Options

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Er, why?

You shouldn't just bump old threads unless you have something to contribute

Where does it say that?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does it say that?

Well it's not a constructive post is it? Therefore I'd say it's covered by this.
    Disruption: Unconstructive, off-topic and pointless posts
    Unconstructive posts are posts that contribute nothing to a thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it's not a constructive post is it? Therefore I'd say it's covered by this.

I don't think so
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so

So you're saying that a post just saying 'bump' is constructive?

In what way is it constructive? :confused:
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work for KFC.

The cooks aren't fully trained chefs (shocking I know)

The zingers, hot wings and crispy strips are fried from frozen and not freshly prepared as they would have you believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    I used to work for KFC.

The zingers, hot wings and crispy strips are fried from frozen and not freshly prepared as they would have you believe.

I KNEW IT!!!! :eek:
    :p
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    *paul* wrote: »
    No supermarket bakes their own bread. It is all frozen and part baked elsewhere.[/QUOTE

I worked for Rathbones and we baked tescos and nettos bread. It wasn't frozen it was sent out fresh daily.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    One girl where I work, started off in the cash office and within weeks became a department manager. It was common knowledge she was shagging at least 2 of the senior managers. Its not what you know, its who you know....or in this case who you're prepared to open your legs to.

Something similar happened in a place I once worked. The very pretty girl who answered the phones was suddenly bumped up to a senior sales exec, without having previous experience in that field. Rumors were that she had plenty of experience in other areas...:o
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it is constructive to bump an established popular thread, the creepy and the strange things threads need to be bumped so we can read pages we may have missed.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I remember one busy night it actually broke so we had to wash all glasses by hand, we just have them a quick swill out and that was it.

That was SOP years ago (the 1950s, possibly into the 1960s). *All* pubs used to just swill the glasses out in a bowl of water under the bar. Hot if you were lucky, Fairy Liquid maybe, if you were lucky.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Sainsburys - the whole 'supermarket' thing is a massive front, and is in fact a money laundry for the UKs biggest Meth lab ('allegedly' ;) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's the same thing we had when I worked in a bank branch, the guy who opens up in the morning (i.e. first entry) then sticks something in the window (we used half a playing card) after searching the place to indicate that it's OK for all the other staff to come in. The idea is that if robbers are there, it'll minimise the number of hostages.

It also allows the staff waiting outside to know that there is something wrong and alert the police - if no signal goes up in the window, or the wrong signal does, they know there is something up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I had a job in a pub. If a bottle of fancier, 'better', more expensive whisky ran out, we would often be told to re-fill the bottle with cheap whisky, like Bells or Teachers.

I never had a customer notice and complain!
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I used to work for KFC.

It still won't put me off eating at KFC! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, why?

You shouldn't just bump old threads unless you have something to contribute
    I've been reading all of the posts. It's turned out to be quite an interesting thread therefore I don't just want to let it die, I want as many people to post in it as possible.

If you really have a problem with somebody bumping a thread then I would take a break from here buddy!
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    No supermarket bakes their own bread. It is all frozen and part baked elsewhere.

As mentioned by others, this is definitely incorrect. I used to work in a supermarket, crossiants, danish pastries, doughnuts, yes, but actual loaves of bread were all baked from scratch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the Morrisons supermarket near me you can actually see them making the bread from scratch sometimes. And cakes too.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hand finished Pine furniture.

I used to work part-time for a chap who ran a pine furniture shop in my home town. All the guys who ran similar store in Edinburgh hated him, because he was severely undercutting their prices; he was typically at 50-75% of the price they were selling the furniture at.

But here's the thing.

Most of the stuff was flat-pack. We would build it in the back of the shop. There was nothing "quality" about the furniture at all, apart from the stain and wax finish we would apply ourselves. The timber was often full of flaws and would splinter/break as we put it together.

And the price? Even at the massive prices difference we were selling stuff when compared to the stores in Edinburgh, the markup was still 100%.

I remember he got a hold of a line of very nice desks, which again, were flat pack. They were made from very heavy pine, and were beautiful when put together. The only thing was, the owner would market them as being made by German craftsmen despite being cut by machines in Poland. When I asked him about this, his response was "well...that bit of Poland USED to be part of Germany. So it's not really a lie".

Oh...and there was the usual 100% markup on price with those desks. We sold out of all of our stock in days.
  • Options
    RootsFranRootsFran Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Findus make Ikea's meatballs
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    In the Morrisons supermarket near me you can actually see them making the bread from scratch sometimes. And cakes too.
    You can at my local Morrisons supermarket too! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    Hand finished Pine furniture.

I used to work part-time for a chap who ran a pine furniture shop in my home town. All the guys who ran similar store in Edinburgh hated him, because he was severely undercutting their prices; he was typically at 50-75% of the price they were selling the furniture at.

But here's the thing.

Most of the stuff was flat-pack. We would build it in the back of the shop. There was nothing "quality" about the furniture at all, apart from the stain and wax finish we would apply ourselves. The timber was often full of flaws and would splinter/break as we put it together.

And the price? Even at the massive prices difference we were selling stuff when compared to the stores in Edinburgh, the markup was still 100%.

I remember he got a hold of a line of very nice desks, which again, were flat pack. They were made from very heavy pine, and were beautiful when put together. The only thing was, the owner would market them as being made by German craftsmen despite being cut by machines in Poland. When I asked him about this, his response was "well...that bit of Poland USED to be part of Germany. So it's not really a lie".

Oh...and there was the usual 100% markup on price with those desks. We sold out of all of our stock in days.
    I think most of the smaller businesses lie a little bit in order to try to claw back some of the market share taken from them by the big retailers. There's a shop around the corner and the guy sells fridges and there's nothing wrong with the guy but sometimes I look at the condition of the shop and think I'll go elsewhere.
    RootsFran wrote: »
    Findus make Ikea's meatballs
    Those meatballs are so nice.
    xp95 wrote: »
    You can at my local Morrisons supermarket too! :cool:
    /bro :cool:
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have and do work in Social Services and guess what... we really don't make decisions in 'secret courts', and there really aren't 'adoption targets' with 'financial incentives'. Oh hang on, we'd love people to know that, actually, except that so many prefer to remain wilfully ignorant and particularly gullible to tabloid tripe to the contrary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They cut frontline NHS services but still spend top dollar on useless ****ers who shuffle paper, chair meetings about nothing important and couldnt organise a blowjob in a brothel. These jokers then cut back on staff who actually do save lives daily.
    They then spend the savings on decorating their offices and hiring similar ****tards that do **** all useful.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    I bet there're things in the Co-Op's files that'd be very embarrassing to the company if they were made public.

haha! Psychic!:D:D
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    The donated stuff in charity shops is basically the junk the warehouse and shop staff didn't want for free.
    That's certainly not the case in the store I run.
    Maybe that happened at the institution where you worked...

But I've an occasional ride who has managed charity shops for two different charities, and the reason that "designer" goods of any sort - sprts bags, handbags, clothing - isn't put out on the shelves is because if any of it turned out to be faked or knock-off designer labels, the charity concerned could be...and several in the past HAD been!...taken to court for selling counterfeit goods!

Instead they bin designer goods :(
    Can't speak for any other charity, but this is unheard of within ours.