Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, but people can grasp the GOTG idea from the trailers- Dirty Dozen-ish bunch
    of anti-heroes have humour-tinged space adventure. Whereas someone who'd never
    heard of John Carter would have no idea what was going on from
    the trailers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcV7aXL8txU
    (Wait, it's
    like Sherlock Holmes! No, Deadwood! No, Game of Thrones! Now it's Avatar!
    WTF is going on?)

With the GOTG trailer there's no such confusion, you know what you're getting: Farscape
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a feeling it might be a surprise hit and that's purely based on what Marvel have pulled off before.

Iron Man - Who knew him outside of comic-book fans?

Thor - A norse god as a comic book superhero? Yeah, like that's gonna fly with the casual audience.

Captain America - Outdated WW2 propaganda character than anyone outside the USA is bound to hate.

Avengers - Far too many leading actors vying for the starring role in one film for it to be anything other than a total mess.

Yet they managed to pull them all off, despite how much they could easily have been massive flops. So I have high hopes for Guardians.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a comic book film as sophisticated as Days of Future Past can we really go back to a formulaic Marvel slapstick comedy with a talking raccoon to boot?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    After a comic book film as sophisticated as Days of Future Past can we really go back to a formulaic Marvel slapstick comedy with a talking raccoon to boot?

I wonder if we'll get to see an extended shot of Starlord's butt cheeks.

Sophisticated.

Give me Iron Man and The Avengers over any of the X-men films to date.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I've been looking forward to GOTG more than any other film this year but I'm properly the only one thinking that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Watched it in 3D IMAX today.

Brilliant!
  • Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it today. Was very funny and action packed. Chris Pratt was hilarious. Bradley Cooper stole the show with his voice of the racoon. Vin Diesel only says one line in the whole film in different tones. Would have liked to hear more lines from him as he has a good unique voice.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back. Loved it.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the credits.... Best. Cameo. Ever.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I just got back and for once left cinema impressed with a Marvel movie.

Great characters all round and great performances from every, Bradley Cooper suited the part to a tee.

I thought Karen Gillian was great and hopefully it will land her future roles.

Overall I thought it was a much better movie than the Avengers series and there seemed to be a better chemistry between the actors. It does make you wonder if egos are getting in the way of the Avengers franchise.

As for the over all story leading to Avengers 3
    I guess the story is leading to Thanos and Infinity Gauntlet.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is absolutely no way this will be a flop, one word to describe it; awesome.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howard the duck? Is his film set I'm the avenger-verse, or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howard the duck? Is his film set I'm the avenger-verse, or not?
    Yes it is, so now Howard the Duck is canon in the MCU
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shak2005 wrote: »
    Watched it today. Was very funny and action packed. Chris Pratt was hilarious. Bradley Cooper stole the show with his voice of the racoon. Vin Diesel only says one line in the whole film in different tones. Would have liked to hear more lines from him as he has a good unique voice.

That's Groot's whole shtick though. It's not what he says, but the way he says it. In his language, the tone matters more than the content. So if he said "Hello, how are you? I am very sad myself, but I hope things improve later today." it'd just come out as "I am Groot? I... am... Groot. I am Groot!" to humanoid ears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I've got a feeling it might be a surprise hit and that's purely based on what Marvel have pulled off before.

Iron Man - Who knew him outside of comic-book fans?

Thor - A norse god as a comic book superhero? Yeah, like that's gonna fly with the casual audience.

Captain America - Outdated WW2 propaganda character than anyone outside the USA is bound to hate.

Avengers - Far too many leading actors vying for the starring role in one film for it to be anything other than a total mess.

Yet they managed to pull them all off, despite how much they could easily have been massive flops. So I have high hopes for Guardians.

I knew who Iron Man was despite me not reading the comics. I used to watch the 90s cartoon back when I was a kid!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it in 3D. Best 'Superhero' movie I've seen.

It gets the right balance between the serious and the humorous. The casting really works as well. Zoe Saldana really is the go to Sci-Fi Action heroine.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I watched it in 3D. Best 'Superhero' movie I've seen.

It gets the right balance between the serious and the humorous. The casting really works as well. Zoe Saldana really is the go to Sci-Fi Action heroine.

That's my only gripe with it really. The 3D was clearly an afterthought and as a result certain objects were blurry. I'd recommend watching it in 2D for those who haven't seen it yet.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad I watched it in 2D as it seems the 3D was a totally waste of time.Its a great film anyway and one of the best Marvel films yet!

I just can't wait for the sequel now and hopefully we get to meet Peter Quill dad J-Son who I'm thinking Nathan Fillion would be great playing him!
    Forum Member
    I watched it in 3D IMAX and thought that the IMAX was totally worth it. It was some of the 3D bits that I wasn't too keen on but that's how they've made the movie.

I read a review from someone who watched the movie in 3D IMAX first.. He then watched it again in regular 3D instead of IMAX and he said he felt the lack in 3D when compared to 3D IMAX.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I went to see this last night and when I got to the counter I was informed that the projector had broken so I couldn't watch it. So I went to see Mrs Browns Boys instead. I was fuming.

There was about 15 people in there and it started 20 mins after GotG. Could they not have switched projectors or switched reels so that the droves of disappointed people outside the cinema could get to see one of the biggest films of the summer on its opening night instead of the handful of people who wanted to watch the shite that was MBB a couple of weeks after it's release.

(I have a lot of previous issues with this cinema so this incident in particular has rightly pee-ed me off)

So I'll try and go see it tonight (in a different cinema).
    Forum Member
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Could they not have switched projectors or switched reels...
    I very much doubt cinemas can act this way. Contractual obligations and whatnot.

Must've been a real pisser though.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I very much doubt cinemas can act this way. Contractual obligations and whatnot.

Must've been a real pisser though.

I was thinking it wasn't going to be as easy as I made it out. We'll they pissed off a lot of people.

Couldn't make it out to the cinema tonight. I'll get there over the weekend.

Damn film better be worth it.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're now estimating that GOTG may make $90 million by the end of this weekend - in the US alone. That's pretty damn amazing for a film that some thought had no chance of becoming a hit.

LINK
  • ccosmicloveccosmiclove Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't care much of this movie, I'm a fan of Marvel but this was just like 'eh, really?' although I was surprised at the trailer, It was more humorous than I imagined.

The overwhelming positive response and critic reviews have made me want to go see it now to be honest.