Ancient Rome

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
Forum Member
✭✭
There was cities that turned into deserts Who here likes to talk about the history of Rome? Great history :D

Comments

• phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to note - Rome was hardly the ONLY civilisation that this happened to...

And the course of Dark Age history meant that the vast majority of Roman cities survived and are still lived in today...albeit in different forms...
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the ones that didn't survive are computerised on the desert :)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    and the ones that didn't survive are computerised on the desert :)

Eh? :confused:
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.............I'm interested in Ancient Rome

Although I did history degrees I never studied any Roman history so it was something I caught up with later in life

That was in the days when I was still reading books, which in itself seems like ancient history now...........

But to compensate for not reading we now have loads and loads of Ancient Rome documentaries on TV.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swingaleg - see my suggestion elsewhere ;) BBC3 or 4 or yesterday....I can't remember which!...is repeating the few-years-recent BBC "Ancient Rome" series of docudramas.

If you don't know them - they're excellent!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swingaleg - see my suggestion elsewhere ;) BBC3 or 4 or yesterday....I can't remember which!...is repeating the few-years-recent BBC "Ancient Rome" series of docudramas.

I do believe I've seen them............but to be honest I'm not a fan of docu-dramas as a genre

I prefer straightforward documentaries

There's an excellent series of German documentaries about Rome that gets shown on one of the cable/satellite chancels with an English voiceover

There's loads of documentaries on the cable channels as well as the excellent BBC3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite part of history. I find the Romans fascinating.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I do like to read some of the works by ancient writers. At times the concepts they deal with seem familiar and rational. The last one I read was by Cicero on the matter of how gods look, function and interact with the world, if they existed at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do believe I've seen them............but to be honest I'm not a fan of docu-dramas as a genre

Normally I'd agree with you - sat through far TOO many docudramas spoiled by using TERRIBLE reenactors or poor production values or atrocious modern camera techniques...but that's what makes that particular BBC production so refreshingly different, the production values....

And of you look closely at credits of each "epsiode" the material is provided/written by one or more of THE preeminent modern historians on the subject...!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

There's an excellent series of German documentaries about Rome that gets shown on one of the cable/satellite chancels with an English voiceover

There's loads of documentaries on the cable channels as well as the excellent BBC3

Me either. I detest them. Give me a good expert, like Mary Beard, just to go around the places and tell me about the history! Beard didn't really go into it much during the documentary on Caligula but the destruction of the Nemi Ships during World War Two was one of the biggest archaeological losses of the 20th century.

I enjoyed Alistair Sooke's series on the treasures of Rome once I got used to be his peculiar persona.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you know that a program yesterday sparked the subject in my mind?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy one?

O god no! :p

THIS one...

"Ancient Rome: The Rise And Fall Of An Empire"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Rome-Rise-Fall-Empire/dp/B000GY8Z2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376000392&sr=8-2&keywords=%22Ancient+Rome%3A+The+Rise+And+Fall+Of+An+Empire%22

...and yes, that IS Frank Gallagher!!! :D
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Eh? :confused:

Computerised on the desert.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the less well known Republican era when Caesar was a young whippersnapper and there was a need for a strong dictator !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah yes, I have that on DVD. Not managed to watch it yet though.

Frank Gallagher always shocks me when he's not Frank Gallagher. I used to be convinced he was actually like that. :o bloody good actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know any good DVDs to get on this subject? I'm intrested in rome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the less well known Republican era when Caesar was a young whippersnapper and there was a need for a strong dictator !!!

Ah, that would be the MARIAN era....:p
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's with all the DVD's? There are thousands of excellent books about Ancient Rome which contain far more and in-depth information than a DVD ever could.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    duplicate post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, that would be the MARIAN era....:p

He started off OK winning all those elections but it went to his head and he eventually lost his marbles. His chums lost more :o

He did a good job with those mules though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm no expert as I dip in and out of learning about Roman history, but I enjoyed Mary Beard's show from BBC2 as it didn't show the usual Emperors stuff, more about the life of the normal people. Discovery have done lots that are available on DVD, they tend to lean towards particular periods so it depends what part you are most interested in.

If you want to move to books at any point (which are better in my opinion) I'm currently enjoying Michael Grants History of Rome. Covers pretty much all of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's with all the DVD's? There are thousands of excellent books about Ancient Rome which contain far more and in-depth information than a DVD ever could.

Yes, but as I noted the BBC series I mentioned was written by the leading historians in each Roman field! ;) The "Constantine" episode for example being written by the historian Peter Heather...and it compares very well with the equivalent material in his written "The Fall Of The Roman Empire"...

And different people want their "history" on different platforms and media ;) I'm not concerned how people get "history" as much the fact that they DO get it...
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would go with Blu-Ray where possible instead - I much prefer watching documentaries in HD.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'm always amused by the dealings they had with the Judean People's Front, or was it the People's Front of Judea?