Options

Channel mix up.

dandydandy Posts: 87
Forum Member
I live in South Somerset and I think Mendip is where my signal comes from.
Last night I had a message to update the channels and when I did I found 12 HD channels instead of six and loads more channels that I've never got before. I was very happy about that but an hour later when I switched the tv on again there was no signal for the new channels where before there was a full signal and great picture.
So I updated again and they all had vanished.
Does anyone know how this mystery happened and does it mean I might still get them.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Vince800Vince800 Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atmospherics, you were probably picking up a distant transmitter. As the conditions went back to normal you were no longer able to receive the distant transmitter.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vince800 wrote: »
    Atmospherics, you were probably picking up a distant transmitter. As the conditions went back to normal you were no longer able to receive the distant transmitter.

Agreed.

The atmospheric conditions have been playing merry hell with reception for a good part of this week. So entirely possible that the OP found another transmitter sneaking in. Though Mendip does have the extra COM7/8 muxes so dandy might be able to get all the HD channels on Freeview anyway.

Could also be receiving Stockland Hill of course which doesn't have COM 7/8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your answers. What a shame as I couldn't believe my luck. Oh well maybe it'll happen one day :)
  • Options
    ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely atmospherics. These muxes were never really intended for your location. I would advise you to keep scanning this summer if your interested in receiving distant signals. In the past I have received digital TV from Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. Only last night my DAB radio picked up muxes from all these countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dandy wrote: »
    Thanks for your answers. What a shame as I couldn't believe my luck. Oh well maybe it'll happen one day :)
    If you don't normally get the COM 7/8 muxes that carry services such as BBC4 HD now then you probably never will. The only possibility of getting the services carried by those muxes is if there is a DSO 2 where some/all the current DVB-T muxes are converted to DVB-T2 so they can carry more services, including more HD channels.

But basically for the time being the COM7/8 rollout is complete and is very unlikely to expand.
  • Options
    StorageHuntersStorageHunters Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    If you set your freeview box or TV to a different country ie Ireland and turn off LCN if you have that option recan and you'll get everything you can receive in no particular order.
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Welsh channels also get in to the Yeovil area even without the atmospheric conditions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    StorageHunters. That sounds like a good idea but I don't know what LCN means. Thanks.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you set your freeview box or TV to a different country ie Ireland and turn off LCN if you have that option recan and you'll get everything you can receive in no particular order.

They would be in the order they were scanned in, eg first mux scanned then the order within that mux and so on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dandy wrote: »
    StorageHunters. That sounds like a good idea but I don't know what LCN means. Thanks.

It's a waste of time. It won't give you any more or different channels to the ones you have now. All it means is it will be harder to find them as BBC 1 for example may end up on channel 50 not 1.

LCN is the channel number you punch into the remote to select a channel, in very crude terms.
  • Options
    StorageHuntersStorageHunters Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    It's not completely a waste of time you might get some test cards.
    I like test cards.:)