Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse announces first investigations

sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse announces first investigations
https://www.iicsa.org.uk/news/independent-inquiry-into-child-sexual-abuse-announces-first-investigations

The Chair of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse has today announced the first phase of investigations into the extent to which institutions have failed to protect children from sexual abuse. Hon. Lowell Goddard DNZM announced the Inquiry’s first 12 investigations which will begin immediately and provided a statement on the work of the Inquiry to date.

The 12 investigations are:

1. Children in the Care of Lambeth Council
2. Children in the Care of Nottinghamshire Councils
3. Cambridge House, Knowl View and Rochdale Council
4. Child Sexual Abuse in the Anglican Church
5. Child Sexual Abuse in the Roman Catholic Church
6. The Sexual Abuse of Children in Custodial Institutions
7. Child Sexual Abuse in Residential Schools
8. The Internet and Child Sexual Abuse
9. Child Exploitation by Organised Networks
10. The Protection of Children Outside the United Kingdom
11. Accountability and Reparations for Victims and Survivors
12. Allegations of Child Sexual Abuse Linked to Westminster

The Inquiry website has been updated with documents providing more detail of the scope and focus of each of the 12 investigations. Procedural timetables for each investigation will be published early in the New Year.

The investigations fall into two categories; institution-specific and thematic. Taken together they will cut across the five workstreams of the Inquiry:

* Allegations of abuse by people of prominence in public life - led by the Chair, Hon. Lowell Goddard DNZM
* Education and religion - led by Panel member, Prof. Malcolm Evans OBE
* Criminal Justice and law enforcement - led by Panel member, Drusilla Sharpling CBE
* Local authorities and voluntary organisations - led by Panel member, Prof. Alexis Jay OBE
* National and private service organisations - led by Panel member, Ivor Frank

Update statement November 2015
https://www.iicsa.org.uk/sites/default/files/update-statement-november-2015.pdf
19. We will conduct an objective fact-finding inquiry into allegations of abuse by people of public prominence associated with Westminster. The investigation will focus on high profile allegations of child sex abuse involving current or former Members of Parliament, senior civil servants, government advisers, and members of the intelligence and security agencies. It will consider allegations of cover-up and conspiracy and will review the adequacy of law enforcement responses to these allegations.

And so it begins... at last....

Comments

• Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And.... Sky let it run through until she announced Westminster investigation. Cut away getting all excited. It's so wrong that media are obsessing about this potential abuse as being so much more important than the abuse suffered elsewhere. I see CofE / RC churches being investigated. She said other religions may come in for investigation at later stage. Why not now? Is Scotland having an Inquiry?
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the abuse is widespread among all those institutions, then lots of powerful people are potentially involved, and that gives me qualms about the investigations. They say it's an independent inquiry, how do they ensure that wealthy and powerful people who would like to keep things covered up do not wield their influence behind the scenes?
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It appears it will take 5 years to complete and I'm not why "10. The Protection of Children Outside the United Kingdom" is included as the inquiry only covers England & Wales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    If the abuse is widespread among all those institutions, then lots of powerful people are potentially involved, and that gives me qualms about the investigations. They say it's an independent inquiry, how do they ensure that wealthy and powerful people who would like to keep things covered up do not wield their influence behind the scenes?

Whatever the outcome it will be claimed as a cover up by some. Unless Margaret Thatcher / Prince Philip are found be be the lynchpins of state controlled child abuse it will be a conspiracy / cover up by David Cameron and HM Queen..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    It appears it will take 5 years to complete and I'm not why "10. The Protection of Children Outside the United Kingdom" is included as the inquiry only covers England & Wales.

What is happening with Scotland?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see no specific mention of Kincora or Northern Ireland. This may mean that a huge can of worms is going to continue to be ignored.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    waste of time and money that will achieve ZERO
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    A She said other religions may come in for investigation at later stage. Why not now? ?
    IIRC they mentioned that it's already going to be running 12 concurrent enquiries, which I think is a record.

So the chances are they've identified the areas that already meet a certain threshold for enquiries and are prioritising them, with an eye on further ones if more allegations and/or evidence is turned up.
    It's probably down to the manpower required to do the investigations in anything like a timely manner.

And to be honest, COE and RCC are the two biggest religious groups historically in the UK, and both have had massive issues with child abuse and potential cover ups (especially the RCC which appears to have spent decades shuttling alleged offending priests around the country and to other countries).
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    I see no specific mention of Kincora or Northern Ireland. This may mean that a huge can of worms is going to continue to be ignored.

Agh, now you're on shaky ground. This would involve investigating the royals and that's never gonna happen. ;-)
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »

Maybe it's British institutions on foreign soil? Diplomats or some such foreign-based-but-still-British grey area? Or other groups or institutions who have foreign bases/camps but are British (or English or Welsh if that's how they are splitting investigations due to differences in law).

I suppose this is ostensibly an attempt to see the entire iceberg rather than just the smaller bit of ice at the top. I wouldn't call it a waste of money as that would be to prejudge and I have no idea the individual strengths of any allegations made - just that there are a lot out there.

