The All Purpose Rugby Union Thread (P2)

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As if the monumental effort on the pitch wasn't enough, Joe Schmidt must have been going through some amount of pain given he had an appendectomy post match.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of the country still is in the UK though.

That said, it's a shame and disgrace that we'll probably never hear Amhrán na bhFiann at a Rugby world cup. All Ireland team and All Ireland anthem fair enough but Ireland's Call isn't my national anthem.
    Ah yeah totally agree - absolutely nothing like Amhrán na bhFiann in full flow... I know northern Unionists would argue against the playing of the Irish national anthem at the WC but only having Ireland's call in some way quieten the Irish crowd - the two should be played for every match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As if the monumental effort on the pitch wasn't enough, Joe Schmidt must have been going through some amount of pain given he had an appendectomy post match.
    He said during the post match RTÉ interview yesterday - "I just gotta survive tonight" .. I though they were going out on the town but christ who would have thought he was going to hospital :( ... hope he gets well soon.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    He said during the post match RTÉ interview yesterday - "I just gotta survive tonight" .. I though they were going out on the town but christ who would have thought he was going to hospital :( ... hope he gets well soon.

Seems to be making a good recovery. Appendicitis is a bitch of a pain though, I definitely don't know how he dealt with that during the match.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    We are a separate independent country. I would be more insulted if they were reporting on us as if we were a mere region of the UK, like Wales and Scotland.

Yes, but the Irish team is the national rugby team of Northern Ireland, so to ignore that result was quite bizarre. The BBC to their credit led with the Ireland game, ahead of the other three matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »

That's typical of the man though. He is quiet and understated and not at all a show off or an attention seeker. I'm delighted he appears to be making a speedy recovery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    And did you catch what O'Connell said after the match. Something about "unfortunately now we go back to our provinces..." I'm sure he didn't mean it quite like it sounds, but it does show how inspired they seem to be with Schmidt's leadership. He gets 23 guys to play a tactical game every match and leave nothing on pitch. It's an interesting time for Irish rugby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SeloShop wrote: »
    And did you catch what O'Connell said after the match. Something about "unfortunately now we go back to our provinces..." I'm sure he didn't mean it quite like it sounds, but it does show how inspired they seem to be with Schmidt's leadership. He gets 23 guys to play a tactical game every match and leave nothing on pitch. It's an interesting time for Irish rugby.

If anyone can do great things with this Irish side, it will be Schmidt. The performance against NZ last year was an indicator of what was to come. It's not all him of course, it looks to be a very strong squad.
  • StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Why are these Ireland games on Sky? Have they signed some sort of deal a la England?

Wales beaten by a lucky bounce, then couldn't cope, The crowds heads went down. I'd like to know how many of that crowd actively watch their local club sides, or are they there for "the glory"?
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    That's a very strong Irish side. I just hope it's not a repeat of 2006 when we had a clean sweep of the Autumn Internationals and thought we were going to have a great World Cup the following year :D

Yeah and we should have won the slam in 07 too!!

Absolutely decimated England who were at such a low ebb and then they came and arguably should have won the RWC!!!

Saying that, I can't see Ireland making any mistakes like that again and the game has moved on so much even in that time. They were clearly burned out at the RWC in 07- I'm sure Joe will have them as prepared as possible now

I'm actually very excited ahead of the World Cup now much more so than even a few weeks ago! I honestly think Ireland could well make a final, and I fancy at least a semi

Winning it is a stretch but who knows a far inferior English side probably should have in 2007. A shambles of a French team should have in 2011

Knock out tournaments can be funny

As for 6n, I'm not all that bothered about it, I'd imagine it'll be either Ireland or england though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stockings wrote: »
    Why are these Ireland games on Sky? Have they signed some sort of deal a la England?
    Yeah sky signed a deal with the IRFU for home internationals but RTÉ also retain the live rights too. The deal was actually controversial enough for the IRFU at the time because RTÉ supposedly only got ROI rights and not island of Ireland rights but (and those in NI can confirm or deny) RTÉ has remained in the clear on all platforms for the matches in NI.

Rugby is an all-Ireland sport and RTÉ's official remit is that of an all-Ireland broadcaster (where possible) so its not surprising that a deal might have been agreed with sky to keep RTÉ in the north in the clear,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some great new short Guinness Rugby Home Nations ad's out lately - for those who have not seen...

David and Goliath - Munster beating All Blacks in 1978 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNWKsuchaU&src_vid=mjMho7lsb2s&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_752573851

Mind Over Matter - Shane Williams (too small to play rugby) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MpaUdd2Ec

Irrepressible Spirit - Bill McLaren, the voice of rugby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpMyuILYFg

Merci - Jonny Wilkinson - Loved by the English, Adored by the French - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjMho7lsb2s
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    Today's the day we get to see Sam Burgess play the fifteen man game, as he's named on the bench for Quins game.

It will be interesting to see what he can do after all the buzz around his signing for Bath. A decent 20 minute run out would probably be the best way to ease him into the game.

