Options

Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, LJ lives to troll; but I still can't believe that the DM is happy to print her deranged, man-hating rants. A male writer taking a similar stance would be sacked, pronto.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where I can read this weeks dreary? Its still not available online at the DM and I really need a good laugh :o
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That article is beyond ridiculous. No, Liz, you didn't 'stand up to him', you were rude, nasty, petty, immature and spiteful just because someone dared to want something that was rightfully theirs and you think the world owes you a favour. I've had it happen to me where I've booked a seat somewhere and found someone sitting in it despite the 'Reserved' sign being there for all to see and then complain when I asked them to move.
  • Options
    tonywilsontonywilson Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Another terrible work of fiction from Lizard but at least we can all start referring to her as "Madam Jones" from now on. :D
  • Options
    marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If her diary is written well before it's published, then how did he know that his email appeared in last weeks column??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Oh god why do I read her stuff she annoys me and makes me angry.
    The RS stuff is very very badly written fiction that a 12 year would be embarassed to produce.

I still don't believe she's as deaf as she says and having a slight hearing loss myself I find it sickening that she claims to be deaf now. What will it be next week, blind, mute?

Her usual men are horrible rant is just the ramblings of a mad woman at this point. How is she getting away with it?

And on a slightly bitchy note is she wearing tracksuit bottoms in the hearing test pictures?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Liz Jones misquote sparks Twitter tiff"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2012/may/09/liz-jones-misquote-twitter
    LJ misquoting someone? Well I never.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spike08 wrote: »
    The RS stuff is very very badly written fiction that a 12 year would be embarassed to produce.

I still don't believe she's as deaf as she says and having a slight hearing loss myself I find it sickening that she claims to be deaf now. What will it be next week, blind, mute?

Her usual men are horrible rant is just the ramblings of a mad woman at this point. How is she getting away with it?

And on a slightly bitchy note is she wearing tracksuit bottoms in the hearing test pictures?

I thought that too! Maybe she has taken to wearing some nice nylon adidas trackies as designer leisurewear. :D
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    If her diary is written well before it's published, then how did he know that his email appeared in last weeks column??

How indeed. :eek:;)
  • Options
    vampyrevampyre Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    How indeed. :eek:;)

I thought it was the infamous cut and paste email from a few weeks ago. When she said it was a holiday for her to do so rather than write a column.
  • Options
    CassiniCassini Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know for certain who he is yet?
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Cassini wrote: »
    Do we know for certain who he is yet?

My money's on either Father Christmas with an air guitar or the Tooth Fairy in a leather jacket and bandana.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I thought that too! Maybe she has taken to wearing some nice nylon adidas trackies as designer leisurewear. :D

I thought my eyes were deceiving me, they look like some nasty trackie bottoms. Didn't see them getting logged on her most recent poor offering
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2147223/LIZ-JONES-FASHION-THERAPY-Is-cataloguing-clothes-online-way-smarter-dressing.html
    shame as they are beauts:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=DeliriumTremens;58313111.
    Meanwhile, she has this load of insulting tripe in the paper.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2146979/Who-cares-men-stuck-glass-cellar--They-change-bulb-theyre-there.html[/QUOTE]

The lack of any sense of irony is staggering.
    'Let’s put it on the floor, shall we?' I said, in a voice like Supernanny. 'It’s like being surrounded by children.
    'God, how do the women in your lives stand it? No wonder they made you move to the countryside.
    'At least they no longer have to look at you in daylight. I bet they pretend to be asleep in bed when you get home. I know I would.’
    I love seeing the shock on men’s faces when they meet a woman who stands up to them.
    .........................I find most men, probably because they in turn get bullied at home by wives who have nothing much else to do, have become impossibly rude.

Only the fact that it is obviously a fantasy from beginning to end stops me wondering why no one tipped a cup of coffee over her head.
  • Options
    DeliriumTremensDeliriumTremens Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are spoiled - not only do we have Liz having her clothes catalogued, but we have Samantha Brick (again) and her husband Pascal. He's French, you know. She claims he has a very sucessful business, but I am begining to suspect that as he appears so regularly in her articles that the business isn't doing so well.....
    As for Liz and her imaginary conversations on the train, she is probably the person talking to herself that most other travellers try to avoid sitting next to.
  • Options
    newbabynewbaby Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are spoiled - not only do we have Liz having her clothes catalogued, but we have Samantha Brick (again) and her husband Pascal. He's French, you know. She claims he has a very sucessful business, but I am begining to suspect that as he appears so regularly in her articles that the business isn't doing so well.....
    As for Liz and her imaginary conversations on the train, she is probably the person talking to herself that most other travellers try to avoid sitting next to.

