Options

How ar you feeling about Night Terrors? Given it's a Mark Gatiss episode.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seeing as Gatiss' episodes have not been much of a hit among the Doctor Who fans (especially the latest) Some certainly haven't been awful but they are definatley not as good as he is capable of. How do you feel this one will be?

Previous Gatiss episodes -
The Unquiet Dead
The Idiot's Lantern
Victory of the Daleks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked the first two he wrote.

This one looks great
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it. I didn't like The Idot's Lantern at all (in fact I found the handling of some themes quite offensive) but nonetheless I think Gatiss is a good writer who has at times been hampered somewhat by the paramaters he has been asked to write within.

I think The Unquiet Dead is a bit of a gem and I really don't mind Victory at all, in fact had it been a two parter I think it would have been really excellent.

In the case of this story, it looks pretty chilling.

I do sometimes think we get to hung up on who is writing what episode and make often times unfair judgements based on them them in advance that in turn can transfer to how we view the episode when it airs.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Unquiet Dead was credited to Gatiss but the final script was heavily if not 100% rewritten by RTD, according to The Writer's Tale.

Victory of the Daleks is probably the worst nu who episode but I wouldn't blame Gatiss for that really; you never know who did what.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't understand all the Gatiss hate. I think it will be very good.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see River in the preview. *not satisfied*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like "The Idiot's Lantern" and "The Unquiet Dead". I also liked the first 3/4 of "Victory..." - an episode that I feel suffered more from poor direction and rubbish daleks at the end more than the actual script itself. I get the impression that we're in for a series-arc-lite episode next week, which is what a lot of people have been calling for of late. Although I'm enjoying the arc, I think it'll be quite refreshing to take a break from it next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Like "The Idiot's Lantern" and "The Unquiet Dead". I also liked the first 3/4 of "Victory..." - an episode that I feel suffered more from poor direction and rubbish daleks at the end more than the actual script itself. I get the impression that we're in for a series-arc-lite episode next week, which is what a lot of people have been calling for of late. Although I'm enjoying the arc, I think it'll be quite refreshing to take a break from it next week.
    Completely agree, next week will be a separate entity. While I dont think that will be a bad thing, it is going to extend the already tortuous wait for series arc answers!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    I didn't see River in the preview. *not satisfied*

Night Terrors was originally episode 3 in the running order, so no River. It was quite late in the day it swapped with the pirate episode IIRC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Mark, looks like it will be a different change in pace for the show after a mind blowing LKH! It looks set to be more macabre than ever!

Love his writing and LOVED the Daleks episode last year, very overlooked i feel....thatsaid not keen overtly on the previous two episodes.

But definitely cannot wait for this one, will need cushions definitely!

glad they changed around the episode order too! Pirates wouldnt have felt right! Need a scary change of pace :)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me this looks like the first 'true' Mark Gatiss episode. The Unquiet Dead was great but, like someone else said, RTD had to strip the episode back. The less said about The Idiot's Lantern and Victory... the better! Though in both case Mark wasn't wholly to blame for the lameness on display.

This time out, it looks like pure, unadulterated Gatiss! At last! He's written some amazing television (and books), just not brought that amazing to new Who yet. Now is the time!
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not liked Gattis's previous stories but I am optimistic about this one. To be honest, scary dolls are so made for Doctor Who it will be hard to go too wrong.

Moffatt gets the best out of the writers. I think even Toby Whithouse's script is going to be good.

Really looking forward to the forthcoming episodes now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Spooky children wearing freaky masks....hmmmmm......now THERES an original idea!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    Spooky children wearing freaky masks....hmmmmm......now THERES an original idea!

:rolleyes:

I swear the lot of them are playing on my childhood fears.

THe flipping gas mask children (strange phobia of WW2)
    the stone angels thing (I was always scared they were going to grab me when I wasn't looking)

Now dummies/ dolls!

Can we add clowns too to finish me off?

Your going to tell me they are clown dolls or something arn't you.

Then a good moth episode.

As a last one you could do ancient Eygptian stuff because that freaks me out too.
  • Options
    Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    To be perfectly honest, I don't pay attention to who pens individual episodes.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be perfectly honest, I don't pay attention to who pens individual episodes.

Because somewhere a crime is occurring?

I was looking forward to it based on the 'next time' trailer. Conversely I view Mark Gatiss with the least regard possible - I've genuinely no idea how he keep getting commissioned. So I'll downgrade myself to cautious and hope that it surprises me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind Victory of the Daleks, except the new Dalek reveal, and The Idiot's Lantern was shown on my birthday so I'll always have a soft spot for it. I thought that The Unquiet Dead was a great episode; one of the few Doctor Who stories that actually scared me. I hope this one is the same!
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want to like Mark Gattiss' stuff because he's clearly a huge fan, but I've found every episode he's written so far to be a bit of a letdown. I'm hopeful about this one based on the trailer, but...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Based on the preview, it looks terrifying..but brilliantly so. I've not been a big fan of Mark's Who work, but (as Tom Tit) said, Moffat gets the best out of his writers. and if it's anything like the Sherlock episode he wrote, it should be awesome.

So yeah, I'm somewhat optimistic. :D
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to this one far more than Let's Kill Hitler, which to be frank was plain rubbish.

Go Mark! This looks like proper traditional Doctor Who to me.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, as ever with a Gatiss episode, I want to like it, but I don't know why, I just can't. To me, it always feels like he's trying to be too clever (something that showed very much in his very-under-par Sherlock episode) - its almost as if he wants to be like Moffat.

The Unquiet Dead - Ghosts & 'Zombies' - hardly original, but ok nonetheless - his best episode as yet (although not that brilliant it has to be said)

The Idiot's Lantern - Maureen Lipman was the only thing that saved this episode for me - very good performance from her. Elsewhere, it was just too self-indulgent in the whole 10/Rose relationship.

Victory of the Daleks - Just awful to me - the premise was good, but not very well executed. 11 didn't feel very like 11 - dialogue was more like 10 - apart from the Jammy Dodger bit. I didn't mind the new Daleks, but the whole idea was not at all done well - the worst episode of the Moffat era by far to me.

Night Terrors - now, it does look good from all promotional pictures and trailers and feels more like a natural Gattis script, but as ever, I'm half-dreading it and half not because I want to like Gatiss episodes, but I've never done so far.

Let's hope Night Terrors changes my mind on him...
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    I view Mark Gatiss with the least regard possible - I've genuinely no idea how he keep getting commissioned.

He's friends with Moffatt and has always schmoozed well around the show. I agree his writing talents aren't astonishing.

But I really do think he can't go wrong with this episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear the lot of them are playing on my childhood fears.

THe flipping gas mask children (strange phobia of WW2)
    the stone angels thing (I was always scared they were going to grab me when I wasn't looking)

Now dummies/ dolls!

Can we add clowns too to finish me off?

Your going to tell me they are clown dolls or something arn't you.

Then a good moth episode.

As a last one you could do ancient Eygptian stuff because that freaks me out too.

Same, im not watching next week :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oo, thanks for that!

I think 2 is more likely to be
    punching someone than dying. He does K.O quite a few people? What is it like... two?

I would imagine 5 is the opening scene (from each story).
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty obvious that this is a filler ep. As long as its better than the Pirates 1 it should be fine. Yeah, RTD re wrote most of the Unquiet Dead, and the Idiot's Lantern might have been a bit better if it wasn't in the midst of the annoying Tenth Doctor/Rose partnership.