Options

TV warranty?

2»

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    If my tv becomes faulty what's to stop me getting a warranty then after a month or however long you have to wait and ring up about my tv. They wouldn't know how long its been faulty.

Don't most warranties have to be got within a certain amount of time from the purchase date?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I got my TV from curry's I got a warranty which is 9.50 a month. I'm just wondering if its worth it since I get 12 month anyway. Have read a lot of bad reviews of know how who I think is where it comes from. Is there anyone out there who has had positive experience with them?

I bought my first HDTV from Currys/PCWorld back in 2006, and took out their Coverplan/Whateverhappens or whatever it was called at the time.

A few years later, the TV developed a fault, and was picked up by the warranty people.

After having my TV for a couple of weeks, they said there was nothing wrong and that it would be sent back to me.

I wasted time off work for the day they said it would come, and wasted a lot of time on the phone trying to find out WTF it was, only to eventually discover that they had somehow "lost" it.

Still, thanks to their cock-up I ended up getting a much nicer and newer replacement for free.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    First your honesty would prevent you doing that wouldn't it?

Second you can only buy warrantees on new equipment. If it was that new you would be covered by statuary rights anyway.

Surely that can't be right - Richer Sounds offer extended warranties on open box/ex demo gear, in fact anything that is under 7yrs old (think its 7yrs could be 6yrs).

Warranty Direct do warranties for electrical items no older than 7yrs too.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Surely that can't be right - Richer Sounds offer extended warranties on open box/ex demo gear, in fact anything that is under 7yrs old (think its 7yrs could be 6yrs).

Warranty Direct do warranties for electrical items no older than 7yrs too.

Various companies offer insurance schemes (not warranties) on older equipment, but it obviously costs considerably more - 'generally' you need to take out an extended warranty within 30 days or so of purchase (from new). Although often you are offered an extended warranty just before it's 12 months old (which is why they want you to return the guarantee card).

Open box/ex-demo gear is no problem, as it's 'new' not second hand, and is treated exactly as a new item for extended warranties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Various companies offer insurance schemes (not warranties) on older equipment, but it obviously costs considerably more - 'generally' you need to take out an extended warranty within 30 days or so of purchase (from new). Although often you are offered an extended warranty just before it's 12 months old (which is why they want you to return the guarantee card).

Open box/ex-demo gear is no problem, as it's 'new' not second hand, and is treated exactly as a new item for extended warranties.
    Not in all cases.

Richer Sounds policy is you can return the item within 14 days for a full refund providing goods are returned in as good a new condition with all packaging and all accessories. These can then be found on their clearance offers described as open box and the reason why declared, ultimately they will be second hand, RS will offer you a 5yr extended warranty for these items.

Other items in there clearance offers have been sold and returned faulty, these are then repaired and sold as open box but declared as a serviced item, RS will offer you a 5yr extended warranty for these items too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not in all cases.

Richer Sounds policy is you can return the item within 14 days for a full refund providing goods are returned in as good a new condition with all packaging and all accessories. These can then be found on their clearance offers described as open box and the reason why declared, ultimately they will be second hand, RS will offer you a 5yr extended warranty for these items.

Other items in there clearance offers have been sold and returned faulty, these are then repaired and sold as open box but declared as a serviced item, RS will offer you a 5yr extended warranty for these items too.

Again, both are 'graded' items, and treated exactly the same as brand new for the purposes of third party extended warranties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, both are 'graded' items, and treated exactly the same as brand new for the purposes of third party extended warranties.

"Treated as new", but technically they are second hand goods as they have been previously owned.

So extended warranties don't just apply to first hand bought items.....

From what I can see there is no hard and fast rule here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Treated as new", but technically they are second hand goods as they have been previously owned.

So extended warranties don't just apply to first hand bought items.....

From what I can see there is no hard and fast rule here.

Basically items have to be 'new', but graded stock is considered 'new' - it's a pretty simple concept.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    You'd probably be better off putting that £9.50 a month into a savings account.
    Obviously it's a risk to take after the initial warranty period has ended, but in most cases (well at least in my experience) a new TV should last at the least 5 years if not a lot more which in that time you've saved up enough to buy a new one if necessary.

No risk at all. Unless physically damaged or the retailer goes under, the SOGA will cover any electrical item for 6 years from the date of purchase, regardless of how long the warranty period is. If it's 7 years old or over, you've probably got to the stage where the TV or whatever doesn't have very much - if anything - left to give, so probably new TV time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    the SOGA will cover any electrical item for 6 years from the date of purchase, regardless of how long the warranty period is.

