes bust, then the suppliers lose out (and staff too) and they also may be vulnerable to failing.

You do realise that LP sales are now increasing?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    What IS your problem with shops?

You have another thread titled

'What is the justification to open new shops'

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=70922998&postcount=1
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Do you actually WANT these businesses to fail?

Yes, OP seems to take quite a lot of pleasure when business fail for some reason...

Barratts Shoes
    and Tie Rack.

A slightly weird preoccupation, but there we go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe those shops that are still open have better management and models than others.

Edit: as for physical media, there probably will always be a need for it if anything goes wrong with the tech.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    They won't go bust if they are still making a profit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Yes, OP seems to take quite a lot of pleasure when business fail for some reason...

Barratts Shoes
    and Tie Rack.

A slightly weird preoccupation, but there we go.

Weird is putting it lightly. :o

Maybe they have been turned down for jobs in all these retailers and it's a case of sour grapes. :D

I for one hope there's an abundance of new shops. Shops, shops for everyone! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Weird is putting it lightly. :o

Maybe they have been turned down for jobs in all these retailers and it's a case of sour grapes. :D

I for one hope there's an abundance of new shops. Shops, shops for everyone! :cool:

What about shops for those who want shops?

Or shop shop shops for those who want to sell shops that sell shops? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just shops, he's also obsessed about death
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not just shops, he's also obsessed about death

More funeral director shops!!!! :D
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hold your breath for any of the major supermarkets to go boobs up.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I'm sure their employees would love to be on the dole...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I want the HMV near me to go bust but only because the staff are rude and the prices make me start to feel sick.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    While I don't want any shop to go under and for staff to loose their jobs, shops like Game and HMV etc are holding back development of digital downloads to some extent. The reason often cited by Sony, MS etc for digital download prices being so high is they don't want to annoy the very shops that sell their hardware, so won't directly compete with them.

But its coming and I can see in the next five years or so high street media sellers, be that games, films or music will be gone, blockbuster has, Game and HMV are basically taking their last breaths as retailers as we know them. So it will be Supermarkets, Online like Amazon or digital. Hopefully going digital will force "data caps" to be abolished, and the country as a whole getting better internet speeds.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly intelligent thread, OP. Well done.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want the HMV near me to go bust but only because the staff are rude and the prices make me start to feel sick.

I know this is a totally radical suggestion, but have you tried not going in there? It might help with your rage.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Not so long a go HMV, Game and such went into administration however they were rescued and now operating again why cant they lets these businesses go and let them go bust since its a dying business anyway

also other stores should go bust

Well that's just not true. It was only this morning that I picked up the Porridge box set from my local HMV.

As has been pointed out, somebody obviously is or these businesses would be bust already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I know this is a totally radical suggestion, but have you tried not going in there? It might help with your rage.

I only go in there to look and then if I see something I like I go and order it online because its cheaper.
  • Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I don't want any shop to go under and for staff to loose their jobs, shops like Game and HMV etc are holding back development of digital downloads to some extent. The reason often cited by Sony, MS etc for digital download prices being so high is they don't want to annoy the very shops that sell their hardware, so won't directly compete with them.

But its coming and I can see in the next five years or so high street media sellers, be that games, films or music will be gone, blockbuster has, Game and HMV are basically taking their last breaths as retailers as we know them. So it will be Supermarkets, Online like Amazon or digital. Hopefully going digital will force "data caps" to be abolished, and the country as a whole getting better internet speeds.

i agree what u say HHV/GAME are so expensive why so high prices they are just on their last legs blockbusters is gone so why cant these shops go as well its just poor business sense
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Bad staff due to bad management

Not keeping up with the times
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I don't find the staff to bad in either, but my local HMV, last time I went in looked like it had been robbed, there was DVD's, Blu Rays all over the place, including stacked up on the floor, and the charts were a mess.

Most people tell us how great these shops are in one breath, but in the next tell us they got 2 blu rays for £10 etc, ie do they ever buy things full price in there or just on the sales.

Digital is the way forward, more stock can be carried, instant reviews, instant sales, better streamlined pricing across the board.

In my local town, the HMV closed, the Game closed, so the only place to buy titles is the Supermarket, I use this for films, if I'm shopping and fancy a movie for the night, but generally my films come from Amazon, music from iTunes and games from PS store. And to be honest I've not really missed either shop.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree what u say HHV/GAME are so expensive why so high prices they are just on their last legs blockbusters is gone so why cant these shops go as well its just poor business sense

I suppose you'd be happy if every high street retailer went bust:o:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Bet the OP wouldn't feel the same way if he was one of those shop workers who was being told that he/she could be out of a job or had to tell his/her staff that they could all be out of a job.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes they do. I buy a metric ****ton of the stuff.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am stunned WH Smith is not only still going, but doing very well. It's a dated, dark, musty, untidy, cramped little hell hole - at least all of the ones I've been in are. It's clear they only rake in so much cash because of their captive markets in airports.

How WH Smith continues to survive when we've lost far superior stores really bewilders me.