More than 10,000 Britons claiming £23,318 dole in Germany

2»

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading more into this.

For people who have not worked 12 months in Germany, so those not entitled to the full amount, the state will pay €400 a month but will pressure you into work or training. It doesn't sound exactly glamorous, does it? About £80 a week!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I suggest you ask the Turks how 'chilled' immigration is in Germany. I'm sure they'll tell you.

Germans can be very cold towards foreigners, especially those who don't speak German well.

The fact they call them 'Gastarbeiter' (guest workers) should tell you something.

The British dont have a great record of 'learning the lingo' when leaving our shores.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The British dont have a great record of 'learning the lingo' when leaving our shores.

Well for what it's worth, I do.

I remember being attacked by a Turk when I lived in Germany. The responses from the Germans who helped me were interesting, to say the least. They really didn't like the Turks at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    It's dwarfed by the 600,000 EU citizens claiming benefits in the UK.
    The DWP estimated that in 2013 397,000 non-UK residents claimed at least one working age benefit.
    Not EU migrants, total migrants.
    Also for 2013, 16.4% of UK nationals of working age were claiiming one or more benefit, while 6.7% of non-UK migrants were also doing so. Again - total migrants, not EU migrants.

A considerable number of those claimants were be claiming in-work benefits. That's a problem caused by low wages, not migration - if the jobs were taken by Brits they'd also be claiming the same benefit and there would be no saving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for what it's worth, I do.

I remember being attacked by a Turk when I lived in Germany. The responses from the Germans who helped me were interesting, to say the least. They really didn't like the Turks at all.

Germans dont like the Turks.

The English dont like the French.

Iranians & Iraqis dont like each other

Australians dont like anybody....

I imagine if you ask one nation of people about a another nation of people who they have a historical dislike of, you'll get 'interesting responses to say the least'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A considerable number of those claimants were be claiming in-work benefits. That's a problem caused by low wages, not migration - if the jobs were taken by Brits they'd also be claiming the same benefit and there woould be no saving.

Technically there would be - if these people were in work, even with in-work benefits, they would not be on JSA and the other unemployment benefits. With all the immigrants, it's paying twice for people that we really have no need for. Pay our own people a decent wage. Let these Eastern Europeans go somewhere else.

Romania and Bulgaria should never have been let in the EU until they were ready to join, never mind all this 'free movement' business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically there would be - if these people were in work, even with in-work benefits, they would not be on JSA and the other unemployment benefits. With all the immigrants, it's paying twice for people that we really have no need for. Pay our own people a decent wage. Let these Eastern Europeans go somewhere else.

Romania and Bulgaria should never have been let in the EU until they were ready to join, never mind all this 'free movement' business.

In the last year or so, I've yet to come across a Romanian or Bulgarian doctor or nurse, or solicitor, or accountant or engineer etc etc. You know, high earning, high tax paying folk

Seen plenty of those from non-EU immigration...which has been slashed year on year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I imagine if you ask one nation of people about a another nation of people who they have a historical dislike of, you'll get 'interesting responses to say the least'

You try to rubbish the point. If I wrote here what I heard during my time in Germany, I'd be banned. There are many countries in Europe that are openly racist - I wonder how you'll brush that one off?

You are seriously misguided if you think the 'banter' between the English and French is anything like the situation in Europe with their immigrants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry - to clarify, I meant there would be no saving to those benefits. You're right about a saving on other benefits of course.
    However (there had to be one of those) the decent wage question is something different, and even more difficult to solve. If migrants went home, wages wouldn't increase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You try to rubbish the point. If I wrote here what I heard during my time in Germany, I'd be banned. There are many countries in Europe that are openly racist - I wonder how you'll brush that one off?.

It's no worse than what I hear week in week out at football grounds, both home & away...in England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the last year or so, I've yet to come across a Romanian or Bulgarian doctor or nurse, or solicitor, or accountant or engineer etc etc. You know, high earning, high tax paying folk

Seen plenty of those from non-EU immigration...which has been slashed year on year

And your point is what?

I think it is shocking the people from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA etc with the skills we need, face nothing but hurdles to work and stay here, paying more than enough in tax, yet van loads of Poles, Romanians etc can just come in, unchecked, speaking no English, yet they have an automatic right to be here.

It's screwed up, the whole system is just screwed.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't know how to do it having lived here since March.

I don't know how to play the system though. But I do know that the German social is lax once you're in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And your point is what?

I think it is shocking the people from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA etc with the skills we need, face nothing but hurdles to work and stay here...

;-) Very clever....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't know how to do it having lived here since March.

I don't know how to play the system though. But I do know that the German social is lax once you're in it.

Perhaps give it a go on Monday and report back to us if it's as easy as was made out?!? ;-)

German bureaucracy has to be seen to be believed. I wonder what strange opening hours and days the 'Arbeitsamt' actually keep?
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am outraged Australians like other Australians mostly