I suggest you try reading the SOGA :D

It doesn't provide 'cover' at all, basically it simply gives you the right to take the retailer to court where YOU have to prove a 'manufacturing defect'. However, threatening to do that may well get you a result, as it would cost the retailer more to go to court to defend - even though it's quite possible they would win (but they can't be awarded costs in small claims court even if they did).

But even assuming you do win, you are likely to only get awarded a portion of the cost, depending on various things the court takes in to account.

Personally, if I was really 'pissed off' I'd take them to small claims court regardless, as the relatively small cost would be worth it for the expense incurred by the retailer :D
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    When I got my TV from curry's I got a warranty which is 9.50 a month. I'm just wondering if its worth it since I get 12 month anyway. Have read a lot of bad reviews of know how who I think is where it comes from. Is there anyone out there who has had positive experience with them?

Yes.

I've had a positive experience from KnowHow (although at first it didn't seem like it)

I bought a new oven for the house I moved into in 2008. I fancied a really posh one at £900. They only had the one on display and after careful checking that it wasn't damaged and had all the accessories bought it for £750. I was persuaded to buy the extended (and ongoing) warranty for £6 per month so knew i would be paying £360 over 5 years BUT realised that repairs could be a lot more than that.

2 weeks before I believed the warranty would run out (August last year) the grill failed. I called KnowHow who sent an engineer to repair the grill (unfortunately he brought the wrong part) and showed me the halogen type thing that was fitted rather than just a folded element. He said he would return. To cut a long story short the computer at KnowHow had the wrong part identified on the computer so it took a further two visits to fix the grill.

However, under their three strikes policy if it isn't repaired you get a new oven I was offered the direct replacement, latest, model.

Perhaps I should have taken them up on it, but I felt a little guilty at claiming a new oven when I'd bought the original one so cheaply AND I had the engineer, with the correct part, ready to fix it.

So I told him just to fix it.. It is such a complex oven, that even their senior engineer took three hours to fit the new part (the entire hob had to come out) I even looked at the part on line. The grill element alone is £169.20.

If I'd just had it repaired the call out fee and labour would have been not far off what I'd paid for the warranty. I then found out it was an ongoing thing. So I kept it going.

Last week, the fan in the main oven stopped working. I called KnowHow, they looked my records up on the system and without asking have said they would supply a new oven given the history I've had to date. So a brand new £900 oven is being installed on Saturday.

I feel I've had my moneys worth, and on a big ticket item wouldn't hesitate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I feel I've had my moneys worth, and on a big ticket item wouldn't hesitate.

It's like any insurance, it 'can' be invaluable, but (by the very way insurance works) mostly it's just a drain for nothing back.

If you had bought ten such cookers, you would have been better off putting the money away each month that the extended warranties would cost - effectively doing your own 'insurance' - but you need a reasonable number of items to do that.

For a 'one off' expensive item it can be worth it, as in your case - and it's nice to hear a good story about extended warranties for a change :D
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Always good to hear from you Nigel.

I normally do have a "fund" that I use for my own insurance. But got caught out, once, when greed overcame me.

I had insurance for the cats, but when the company I was with got bought out, overnight the premium trippled. So, with good intent I started putting the original amount in a savings account for such a time when it was (hopefully not) needed.

Then Glenn Croft offered me a pair of custom OTL valve amps. Guess where the money came from?

Cats? What cats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's like any insurance, it 'can' be invaluable, but (by the very way insurance works) mostly it's just a drain for nothing back.

If you had bought ten such cookers, you would have been better off putting the money away each month that the extended warranties would cost - effectively doing your own 'insurance' - but you need a reasonable number of items to do that.

For a 'one off' expensive item it can be worth it, as in your case - and it's nice to hear a good story about extended warranties for a change :D

Richer Sounds will give you a full refund if you don't use the extended warranty over the 5yrs, even if you purchase graded goods, second hand, pre owned, faulty repaired items considered or treated as new - win win. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Cats? What cats?

There's always a sack and a bucket full of water! :p

And before I get inundated with complaints - I'm a cat lover, and have two cats - Pickles and Barnaby :D

Just humour folks!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richer Sounds will give you a full refund if you don't use the extended warranty over the 5yrs, even if you purchase graded goods, second hand, pre owned, faulty repaired items considered or treated as new - win win. :D

Again, check the conditions - it only applies to some items.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, check the conditions - it only applies to some items.

Yes, but those items that are covered the customer will get a full refund if unused.

For items not covered you can sign up to their VIP club (which is free) and you'll get a free 5yr extended warranty on all TV's and Projectors.

So in both cases you have cover if the item's faulty within 5yrs, your money back on the former if unused and the latter costs you rod all.

Just tablets/PC's where you could see "a drain with nothing back" - don't know who would consider buying either of these items from RS anyway.

I'll say something, I'd rather deal with RS than Currys/PC world any day.