Options

Nov 12th 1978; BBC Radio Wales Starts Broadcasting

old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Happy 34th Birthday to Radio Wales which started broadcasting on November 12th 1978 with Anita Morgan
presenting AM.

Radio Scotland had to wait another week. (23/11/1978)

Comments

• Options
    crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Wales has a massive signal,i can hear it clearly on 882 khz from Washford,and 657 khz from Wrexham,i can hear it in mono on 95.4 FM as well,so happy birthday to an entertaining station,which really does a good job of promoting all that is great about Wales!
  • Options
    spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    Happy 34th Birthday to Radio Wales which started broadcasting on November 12th 1978 with Anita Morgan
    presenting AM.

Radio Scotland had to wait another week. (23/11/1978)

I always enjoyed AM particularly when it was presented by Chris Stuart.
    It's true what Crusher has said above, Radio Wales has always produced some great programming which is both diverse and interesting - far better than the TV programmes that they have produced over the years.
  • Options
    882657882657 Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Wales is a very good station. However its DAB and FM coverage of Wales is very poor. Its AM signal covers 98% of the country. The policy of rubbishing A M and promoting DAB is a nonsense promoted by the usual blinkered no nothings who live with the M 25.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Wales has a massive signal,i can hear it clearly on 882 khz from Washford,and 657 khz from Wrexham,i can hear it in mono on 95.4 FM as well,so happy birthday to an entertaining station,which really does a good job of promoting all that is great about Wales!

882 KHz comes in weak, but listenable here in N.Yorks (even in daylight hour). Really gets out well. So does R.Scotland on 810Khz at a similar signal strength.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's some great stuff on Radio Wales but also presenters like Owen Money and Chris Needs that I find excruciating.

I always enjoy Alan Thompson's evening show when I get a chance to listen and I wish they would use the legend that is Mal Pope a little better (that 'prestigious' 5am on a Saturday morning slot is seemingly his for evermore).
  • Options
    crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    There's some great stuff on Radio Wales but also presenters like Owen Money and Chris Needs that I find excruciating.

I always enjoy Alan Thompson's evening show when I get a chance to listen and I wish they would use the legend that is Mal Pope a little better (that 'prestigious' 5am on a Saturday morning slot is seemingly his for evermore).

What Owen Money and Chris Needs are doing is having a laugh,and not taking life too seriously,some of the stuff is silly,but still entertaining,i certainly enjoy Chris Needs.:D
  • Options
    rodbourniterodbournite Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I listen in Swindon mainly via TV and online, but I can get it on 882 quite well and 103.9 FM (better the farher West I Go). Great news coverage and good programmes like Wales at Work, Country Focus and Sunday Supplement. Should be on national DAB and or freeview along with Radio Scotland and Ulster.
  • Options
    marlin68marlin68 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still not available here on DAB, you would think they would have made it nationally available in Wales at least (on DAB).

I used to enjoy Adam Walton's technology show Mousemat, a shame that programme ended.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be on national DAB and or freeview along with Radio Scotland and Ulster.

Slightly off topic this, but does anyone remember a proposal - in the mid 1980's - to broadcast radios Wales, Ulster and Scotland on AM from Brookmans Park? The thinking was that there are more Scottish people in London than there are in Edinburgh, More Welsh in London etc. etc.
    The AM frequencies of 810, 882 and 1341 are allocated for use anywhere in the UK, and co-channel interference with the transmitters in the "home" country was not likely to be much of an issue although reception of Wales from Washford would be affected along the M4 corridor in England.
    For whatever reason it didn't happen. I'm guessing that cost would have been the reason, but in the scheme of things I can't imagine it would have been that expensive to install three x 10Kw transmitters and combiners. In the pre-internet/satellite age, would a feed of these three stations have been available in London?
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    Slightly off topic this, but does anyone remember a proposal - in the mid 1980's - to broadcast radios Wales, Ulster and Scotland on AM from Brookmans Park? The thinking was that there are more Scottish people in London than there are in Edinburgh, More Welsh in London etc. etc.
    The AM frequencies of 810, 882 and 1341 are allocated for use anywhere in the UK, and co-channel interference with the transmitters in the "home" country was not likely to be much of an issue although reception of Wales from Washford would be affected along the M4 corridor in England.
    For whatever reason it didn't happen. I'm guessing that cost would have been the reason, but in the scheme of things I can't imagine it would have been that expensive to install three x 10Kw transmitters and combiners. In the pre-internet/satellite age, would a feed of these three stations have been available in London?

More of an issue would have been matching the three new frequencies to the masts/aerials at Brookmans Park. Not impossible, but very expensive I suspect ?
  • Options
    Rabbit RabbitRabbit Rabbit Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    More of an issue would have been matching the three new frequencies to the masts/aerials at Brookmans Park. Not impossible, but very expensive I suspect ?

810 and 882kHz would have been OK but 1341 would have been more difficult; it might have been easier to add a sloping wire radiator or similiar off another tower plus some reject filters for this frequency.

I don't recall this and am not sure 10kW would have been sufficient for "London".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »

It didn't happen because there was never a proposal.

You have to understand that there are sensitive political issues with all three networks. In a couple of words they are hot potatoes.

If there had been the money available it would have been spent in the stations.

It's worth appreciating that all three provide a lot more output for less money than 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    882 KHz comes in weak, but listenable here in N.Yorks (even in daylight hour). Really gets out well. So does R.Scotland on 810Khz at a similar signal strength.

