Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 20)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,835
Administrator
vidalia wrote: »
Murray's win was summed up for me by Winston Churchill's quote "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1732359

Comments

• Options
      CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      Gosh, part 19 went quickly.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      The European (WTA) indoor season has been squashed to within a fraction of its life. Just Linz, Moscow and Luxembourg now, There used to be Zurich, Filderstadt, and there were a few others that have disappeared too ... Philadelphia being one.

Don't forget Brighton! I spent many happy hours down there. It was like an indoor Eastbourne as it had the same promoter.
    • Options
      Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      CLL Dodge wrote: »
      Don't forget Brighton! I spent many happy hours down there. It was like an indoor Eastbourne as it had the same promoter.

And Beckenham, and Bournemouth.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      k9fan wrote: »

2 of my favourite tournaments but not part of the WTA autumn tour, which are on indoor courts.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Whoo Hoo. That must be the quickest time a thread section has filled up. It's the Andy effect. :)

Did I dream it or are the ATP looking at changing the Calendar in the not too distant future? There was talk of more time between Roland Garros and Wimbledon. Something that couldn't come quickly enough IMO. I so wish there was a grass Masters too. It seems ridiculous that the surface the game was invented on is now such a short, truncated few tournaments. Queens would make an ideal Masters. Not so sure about Halle.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      tally wrote: »
      Whoo Hoo. That must be the quickest time a thread section has filled up. It's the Andy effect. :)

Did I dream it or are the ATP looking at changing the Calendar in the not too distant future? There was talk of more time between Roland Garros and Wimbledon. Something that couldn't come quickly enough IMO. I so wish there was a grass Masters too. It seems ridiculous that the surface the game was invented on is now such a short, truncated few tournaments. Queens would make an ideal Masters. Not so sure about Halle.

Yes, 3 weeks between RG & Wimbledon will happen in 2015.

Not sure where the extra grasscourt event(s) will be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18913701
    • Options
      Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,886
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭

:eek: You're right, I should not have forgotten Brighton.

Like you, I also spent many happy hours down there. My particular favourite match was the 1985 final when Chrissie beat Mauela Maleeva. :cool: I enjoyed that match. :)
    • Options
      LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
      Forum Member
      Wow a new thread already - it's Andy's fault! :D
    • Options
      Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      2 of my favourite tournaments but not part of the WTA autumn tour, which are on indoor courts.

That's true.:)
      I remember seeing Bjorn Borg at Beckenham, the first time he came to England, I think.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      That's true.:)
      I remember seeing Bjorn Borg at Beckenham, the first time he came to England, I think.

I first went in 1976. Tanner beat Connors in the final. Connors would triumph 2 years later against Stan Smith.

Other greats too: Billie Jean King, Pat Cash, Evonne Goolagong.
    • Options
      Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
      Forum Member
      part 20 already, that's quick

anyone would think we had lots to talk about recently :)
    • Options
      benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Juan Carlos Ferrero to retire after Valencia next month. I had forgotton he was No 1.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I don't know if this has been asked, thread 19 went by pretty quick, but now Murray has that slam win, who is the greatest player never to win a slam? Or does it really not matter anymore as that was a title reserved for Andy by the British Media ;)

I thought maybe Berdych if he wasn't so mentally weak... but no other players have lost 4 finals...
    • Options
      CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
      Forum Member
      abby103 wrote: »
      I don't know if this has been asked, thread 19 went by pretty quick, but now Murray has that slam win, who is the greatest player never to win a slam? Or does it really not matter anymore as that was a title reserved for Andy by the British Media ;)

I thought maybe Berdych if he wasn't so mentally weak... but no other players have lost 4 finals...

Tim Henman?

I'm joking btw, I've no idea. Well Berdych isn't even the best player on the current tour to never win one so...
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      My suggestion would be S America Marcelo Rios. No 1 junior and No 1 senior. Tho he was not no 1 for long.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Quick question. Who would ye guys have as the current world number 5 (in ye're opinion)? The top 4 are in a league of their own but who would ye consider the next best? Between Tsonga, Delpo, Ferrer and Berdych. Not much between any. Just a real shame none of these generally meet in slams. I feel they'd be very intriguing matches. I'd vote Ferrer myself but just

For the record (in official world ranking order):

Ferrer (5): 4 grand slam semis ( 2 semis in 2012)
      Berdych (6): 3 slam semis, 1 final (1 semi in 2012)
      Tsonga (7): 3 slam semis, 1 final (1 semi 2012)
      Del Potro (8): 2 slam semis, 1 final, 1 Grand Slam (no semi 2012)
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      Rios is the only former No.1 (male) never to win a slam.

I think that makes him the worst player ever to be ranked No.1 rather than the best player never to win a slam.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      In answer to yourr original question I think Soderling was one of the most gifted and talented players never to make it.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      CGG_12 wrote: »
      Quick question. Who would ye guys have as the current world number 5 (in ye're opinion)? The top 4 are in a league of their own but who would ye consider the next best? Between Tsonga, Delpo, Ferrer and Berdych. Not much between any. Just a real shame none of these generally meet in slams. I feel they'd be very intriguing matches. I'd vote Ferrer myself but just

That looks about right to me.:)
    • Options
      Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Justine Henin is pregnant :)
    • Options
      Forum Member
      benjamini wrote: »
      That looks about right to me.:)

my own opinion is that Ferrer is the most consistent really. On their day each one is brilliant I'd prob go Ferrer- Tsonga- Berdych- Delpo with nothing separating!
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Rios is the only former No.1 (male) never to win a slam.

I think that makes him the worst player ever to be ranked No.1 rather than the best player never to win a slam.

I agree it was a time where mens tennis was underwhealming.:D A bit like the last few years iin womens tennis with no1s who dont win GS.
    • Options
      Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,886
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      Justine Henin is pregnant :)

Nice news ... :)

Where's Sarn? I have not seen her around lately. She'll be happy. :)
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

I loved it at Bournemouth used to go all the time when I was younger, Thomas Enqvist was my favourite player at that time and Mantilla
    • Options
      alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      CGG_12 wrote: »

Ferrer really is this era's version of tim henman, can make it to the semis but can't seem to make it any further.
    This discussion has been closed.