The outpourings of La Briquette almost, just almost, make me feel rather benign towards the weird and wonderful web of LJ's diary and her curious "articles".
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Funny how she starts off by talking rudely to a man and then accuses him of being rude:

"'What are you, 12?' I asked him, gathering my newspapers and sliding out grumpily into the aisle.
    He sat down without saying thank you..."

I wouldn't have said thank you either, in the circumstances.

I would have been tempted to boot her scrawny backside down the other end of the railway carriage in the circumstances....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newbaby wrote: »
    The outpourings of La Briquette almost, just almost, make me feel rather benign towards the weird and wonderful web of LJ's diary and her curious "articles".
    And we complain that LJ's repertoire is limited. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any article penned by La Brick will contain the following:-
    1. I'm beautiful.
    2. I used to earn a six figure salary doing a VERY IMPORTANT job.
    3. I am married to a misogynistic French t**t who looks like a Village People cast off.

Job done.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB: I've read a few comments on various forums debating this point. The thing is, she may well be as deaf as she painted in her article, but because she's 'cried wolf' so many times about other things, and exaggerated or invented 'the truth' (as she sees it) about other things, she could be being doubted now, when, in fact, for once she's telling the truth.

I work with older teenagers and adults with a variety of learning difficulties, including partial or full deafness, and one of my best friends is profoundly deaf (and yet she is a musician and teaches piano - one of her pupils is my daughter!) and I recognise a lot of what Liz writes in terms of explaining how it 'is' and how it 'feels' to have hearing loss and how it is when you start to use hearing aids like the article describes.

So there are two possibilities - either Liz has done her research well and managed to recreate the world of someone who is living with moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears to a 't', or she really does have moderate to severe hearing loss (caused by measles, if that bit is true). Talking of the measles bit, if ever there was a timely reminder that having the MMR jab is far preferable to the risk of catching measles without it, then this story is it, whether Liz is telling the truth or not. Parents these days have no concept of what a dangerous disease measles used to be - at best you were very poorly, but eventually recovered with no long-term ill-effects, but at worst it caused deafness, blindness, brain damage. We are so used to drs being able to cure most things these days that the danger of catching measles has been overlooked. If nothing else, this article could be useful in persuading parents to make sure their children are immunised.

I do understand that anyone who is familiar with Liz in her other guises, now reading the article about the hearing aids, may doubt the veracity of her article, even more that they might feel aggrieved that she may be 'jumping on the bandwagon' of anyone, including themselves, who may also be living with some degree of hearing loss. But on the other hand Liz hasn't just plucked the hearing loss out of thin air like she has other things for her diary - the hearing loss is a long-standing thing she has mentioned for years. Now, she may or may not have been making it up for years, and I'm usually as cynical as the next person, but if there's the slightest chance Liz may be telling the truth then she should be given the benefit of the doubt before she's just shot down in flames just because she is who she is and usually writes what she does. She has a proven track record for rewriting history and making up stories to fill column inches, yes, but she is still underneath it all a real person who has a real life - some of which IS the Liz who seeps through in her writing. Unless we have proof, who are any of us to say partial hearing loss isn't a part of the real Liz who seeps through occasionally?

As I say, the way Liz describes her experience are almost word-for-word the way that some of my hearing impaired friends and students have described theirs to me. Obviously not everyone with hearing loss experiences the same things in the same way, so I can understand comments like "but I've got partial hearing loss and it's nothing like Liz describes" or "I've started using digital hearing aids and I had a completely different experience" because every person experiences the hearing loss and the effect of using digital, or analogue, hearing aids in a different way, and although of course large groups of people can have largely similar experiences, even within those similarities there will be many minor differences which make every patient experience unique.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that, in this instance, I'm erring on the side of giving Liz the benefit of the doubt. It's sad that she's shot herself in the foot over the years by making things up so that people doubt ANYTHING she writes, but it's too late to do much about that now. I just like to try and see things from both sides and am reluctant to damn someone without proof one way or the other - proof which is, I know, unlikely to be provided in any way that will satisfy Liz's harshest critics, but proof which nonetheless is the only thing she should, and could, be damned by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any article penned by La Brick will contain the following:-
    1. I'm beautiful.
    2. I used to earn a six figure salary doing a VERY IMPORTANT job.
    3. I am married to a misogynistic French t**t who looks like a Village People cast off.