Short of him be spectacular, I'm not sure I can see him making England's RWC squad next year. Though I stand to be corrected.
    Forum Member
    England: 15-Brown, 14-Watson, 13-Barritt, 12-Twelvetrees, 11-May, 10-Ford, 9-B Youngs; 1-Marler, 2-Hartley, 3-Wilson, 4-Attwood, 5-Lawes, 6-Wood, 7-Robshaw (captain), 7-Morgan.

Replacements: 16-Webber, 17-Mullan, 18-Brookes, 19-Kruis, 20-Haskell, 21-Wigglesworth, 22-Farrell, 23-Yarde

Australia: 15-Folau, 14-Speight 13-Ashley-Cooper, 12-Toomua, 11-Horne, 10-Foley, 9-Phipps; 1-Slipper, 2-Faingaa, 3-Kepu, 4-Carter, 5-Simmons, 6-McMahon, 7-Hooper (captain), 8-McCalman

Replacements: To be announced

Wales: 15-Leigh Halfpenny; 14-Alex Cuthbert, 13-Jonathan Davies, 12-Jamie Roberts, 11-Liam Williams; 10-Dan Biggar, 9-Rhys Webb; 1-Gethin Jenkins, 2-Scott Baldwin, 3-Samson Lee, 4-Jake Ball, 5-Alun Wyn Jones, 6-Dan Lydiate, 7-Sam Warburton (capt), 8-Taulupe Faletau

Replacements: 16-Emyr Phillips , 17-Aaron Jarvis, 18-Rhodri Jones, 19-Luke Charteris, 20-James King, 21-Mike Phillips, 22-Rhys Priestland, 23-Scott Williams

South Africa: 15-Willie le Roux; 14-Cornal Hendricks, 13-Jan Serfontein, 12-Jean de Villiers (capt), 11-Lwazi Mvovo; 10-Pat Lambie, 9-Cobus Reinach; 1-Tendai Mtawarira, 2-Bismarck du Plessis, 3-Coenie Oosthuizen, 4-Eben Etzebeth, 5-Victor Matfield, 6-Marcell Coetzee, 7-Teboho Mohoje, 8-Duane Vermeulen

Replacements: 16-Adriaan Strauss, 17-Trevor Nyakane, 18-Julian Redelinghuys, 19-Lood de Jager, 20-Nizaam Carr, 21-Francois Hougaard, 22-Handré Pollard, 23-Damian de Allende
    Forum Member
    England: 15-Brown, 14-Watson, 13-Barritt, 12-Twelvetrees, 11-May, 10-Ford, 9-B Youngs; 1-Marler, 2-Hartley, 3-Wilson, 4-Attwood, 5-Lawes, 6-Wood, 7-Robshaw (captain), 7-Morgan.

Replacements: 16-Webber, 17-Mullan, 18-Brookes, 19-Kruis, 20-Haskell, 21-Wigglesworth, 22-Farrell, 23-Yarde

Australia: 15-Folau, 14-Speight 13-Ashley-Cooper, 12-Toomua, 11-Horne, 10-Foley, 9-Phipps; 1-Slipper, 2-Faingaa, 3-Kepu, 4-Carter, 5-Simmons, 6-McMahon, 7-Hooper (captain), 8-McCalman

Replacements: To be announced

Wales: 15-Leigh Halfpenny; 14-Alex Cuthbert, 13-Jonathan Davies, 12-Jamie Roberts, 11-Liam Williams; 10-Dan Biggar, 9-Rhys Webb; 1-Gethin Jenkins, 2-Scott Baldwin, 3-Samson Lee, 4-Jake Ball, 5-Alun Wyn Jones, 6-Dan Lydiate, 7-Sam Warburton (capt), 8-Taulupe Faletau

Replacements: 16-Emyr Phillips , 17-Aaron Jarvis, 18-Rhodri Jones, 19-Luke Charteris, 20-James King, 21-Mike Phillips, 22-Rhys Priestland, 23-Scott Williams

South Africa: 15-Willie le Roux; 14-Cornal Hendricks, 13-Jan Serfontein, 12-Jean de Villiers (capt), 11-Lwazi Mvovo; 10-Pat Lambie, 9-Cobus Reinach; 1-Tendai Mtawarira, 2-Bismarck du Plessis, 3-Coenie Oosthuizen, 4-Eben Etzebeth, 5-Victor Matfield, 6-Marcell Coetzee, 7-Teboho Mohoje, 8-Duane Vermeulen

Replacements: 16-Adriaan Strauss, 17-Trevor Nyakane, 18-Julian Redelinghuys, 19-Lood de Jager, 20-Nizaam Carr, 21-Francois Hougaard, 22-Handré Pollard, 23-Damian de Allende

Finally has the balls to drop Farrell

Twelvetrees just warming the jersey for Tuliagi/Burrell/Eastmond take your pick

Mako is back for sarries today

England will win this, Aussies are spent at this stage
    Forum Member
    Today's the day we get to see Sam Burgess play the fifteen man game, as he's named on the bench for Quins game.

It will be interesting to see what he can do after all the buzz around his signing for Bath. A decent 20 minute run out would probably be the best way to ease him into the game.

