The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO it was a deliberate almighty great thump by Cav. Whether what happened immediately beforehand justified it I don't know, but at that speed with lots of riders close behind it could very easily have resulted in one or more serious injuries.
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The jury seems to have decided Veelers stopped chasing the line so had a duty to get out of the way. He moved left, looked back, and drifted back right onto the line creating an obstruction, and putting himself in harm's way. That may have been what got Cavendish off the hook. http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/matchcenter/mc_wielrennen/comp_Tour_de_France_2013/1.1656309
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Phew! Good news Cav is out of trouble. Hope he learns from this whatever the reality was and that there is no backlash in the peloton :)
    Forum Member
    Cav paraphrased.....i know people will be in the forums going crazy about it :p
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me Veelers edged into Cavendish, intentionally or not

Then Cavendish went past and obviously also edged back in.

Neither were in the complete clear, so a racing incident is the probable outcome. (poss 40/60%)

If though it was a another sprinter involved, e.g. Cav collided with Greipel, than firstly Griepel would have held his own, but Cav would more than likely have been punished more severely. But as it was "only" a lead out train, the situation is a little different.

(auto spell check come up with punched then, a Freudian slip, if there ever was one.)

As for why Cav is not dominating this year, the opposition is better than previously, the opposition lead out trains are better, and maybe Cav is off his game a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i know Cav was racing into the line of the Finnish, but i don't think he should try to ride through another rider.

imho he was never going to get there at all... Should have backed off, instead he sent Veelers flying at 65kph! :/

Anyway... TT tomorrow. Froome to gain more time on the GC contenders or Bertie to make the biggest comeback since Lazarus?
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Cavendish isnt a very nice person is he

He sure isn't. Makes Andy Murray seem almost likeable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    He sure isn't. Makes Andy Murray seem almost likeable.

Road sprinters are more like F1 drivers than tennis players. If you regularly put yourself in a situation where making a mistake can easily result in serious injury, you have to be very confident in your own ability... in other words, a bit cocky.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it comes with the territory.

You learn to love Cav. If not understand him. You try because the situation and mentality they put themselves in comes with some downsides.
  • OmrafOmraf Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I think Cav thought he was going to carry on towards him and almost braced for it but Veleers stopped and that is why it looked bad. Cav is naughty but I do like him! (said in a Dick emery voice).
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cav's not whiter than white on this but Veelers takes the blame for me for creating the situation in the first place. Clearly looking to disrupt Cav and that is playing with fire!
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Cav - but you just think he has started to play the publicity game and he stomps off with a tape recorder.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going out on a limb and suggesting David Millar to win today's stage. Individual Time Trial today, aka, "Sprinters' Rest Day".
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely disgraceful, if true:

@saddleblaze 9m
    According to @jejeroule44 Cav was whistled and doused with urine during his time trial... #TDF
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful, if true:

@saddleblaze 9m
    According to @jejeroule44 Cav was whistled and doused with urine during his time trial... #TDF

No one deserves that kind of treatment, as you say, that is a disgrace, it is not as if he was the first person involved in a crash last the Tour, and nor will he be the last.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb and suggesting David Millar to win today's stage. Individual Time Trial today, aka, "Sprinters' Rest Day".

Can't see past Martin... Injured or not.

Froome to take more time out of the GC contenders.

Quintana to get a good time.

Shocked if Contador is within 30sec of Froome's time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Slater ‏@mattslaterbbc 40m

I've just had it confirmed that somebody threw urine at Mark Cavendish during today's stage

Scumbags! :mad:
    Forum Member
    Shocking :eek: but not at all suprising sadly :(
    Forum Member
    Tony Martin is in (36.29), still with a minute gap to the nearest rider. 1.30 to the next. Porte not long set-off...

He's 25 secs down on Martin at 10min check. 7th place.
    Forum Member
    Cav quote on today....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/10/mark-cavendish-sprayed-with-urine-tour-de-france

Here's Omega Pharma-QuickStep boss Patrick Lefevere talking about what happened to Mark Cavendish (above) earlier on today. Looks like it was connected to yesterday's collision with Tom Veelers, as was suspected.

Lefevere said other riders told Cavendish that "some spectators were not very pleased with what happened yesterday and they yelled at him. One put urine on him.

"[Mark] is really disappointed. He's not upset, he's more down because he thinks - and I think he's right - that he didn't deserve it."

"He can maybe have a handshake tomorrow morning with Tom Veelers if he agrees with this. This case has to be closed."

More on Cav: Mark Cavendish heard the boos and jeers during his ride in today's 33km time trial, and was upset by them.

In terms of an apology to Tom Veelers, Cav has already called the Dutch rider to ask how he was & reiterated that he would never knock him off on purpose.

Veelers rebuffed this approach, saying Cavendish should apologise in person. Cav doesn't agree that he has an apology to make, which is where the discussion ended.
    Forum Member
    Porte at 2nd check, 53 secs down on Martin.

Chavanel 2nd only 7 secs down at the 1st check...
    Forum Member
    Porte has finished, he's sitting in 3rd place...

1st part (9,5 km) -> 25" slower than TM
    2nd part (12,5 km) -> 29" slower than TM
    3rd part (11 km) -> 27" slower than TM

Chavanel slipping back also 54 secs down on TM at 2nd check....

TOP THREE AT THE FINISH

1. Tony Martin (Ger/Omega Pharma-QuickStep) 36 min 29 sec

2. Thomas De Gendt (Bel/Vacansoleil) +1min 01 sec

3. Richie Porte (Aus/Team Sky) +1min 21 sec
    Forum Member
    Froome due out at 3.55pm
    Forum Member
    Chavanel finished sitting in 5th place.
    Forum Member
    Sagan still in the top 10 (just) :p

David Millar remains the fastest Brit so far...

With 150 of the 182 riders done, Millar is now 13th fastest (39min 03sec), Ian Stannard is 41st (40min 07sec), and his Team Sky team-mate Geraint Thomas is 42nd (40.09).

Manxmen Peter Kennaugh and Mark Cavendish are 105th and 131st (41min 29 sec and 42min 00sec)

And Ireland's Nicholas Roche has just finished too. He is 14th so far in a time of 39min 04 sec.