Job done.
    SB can only keep these articles going by upping the ante/shock value each time. Apologies in advance, but I can forsee some weird domestic violence stuff coming, eg: "When a slap is justified"/Why Sean Connery was right", "Pascal is 'old fashioned'" etc etc..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    BIB: I've read a few comments on various forums debating this point. The thing is, she may well be as deaf as she painted in her article, but because she's 'cried wolf' so many times about other things, and exaggerated or invented 'the truth' (as she sees it) about other things, she could be being doubted now, when, in fact, for once she's telling the truth.

I work with older teenagers and adults with a variety of learning difficulties, including partial or full deafness, and one of my best friends is profoundly deaf (and yet she is a musician and teaches piano - one of her pupils is my daughter!) and I recognise a lot of what Liz writes in terms of explaining how it 'is' and how it 'feels' to have hearing loss and how it is when you start to use hearing aids like the article describes.

So there are two possibilities - either Liz has done her research well and managed to recreate the world of someone who is living with moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears to a 't', or she really does have moderate to severe hearing loss (caused by measles, if that bit is true). Talking of the measles bit, if ever there was a timely reminder that having the MMR jab is far preferable to the risk of catching measles without it, then this story is it, whether Liz is telling the truth or not. Parents these days have no concept of what a dangerous disease measles used to be - at best you were very poorly, but eventually recovered with no long-term ill-effects, but at worst it caused deafness, blindness, brain damage. We are so used to drs being able to cure most things these days that the danger of catching measles has been overlooked. If nothing else, this article could be useful in persuading parents to make sure their children are immunised.

I do understand that anyone who is familiar with Liz in her other guises, now reading the article about the hearing aids, may doubt the veracity of her article, even more that they might feel aggrieved that she may be 'jumping on the bandwagon' of anyone, including themselves, who may also be living with some degree of hearing loss. But on the other hand Liz hasn't just plucked the hearing loss out of thin air like she has other things for her diary - the hearing loss is a long-standing thing she has mentioned for years. Now, she may or may not have been making it up for years, and I'm usually as cynical as the next person, but if there's the slightest chance Liz may be telling the truth then she should be given the benefit of the doubt before she's just shot down in flames just because she is who she is and usually writes what she does. She has a proven track record for rewriting history and making up stories to fill column inches, yes, but she is still underneath it all a real person who has a real life - some of which IS the Liz who seeps through in her writing. Unless we have proof, who are any of us to say partial hearing loss isn't a part of the real Liz who seeps through occasionally?

As I say, the way Liz describes her experience are almost word-for-word the way that some of my hearing impaired friends and students have described theirs to me. Obviously not everyone with hearing loss experiences the same things in the same way, so I can understand comments like "but I've got partial hearing loss and it's nothing like Liz describes" or "I've started using digital hearing aids and I had a completely different experience" because every person experiences the hearing loss and the effect of using digital, or analogue, hearing aids in a different way, and although of course large groups of people can have largely similar experiences, even within those similarities there will be many minor differences which make every patient experience unique.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that, in this instance, I'm erring on the side of giving Liz the benefit of the doubt. It's sad that she's shot herself in the foot over the years by making things up so that people doubt ANYTHING she writes, but it's too late to do much about that now. I just like to try and see things from both sides and am reluctant to damn someone without proof one way or the other - proof which is, I know, unlikely to be provided in any way that will satisfy Liz's harshest critics, but proof which nonetheless is the only thing she should, and could, be damned by.

I will admit that because of her past record I am probably a bit unwilling to believe her completely, which is a shame as she could have highlighted a real issue for so many people.

It's probably the lastest thing on the runway. :D
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will admit that because of her past record I am probably a bit unwilling to believe her completely, which is a shame as she could have highlighted a real issue for so many people.

I totally agree - for once, something actually worth saying and writing an article about, but sadly it will be pulled apart for all the wrong reasons instead of being taken notice of for all the right ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing is she claims she is deaf and cannot hear the upper registers yet last year she was in a nightclub talking to young girls above the "deafening" music....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2046644/Binge-drinking-What-drives-young-women-path-self-destruction.html
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    The thing is she claims she is deaf and cannot hear the upper registers yet last year she was in a nightclub talking to young girls above the "deafening" music....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2046644/Binge-drinking-What-drives-young-women-path-self-destruction.html

HAHA she worked in fashion for Marie Claire etc but never tried alcohol until she was 42. Pull the other one Liz it's got glistening bells on it FFS.
    I am losing track can someone help me out with her issues....the next story will be how she was an alcoholic & her troubles and she'll conveniently forget all that she has said before.
This discussion has been closed.