Short of him be spectacular, I'm not sure I can see him making England's RWC squad next year. Though I stand to be corrected.

Me neither as things stand

It'll surely take injuries

Eastmond, Burrell, tuilagi, Barritt, are all well capable that's not to mention Farrell, Twelvetrees and even a wildcard like Tait or Henry Slade
    Forum Member
    The English clubs have all called back their Welsh players

Who's that Hibbard, Hook and North only?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange decision to give hendricks yellow. Both players in the air trying to get the ball.
    So what is the ref saying that the person in the air first should get a free ride?
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decent win for England, although Australia had played Tests in 15 of the last 25 weekends which is a daft schedule.

Forwards look good, pretty settled, Morgan has to be a certain starter.

Backs not, you can still make a better line of those who did not play rather than who did Not. Eastmond, Joseph, Wade, Tuialngi, Roka, although the wingers see such little ball for long periods it is a bit academic.

I would say Burgess is a certainty to go to the RWC at the moment. It's as much a issue of where does he fit into the Bath side as England.
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Me neither as things stand

It'll surely take injuries

Eastmond, Burrell, tuilagi, Barritt, are all well capable that's not to mention Farrell, Twelvetrees and even a wildcard like Tait or Henry Slade
    Decent win for England, although Australia had played Tests in 15 of the last 25 weekends which is a daft schedule.

Forwards look good, pretty settled, Morgan has to be a certain starter.

Backs not, you can still make a better line of those who did not play rather than who did Not. Eastmond, Joseph, Wade, Tuialngi, Roka, although the wingers see such little ball for long periods it is a bit academic.

I would say Burgess is a certainty to go to the RWC at the moment. It's as much a issue of where does he fit into the Bath side as England.

Well judging from what Lancaster said on BBC Sportsweek today, he isn't closing the door on any players and highlighted a few who weren't even in EPS. Hopefully the injuries will settle down and the northern hemisphere teams will be able pick their strongest sides.

Well done to Wales for stopping the media narrative about their losing record to SH sides. Next year's 6 Nations opener will be very interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The whole Six Nations looks interesting (more so than usual). With RWC looming, the Autumn Internationals probably left more questions than answers.
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday night in February is going to big one of the biggest games of the last 4 years. England V Wales. England returning to the place they were humiliated in 2 years ago when going for a grand slam. The ended with nothing.

That said I feel that England need to come away from there with a win or they are going to struggle to make any mark on the World cup. The truth is they have to get out of a group with 2 teams that will be desperate to humiliate England in there own back yard and in their own world cup. There will be no better motivation for the Welsh and the Aussies.
    I think the Friday night game in Cardiff is a perfect test for that. England have a lot of demons to overcome.

I have an odd feeling the winner of the world cup is coming out of that group.
    Forum Member
    I think England will have too much for Wales in Feb (and in RWC)

They'll be massively boosted by the lads coming back from injury. Saturday was huge for both teams though, two big confidence boosters

It's the most interesting 6n in yonks- I cannot wait. I'd be surprised if there was a Grand Slam I think.

All of Ireland, England and Wales are certainly capable of winning it and it'd be highly imprudent to write off the French- though they surely aren't consistent enough

I can see Scotland getting at least one big win too

If England learned anything from the Autumn it's that Morgan is by a mile the man for 8. He has been immense. Their pack will be key, but with Cole, Corbs and Launchbury to come into contention for a starting place (Parling, Youngs, maybe Croft for bench), they'll be very strong. Marler, Wilson and Attwood will be bloody hard to displace after the campaign though, 1 is Marler's shirt to lose really

The problems lie in midfield and perhaps at 9. They finally seemed to have found their best 10 though
    Forum Member
    sensoria wrote: »
    I have an odd feeling the winner of the world cup is coming out of that group.

Right now (and it's ages away yet) I'd have 3 leading contenders- New Zealand, Ireland and England, the latter due to home advantage

Australia play great rugby but I think their pack may let them down. Saying that they're a very good "finals" team.

I'm just not overly convinced by SA, they were very laboured in the Autumn

Wales may well be a bit of a dark horse again but will they get out of the group? Their record v Aus is awful, but it has to end some time...

NZ to me don't look near as unstoppable as recent years, and have an awful finals record. They're rightfully favourites but they're there for the taking as things stand. It would have been very interesting had Ireland played them this Autumn

England won't be as naive against them next year and surely won't be as injury-riddled...
    Forum Member
    Hmm I don't think it'll have any bearing on the RWC matches, bar a small psychological boost (unless it's another rout).

For all the hype around the games, I think the benefit of being the host nation will help England. It's a near certainty that there will be some refereeing decisions that people will point to that favour England (subconscious bias by the officials).

I mean how the hell did France not get a penalty in the last 10 minutes against New Zealand? It was like the officials were scared to ruin the 'All Black Fairy Tale' win.

Risky as it sounds England just need to beat one of Australia or Wales and we should get through, especially as Australia vs Wales is their respective last matches of pool A.