Options

TV Reception

Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
Forum Member
Anyone else having awful TV reception for Freeview? I've retuned the TV several times with varying success, and in the morning when I turn it on the channels in the higher numbers just tell me 'no signal' or words to that affect!

I read that the weather pressure can affect the signal and it's been very high for a few days now so I am hoping this is the reason. Does this mean every time we have good weather my TV will go peculiar?

If you go to digitaluk it gives you a list of channels in your own area and if reception is good or variable. I can receive all the 'good' ones. Please assure me it's not just us here in North Oxon! :confused:

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Why oh why oh why did you retune!!!?? :)

Retuning when you lose channels should never ever be the first thing you do. It must only be done once every other possible cause has been eliminated. Now you have retuned you have lost all the tuning data for the channels so have no idea if the true reason for the loss has been corrected or not.

There are adverse atmospheric conditions affecting reception in many parts of the south east in particular. Especially earlier on this week. Retuning will have no effect whatsoever on that. The only thing you can do is ensure that your aerial system is in good working order then just sit it out and wait for the conditions to return to normal.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Apparently there's been problems with reception from Waltham, and Sutton Coldfield, earlier this week - no idea if it was weather problems or what?.

But as Chris said, what you DON'T want to do is go off randomly retuning sets without cause, and certainly not when there's a reception problem.
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Thanks Chris and Nige. I might add that retuning did bring the picture back and the channels still appear on my EPG so I hope I've not done too much damage. Too late now anyway.

It's just that we've had weather like this before (not often admittedly!) and I don't recall losing the channels to the extent they're lost this time around. And how is that our downstairs TV can still receive them but not the two upstairs ones? (Downstairs TV also has Sky connection but is still connected to roof aerial as well for Freeview.)

PS Our transmitter is the Oxford one.