My position has always been that any allegations made should be investigated fully at the earliest opportunity, no matter the alleged party. If that hasn't happened (and there's some evidence that at times it hasn't - Cyrille Smith) then future problems are assured.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure about No's 8 and 10 ? No 8 ok if it is websites based here or if they have evidence UK citizens are using websites in order to abuse kids but other than that the internet is something they will never defeat alone , and No 10 well if it is UK soil outside the UK mainland ok but if not what powers do we have outside the UK other than to inform local authorities
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Agh, now you're on shaky ground. This would involve investigating the royals and that's never gonna happen. ;-)

Kincora is not part of the enquiries in England and Wales it is however part of the Northern Ireland Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Historical_Institutional_Abuse_Inquiry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Kincora is not part of the enquiries in England and Wales it is however part of the Northern Ireland Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Historical_Institutional_Abuse_Inquiry

just heard this being discussed on TV and they said the woman who is heading this enquiry will leave no stone unturned and "members of the royal family could be questioned." ;-)
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    just heard this being discussed on TV and they said the woman who is heading this enquiry will leave no stone unturned and "members of the royal family could be questioned." ;-)

And a conspiracy theory that someone in the royal family has definitely been up to no good was born.

I thought it would put an end to damaging rumours and speculation, how wrong I was.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weren't there rumours about Prince Andrew? Perhaps this in relation to those? (Not that I'm neccesarily validating unproven, spurious gossip. Just speculating).
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »

No North Wales, no Haute la Garrene, no Islington care homes and there's plenty more. Perhaps the terms of reference dictate which cases are up for investigation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    No North Wales, no Haute la Garrene, no Islington care homes and there's plenty more. Perhaps the terms of reference dictate which cases are up for investigation

Haute la Garrene is in Jersey and does not come under Westminster and is the subject of a separate enquiry which commenced last year. Likewise North wales was part of Operation Pallial of which the first report was released and CPS wales have already prosecuted some and look at others as the information is passed on also it does form part of this latest part of the enquiry ( No 20 on report below)

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/sites/default/files/update-statement-november-2015.pdf

We should also remember this is only the first part not a complete list.

I would be happy to see people prosecuted for abuse and hope they are , however part of me does feel that we could have a million investigations but if the names some people want are not found to be involved then some will not be happy and call it a cover up, many have been assumed automatically guilty due to rumour and gossip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    And a conspiracy theory that someone in the royal family has definitely been up to no good was born.

I thought it would put an end to damaging rumours and speculation, how wrong I was.

I'm merely reporting was was said on the TV today. You are surely aware of the great friendship between certain royals and the vile Jimmy Savile. Strange people indeed who would want to be associated with a grubby old man in a string vest with a permanent cigar in his mouth. Even stranger is why a certain older member of the royals made frequent unofficial visits to the boys home at Kincora.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15/03/19 - 04:15 #20
    It's taken a long time but information being confirmed of long time rumours about cover ups/ inaction by those in a position to have done something

The Scottish Liberal Democrats have suspended former leader David Steel over remarks he made to a child abuse inquiry about the late MP Cyril Smith.
    Lord Steel said he asked Smith in 1979 about claims he abused boys at a Rochdale hostel in the 1960s.
    He said he came away from the conversation "assuming" that Smith had committed the offences but claimed it was "nothing to do with me".
    A Scottish Lib Dem spokesman said an investigation would take place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47573243

The committee that recommends people for knighthoods received allegations of child sexual abuse against Jimmy Savile in 1998, an inquiry has heard.
    The head of the Honours Committee also resisted pressure from Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s to knight Savile, according to letters seen by the probe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47576543

• bradybradybradybrady Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable from Lord Steele

Putting aside that he did nothing, he then supported the awarding of a Knighthood to Smith

It's no wonder that lots of us feel let down

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 15/03/19 - 13:47 #22
    bradybrady wrote: »

Putting aside that he did nothing, he then supported the awarding of a Knighthood to Smith

To try and be fair (purely o clarify not that I support his decision) I think the press are highlighting the "it was nothing to do with me" sentence a lot rather than the whole thing which he said he felt that way as there had been a police investigation and no further actions, so possibly understandable that he thought if police had not taken action then that was an end to it officially

However the fact that he personally retained the thought that the accusations were probably true does beg no not beg scream the question why the hell even if you thought you could do nothing as the police had NFA'd it nominate the man for an honour ? I mean plenty of things in life we cannot do things about but if you know something is wrong just because you cannot do anything does not mean the only other option is to support someone/ something not promote it. And whilst you may feel you could do nothing given the seriousness you could discreetly warn others of your suspicions.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member

And I always sort of thought he was one of the good guys..... :(

• jim_lyonsjim_lyons Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »

I don't think there's many good guys in our political landscape. Just varying shades of bad.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Jo March wrote: »

He said it was nothing to do with him. WTH
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there ANY organisation in the UK that dealt with child abuse properly?
    Seems that they all covered up or shrugged their shoulders and looked the other way because it was too awful to think about.