Options

Baby Gifts

lilsamcharliebolilsamcharliebo Posts: 126
Forum Member
Hi All,

Just after some baby knowledge as I have little (or none!). One of my best friends is due to have a baby girl in May and I am trying to pull together a little hamper full of gifts for her little one.

Is there anything that new mothers/babies really need that noone else thinks of getting or just something that there can never be enough of?

I've got quite a few clothes and random bits of things but thought I would pick everyones brains to see if there was something I could add to the collection. Nothing too expensive as I've already bought quite a bit but I am open to suggestions! This is the first one of my friends to have a baby so its all new and exciting (and slightly terrifying!) New mummy loves Winnie the Pooh but hates pink to give a vague idea of her tastes!

Any help welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Just after some baby knowledge as I have little (or none!). One of my best friends is due to have a baby girl in May and I am trying to pull together a little hamper full of gifts for her little one.

Is there anything that new mothers/babies really need that noone else thinks of getting or just something that there can never be enough of?

I've got quite a few clothes and random bits of things but thought I would pick everyones brains to see if there was something I could add to the collection. Nothing too expensive as I've already bought quite a bit but I am open to suggestions! This is the first one of my friends to have a baby so its all new and exciting (and slightly terrifying!) New mummy loves Winnie the Pooh but hates pink to give a vague idea of her tastes!

Any help welcome :)

Tbh, most new mothers end up with tons of stuff, particularly heaps of new clothes that never get worn, as baby grows out them so quick! I've found most of my friends who've had babies in the last 4-5 years have bags of baby grows, clothes etc still with the tags on! Which inevitably gets passed onto a work friend etc...

If I was you, and having done this and had it appreciated by my friends.. Is get a present for mummy, after all, they're doing all the hard work, a little treat for them is a nice gesture!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not got a lot of experience myself, but I've given a few baby gifts in the past little while. Like the above post says, clothes will be given so if you see anything else it might be worth getting a couple of sizes up - like a 6-9 months instead of a 3-6 because they'll have a lot less of those and need them when baby grows!

But if she's a fan of Winnie the pooh, then it's maybe worth having a nosey on etsy because you get some really sweet things that can be personalised! Just had a quick look myself and thought these were cute...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/213561007/winnie-the-pooh-baby-on-board-vinyl?ref=cat_gallery_27&ga_search_query=winnie+the+pooh+sticker+&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_search_type=all

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/158483233/nursery-wall-art-decoration-winnie-the?ref=cat_gallery_5&ga_ref=auto-1&ga_search_query=winnie+the+pooh&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_search_type=all
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslin squares, useful for everything from protecting yourself from baby puke, cleaning up said mess, to use as a lightweight cover, covering pram during sleep etc etc.
    Did a baby basket for my best mate recently, she'd never heard if them but has bought more now. Also finds the bath toy thermometer useful - only cost a couple of quid. Added some pregnancy smellies, rennies and a what to do with a newborn book
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With ours, we forever seemed to be buying nappies and wipes! We gratefully hoovered up any unused packs from friends whose babies had grown out of that particular size! Not very exciting I know.

We also used a lot of muslin squares and found them very versatile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I did one full of baby bath stuff, talc, shampoo and wipes. I also put in baby nail clippers which my friend liked as she hadn't even thought of those.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    Tbh, most new mothers end up with tons of stuff, particularly heaps of new clothes that never get worn, as baby grows out them so quick! I've found most of my friends who've had babies in the last 4-5 years have bags of baby grows, clothes etc still with the tags on! Which inevitably gets passed onto a work friend etc...

If I was you, and having done this and had it appreciated by my friends.. Is get a present for mummy, after all, they're doing all the hard work, a little treat for them is a nice gesture!
    There's a Dad in there too hopefully!
    So, that's a Spa day and an electric screwdriver :D

I'll be serious as I have my first grandchild of 7 months.
    Rae_Roo has a point.
    Babies grow out of clothes rapidly so a plethora of new born stuff will be impractical in months.
    Buy some "supplies" that are always needed.
    As a "practical" grandad I'd buy something 3-6 months ahead.
    We just bought a playmat to let ours have a good roll around.
    But anything you gift will receive an "Aww!" :)
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rae_Roo has a point.
    Babies grow out of clothes rapidly so a plethora of new born stuff will be impractical in months.

Very true! And get you daddy point ;-)

But let's be honest it's poor mum that takes the wear and tear :o

I've usually given a few wee baby gifts, but always got a little something for my friend, such as a lovely bath jelly for a relax, or a pal of mine who missed her g&t a fabby gin mixer set, I know... Terrible! Haha, but when she sent me a pic of her gin cocktail in a glass with a cheesy grin... And a THANNNNK YOOOU! I knew I'd hit the nail on the head!

It's all about the type of person they are, you know your friend and the pool of people around them, whether they need all the baby guff.. or if they could get a little gift for themselves... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rae_Roo wrote: »

That's a good idea, I will have a think about what I can get as a little treat for her, it'll be a stressful year for her as they only got married in September, they move house I'm February and baby comes in May so think she may deserve a treat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not got a lot of experience myself, but I've given a few baby gifts in the past little while. Like the above post says, clothes will be given so if you see anything else it might be worth getting a couple of sizes up - like a 6-9 months instead of a 3-6 because they'll have a lot less of those and need them when baby grows!

But if she's a fan of Winnie the pooh, then it's maybe worth having a nosey on etsy because you get some really sweet things that can be personalised! Just had a quick look myself and thought these were cute...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/213561007/winnie-the-pooh-baby-on-board-vinyl?ref=cat_gallery_27&ga_search_query=winnie+the+pooh+sticker+&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_search_type=all

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/158483233/nursery-wall-art-decoration-winnie-the?ref=cat_gallery_5&ga_ref=auto-1&ga_search_query=winnie+the+pooh&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_search_type=all

I had tried to get a variety of sizes as I thought most people will just get the smaller ones, it's good to know I'm along the right lines!