I suspect you would have guessed that the 882kHz signal you are receiving in North Yorks would be from the Penmon transmitter on Anglesey rather than Washford.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    882657 wrote: »
    Radio Wales is a very good station. However its DAB and FM coverage of Wales is very poor. Its AM signal covers 98% of the country. The policy of rubbishing A M and promoting DAB is a nonsense promoted by the usual blinkered no nothings who live with the M 25.

To be fair the FM coverage has improved considerably in the past year due to an expansion of 103.9 in south east Wales and with the demise in 2013 of the MXR Wales & Severn Estuary mux the position on DAB coverage should be greatly inproved too particularly in the south Wales valleys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spanners wrote: »
    I suspect you would have guessed that the 882kHz signal you are receiving in North Yorks would be from the Penmon transmitter on Anglesey rather than Washford.

Which in the early days created null points where the signal cancelled out in mid Wales.
  • Options
    882657882657 Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spanners. I dont see how the closure of the Severn Estuary MXR will help DAB Radio Wales. It will cost us LBC in south Wales which I sometimes listen to.
    Its a pity they cant put Radio Wales on the BBC National DAB in Wales instead of the Asian Programme.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't happen because there was never a proposal.

You have to understand that there are sensitive political issues with all three networks. In a couple of words they are hot potatoes.

If there had been the money available it would have been spent in the stations.

It's worth appreciating that all three provide a lot more output for less money than 20 years ago.

It may have not been an official proposal, but I certainly remember reading something - may have been in one of the Scottish broadsheets.

What are/were these sensitive political issues? Is it that in the '80's there was a fair bit of annoyance that the BBC was opening local stations is some pretty small towns and cities in England but Scotland, Wales and NI got only one station to cover the whole country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    882657 wrote: »
    Spanners. I dont see how the closure of the Severn Estuary MXR will help DAB Radio Wales. It will cost us LBC in south Wales which I sometimes listen to.
    Its a pity they cant put Radio Wales on the BBC National DAB in Wales instead of the Asian Programme.

It will help expand Radio Wales' reach as the frequency will be reallocated to local mux's. The Cardiff and Newport mux has already been earmarked to expand into the Heads of the Valleys area where MXR have infrastructure so at least they won't have to build new transmitter sites. There was a proposal put forward to put Radio Wales on the National Mux just over one year ago (by Tim Davie as it happens) but that idea it seems has since been dropped. If it did go on the National Mux it would be UK wide as Wales does not have a separate frequency for the BBC National Mux.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which in the early days created null points where the signal cancelled out in mid Wales.

I'm not sure that it would have been that noticeable as the Washford signal faded around Builth Wells and the Penmon signal was much weaker and intended mainly for the North Wales coast, I have struggled to listen to Penmon much beyond Dinas Mawddwy and without the mid-Wales frequencies I doubt if any Radio Wales signal on 882 could have been recieved with any degree of clarity in Mid Wales.
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be on national DAB and or freeview along with Radio Scotland and Ulster.

There's no space, and even if there was they're of very little relevance outside their respective areas. They are not national stations in the sense that they serve the whole UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJRevitt wrote: »
    There's no space, and even if there was they're of very little relevance outside their respective areas. They are not national stations in the sense that they serve the whole UK.

Hmmm... 600,000 Welsh, 800,000 Scots and a fair few thousand Northern Irish all living in England isn't exactly irrelevant. What is irrelevant is the BBC Asian Service broadcasting in these countries when 96% of Asians live in England!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spanners wrote: »
    Hmmm... 600,000 Welsh, 800,000 Scots and a fair few thousand Northern Irish all living in England isn't exactly irrelevant. What is irrelevant is the BBC Asian Service broadcasting in these countries when 96% of Asians live in England!

But they're all in another country. Broadcasting, in a particular area, terrestrial anyway, should only cater for people who originate from that area, not outsiders. I would hate Radio Wales broadcasting in England on DAB or Freeview.
  • Options
    PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJRevitt wrote: »
    . I would hate Radio Wales broadcasting in England on DAB or Freeview.

Because they're not targeting you?
    So everything else that doesn't target you should also be absent - Heart or Radio 1, for instance - few are targeted by both those services.

And let's be quite clear: if you go to Spain, there should be no 'Radio for ex-pat and tourist' English services allowed to broadcast there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they're not targeting you?
    So everything else that doesn't target you should also be absent - Heart or Radio 1, for instance - few are targeted by both those services.

Not at all, I'm not that keen on Radio 1 or Radio 4, but I would never say they shouldn't be there. They are stations that could suit anyone from any part of the country. Radio Scotland, Wales and Ulster though are generally only aimed at listeners from those areas, not the original inhabitants of other areas. They will have news and sport and features relevant only to their respective nations.
    And let's be quite clear: if you go to Spain, there should be no 'Radio for ex-pat and tourist' English services allowed to broadcast there?

I've never been to Spain so I don't know if there is any, but I wouldn't complain if there wasn't considering it's not my country.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course there are loads there, but as to whether they are officially sanctioned well, that's certainly still a bit of a grey area.

I notice that there is a French radio station now on DAB in London.

Anyway this is moot - you can get Radio Wales virtually anywhere nowadays via Internet Radios, Mobile Phones etc. and of course via Satellite. If you really want to listen you'll find a way.