Regeneration issue just got complex!

2»

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Bass_Cadet wrote: »
    The 15-hour rule with regeneration can help you survive bullets? Intriguing!

I like the 15 Hour Rule, it explains that messy phase after a Regeneration where a Time Lord is all crazy. Before that people just referred to it as Post Regeneration Syndrome or something, where in the past The Doctor breathed out the energy as time went on, now it seems more advanced Time Lords such as The Master and River Song can now just eject that energy at will during the phase.

Also FINALLY points out why the TARDIS blew up during the 10 to 11 regeneration, our theory was right, it was because he shot that energy into the TARDIS console, other people were questioning that it might be just a coincidence but come on, River just blasted away a load of Nazi guards with a controlled blast, I wouldn't put it past the clumsy Doctor to accidentally blast the TARDIS whilst he Regenerates! :p
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    DS9 wrote: »
    Romana could control her regenerations. And the Master seemed to control his when he made himself "young and strong again" in Utopia. The Doctor just seems to be a bit of a rubbish Time Lord... can't fly a TARDIS properly, can't regenerate properly. That's my opinion anyway.
    I'm beginning to think that :D
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member
    The 12 regeneration limit seems to be related to the regeneration energy of a Time Lord. They have enough of it to fully regenerate 12 times. After that you get something like The Master in Deadly Assassin.

River's gifting of her energy to the Doctor could have extended his regeneration limit by recharging it, but given he was dead, it's also possible that he needed a massive amount of energy to survive and so wouldn't have any additional regenerations available. Either way, it wouldn't be an entire regenerative cycle as River had already used up some of her's.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I'm more shocked that Time Lords bodies can age example Mels growing from a child to an adult.

Why? The first Doctor effectively died of old age at around 450 and the fourth was temporarily aged 500 years in 'The Leisure Hive'.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my take, If a Time Lord becomes a toddler when they regenerate, they may well age until they reach physical maturity then they'd presumably just sort of, stop ageing. But if they regenerate into a mature adult straight away, then no, they wont age.

But in their first life time lords age, and even if they make it through their whole life without getting killed, then their old age will kick start a regeneration anyway. (1st Doctor)
    When's it ever been suggested that Time Lord's don't age... albeit a lot slower than us? I don't recall any evidence of any of the Doc's body's remaining 'static', once the regeneration is complete. First body or Eleventh, he still get's older.

And we can explain Mel's normal aging rate cos she's mostly human.
  • EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bass_Cadet wrote: »
    The 15-hour rule with regeneration can help you survive bullets? Intriguing!
    Amazingly it also helped her clothes avoid being riddled with holes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    EmmaGx wrote: »
    Amazingly it also helped her clothes avoid being riddled with holes!

Considering it temporarily killed Jenny, the fact that River just carries on is impressive.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    The whole issue is so throwaway now it's laughable.

I'll try to believe whatever they come up with next - but it'll be hard to do so :confused:

The only thing that the latest mention (River) shows is that there is STILL a limit, so that seems to blow the whole 'time lock on the Timelords on Gallifrey makes it all redundant' theory out of the water.
  • EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spence1115 wrote: »
    Considering it temporarily killed Jenny, the fact that River just carries on is impressive.
    ... maybe she had proper time lord training during her brain washing!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I'm more shocked that Time Lords bodies can age example Mels growing from a child to an adult.

Well The Doctor had aged to be quite an elderly man in his first incarnation before he regenerated for the first time.

We have also seen The Master as a child and also we saw The Doctor age in his Tenth incarnation when The Master suspended his ability to regenerate. So it would seem Time Lords age within each incarnation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Spence1115 wrote: »

It's generally considered to be the terraforming gas that brings Jenny back to life and she doesn't regenerate, thats why she looks the same and doesn't change her appearance.