Hadn't thought of Etsy, that picture is gorgeous she'd love that, thank you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vixcamp wrote: »
    I did one full of baby bath stuff, talc, shampoo and wipes. I also put in baby nail clippers which my friend liked as she hadn't even thought of those.

Ooo Baby nail clippers, she probably won't have thought of that, I will get some of them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Windi-0-5-Inches-Ounces/dp/B00AXUGMNQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1419932433&sr=8-5&keywords=Windi

Have heard good things about these helping colic.

How about child safety items? Cupboard locks? Plug covers?

A promise to buy a baby book a month?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Rae_Roo has a point.

Ooo yeh I should forget about dad! I don't know him too well but I am sure I can think of something!

I'm sure she will be grateful for any gift, she already knows that I'm going way over board but apparently it makes her happy that someone else is excited!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seems Muslin squares are a popular response, I'd seem them in shops but wasn't sure what they were (showing my lack of baby knowledge!) so I'll get some of them, thank you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Windi-0-5-Inches-Ounces/dp/B00AXUGMNQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1419932433&sr=8-5&keywords=Windi

Have heard good things about these helping colic.

How about child safety items? Cupboard locks? Plug covers?

A promise to buy a baby book a month?

I'll have a look at them - thanks!

I'll have a look at child safety stuff but I'll have to wait as they move into their first home in February so I'm not sure what they'll need.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I second the muslin squares

they were the best and most used baby gift I got

onesies for the parents and the baby. feeling cosy when you are knackered makes it all a bit better
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A voucher to babysit would be a nice gesture
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my mum had me she fits lots of gifts for me like toys and blankets. One of my relatives gave my mum a gift basket of things she could use such as a nice CD, book, nice creams to use, bath salts etc... My mum said as much as it was lovely to get bits for me it was nice for people to think about her

If you did want to get something for the baby how about a personalised blanket? I got one from ebay for about £13 with the child's name on, a teddy bear and the date of birth. Lovely gift and is a nice keepsake for the future
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought most things for myself and for the first 3 months I didn't have enough of baby vests and baby grows. I bought muslin clothes and burp clothes but never really used them.

I wish I had more matching stuff. People gave me stupid clothing whereby I didn't have tights to match. So I either spent ages shopping for them online or didn't put the outfit on my baby.

I wish I had more socks, the pretty Trumpette kind. I bought lots of Pretty Original shoes but baby only wore them for the first 5 months after that she hated them.

I like soft toys, jellycat Bashful Lamb is beautiful and baby loves that still.

Towels are a good buy. I got an extra two from Mothercare, Loved so much ones, they're so soft and thick compared to Mamas and Papas ones.

Girlies accessories are nice, clips, hairbands are nice. I have loads still with the tags attached and lots of sun hats are always handy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »

This is a lovely idea, and something I may due for future birthdays etc but I've never so much a held a baby before so I'm not sure how mummy would feel about that, although I am sure I'm about to get a crash course I'm babies!

Or I've just thought our other friend is a nursery nurse so I may suggest that we give her a joint babysitting voucher so we can both babysit whilst mum and dad have some them time - thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clothes are always needed as babies grow so quickly during the first year. You have to kit them out from the skin every three months or so. By the time baby is six months the novelty has worn off and so parents need to buy everything new themselves. I would go for baby grows and vests in 6-9 and 9-12 month sizes. Just get plain white as the baby gros are mainly needed for sleeping and the vests need to go under anything.

Most new parents end up with bin liners full of out grown or unused clothing that no one else wants as they get loads when their own baby is born. I think I would go for consumables such as shampoo, nappies, baby oil etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    When my mum had me she fits lots of gifts for me like toys and blankets. One of my relatives gave my mum a gift basket of things she could use such as a nice CD, book, nice creams to use, bath salts etc... My mum said as much as it was lovely to get bits for me it was nice for people to think about her

If you did want to get something for the baby how about a personalised blanket? I got one from ebay for about £13 with the child's name on, a teddy bear and the date of birth. Lovely gift and is a nice keepsake for the future

I have thought about personalised stuff, thinking about a Winnie the Pooh teddy from Disney, just have to wait for the name, have a slight idea of what it might be but my friend could change her mind 5 times before then! Blanket is an idea because thinking about it I still have the one I had as a baby!
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a lovely idea, and something I may due for future birthdays etc but I've never so much a held a baby before so I'm not sure how mummy would feel about that, although I am sure I'm about to get a crash course I'm babies!

Or I've just thought our other friend is a nursery nurse so I may suggest that we give her a joint babysitting voucher so we can both babysit whilst mum and dad have some them time - thanks for the idea!

Now thats a good idea . Your friend can watch baba and you could do some ironing or whatever she needed . My one bit of advice when my daughter had her litttle girl was " take whats offered , people want to help "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now thats a good idea . Your friend can watch baba and you could do some ironing or whatever she needed . My one bit of advice when my daughter had her litttle girl was " take whats offered , people want to help "

Ooo yes I could do the ironing and any other bits - brilliant idea, I've housesat and cats at before for her and cleaned the house top to bottom and know she appreciated it - even of it won't last long!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslin squares are really good, they sell them in supermarkets with the clothing! I found them good for the pram and Moses basket to safe the sheet from puke lol!!
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That sounds like a crap 'straight from mumsnet' idea! Lol. Why do people suggest crap like this?! :D