Options

Constant Backache...any advice?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the last couple of years I've had what I can only describe as a constant nagging ache in my back kind of like toothache (if that makes sense!).

I have visited the doctor who referred me to Physio which I attended, got exercises, followed through with the programme and still have it! :(

Anyone any advice for me? My posture isn't the greatest so I think this may be a factor. Any tips on improving it? Also, would a trip to the Chiropractor help to give it a pop?

I'm seriously at my wits end. I'm only 29 and don't feel that I should have this kind of pain all the time.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Try Eurythmy therapy. That is excellent for posture.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Ibuprofen and glucosamine 1 hr before bed apparently might help.
  • Options
    snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My back ache has been helped a lot by doing the wii personal trainer .
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Had back ache and pain for years afer injuring it post pregnancy.

It was when I started going to the gym at 35 and was given exercises to strengthen my core muscles that the probelm was solved.

Weak muscles can cause back ache, and back ache can cause a weakening of the muscles. Its a vicious circle, but if you can work on strengthening your core it might help. It worked wonders for me.
  • Options
    upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Chiropractor will definitely be able to help.

there are so many causes of back pain, but they should be able to diagnose the cause and help you fix it.
  • Options
    acousticno3acousticno3 Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    have you been BACK to see your Dr yet and had your bloods tested?

There are many many causes of back pain - so you need to find out the cause before you can have it treated properly. ( your doctor obviously thought it was 'mechanical' back pain - but have you had bloods done to rule out other conditions?

If its caused by nerve pain (which it may be - as you describe it as 'like toothache") - then NSAIDS like Ibuprofen should help - also TENS machines may be beneficial (start low and work up). Hot or cold packs may also help.

You do need a medial review - sometimes NSAIDS dont work so you may need to try amytriptilline, gabapentin or carbamazipine (if its nerve generated).

Sometimes back pain can be a sign of UTI's or kidney infections/stones and very rarely something more serious like myeloma (I am not trying to scare you - but sometimes people just buy painkillers and dont bother looking for the cause of the pain!).

Before you do anything else - see your GP.

Good luck *lisalovesmuse*