Londoners - advice please

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
Forum Member
Morning all

I am looking for some impartial advice here.

I am a 27 year old female, currently teaching abroad. I am living in Luxembourg and earning a good wage (on about 40,000 a year). However living costs are very high and I am just not happy where I am. I find the place lovely but more suited to someone with a family etc. I am single and I miss the buzz of big citylife.

I am always wanted to live in London, since I first went there 10 years ago. I am so tempted to quit my job and move there.

What I want to know is - would I be making a mistake? I know I would be less well off. I am happy to flatshare but would like to live somewhere young and vibrant, preferably central London. I know it is expensive but I kinda feel I am only young once and just to go for it.

I would love it if people who already live there could get me a realistic idea of how it would really be.

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The young and vibrant buzz of big city life is only great if you can afford to participate, rather than just observe it from the peripheries.

Start with your job options, and research the kind of work you could realistically hope to get, - apply for them. See what happens, and that should inform what kind of salary you could attain. At the same time, research your accommodation options: how are you defining "central" London?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Well I would do a teaching job, I have been qualified around 5 years and have experience of all different kinds of schools so hopefully could get a job fairly easily. I was thinking of the likes of Camden?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you considered other big cities where you may get the same social life but the cost of living may be more affordable? A lot of Londoners in key worker jobs like teaching find it very hard to live near where they work.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scot_babe wrote: »
    Well I would do a teaching job, I have been qualified around 5 years and have experience of all different kinds of schools so hopefully could get a job fairly easily. I was thinking of the likes of Camden?

Depends what sort of teaching you mean - what age groups and what subjects. Some teachers are finding it very hard to get jobs at the moment and squeezed education budgets mean that schools aren't hiring unless they absolutely have to. They're actually dropping subjects in order to save money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I am a Primary Teacher. Got the impression from friends there were jobs but could be wrong. I have lived in other cities before and liked them but always got itchy feet. Feel I need to get the London thing out of my system!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think claire is right OP. The recession is biting big time here and I suspect that you will really struggle to find a good job with a good wage and a decent place to live in this climate. If I had a good job on that sort of salary I think I would stick it out personally.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just had a look and there are about 10 primary jobs going in all of London at the moment. Last time someone I know went for a job in primary, 30 other people applied for it too. Primary is probably the hardest to find a job in at the mo tbh.
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some primary teaching jobs in London but they're all in the "dodgier" areas or on the outskirts in places like Dagenham. Probably very different to teaching in Luxembourg! You could always do maternity cover or supply teaching but then that's very precarious, of course.

If you did get a teaching job, I think Camden would be way out of your price range I'm afraid, unless you're happy living in a bedsit. If you seriously want to do it, I'd suggest you move south of the river. Still expensive, but usually cheaper than north London.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned, its expensive to live in the city and you will probably need to get tubes and busses all the time. London is very crowded too.

What about a different city in the UK, most cities have just as great nightlife and are well connected. Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle etc etc
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally just moved to London, a week ago. Got bored of my job so went, totally alone, flatsharing.

Be prepared to look at a lot of shite places, it took me about 5 visits and 30 viewings until I found a goodun! Trendy areas at the minute seem to be Old Street/Shoreditch/Bethnal Green and there are some amazing bars and stuff in the area.

Was totally homesick the first few days, but it gets better, especially when you start working. Still unsure if it was a wise move, but if I hadn't have done it, I'd never know! I'll keep you posted ;)

Where I am I'm paying around £400 a month, plus bills. If you're looking more central, prepare to pay around £150ish a week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd try Birmingham. They're encouraging young professionals there, there are some lovely flats for rent at about £500 per month, and the area beside the canal is beautiful. Lots to do in the city centre too.