Fav Unsuccessful artists

musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
Forum Member
Probs been done before but i am sure a revamp wouldn't be a crime

What artists do you like that don't really see success?

Mine are

Kelis (she has had some single success but her albums are rather good. She has released 5 albums and yet only one of them has ever been certified in the US which was tasty)

Gavin degraw - My favourite male artist of all. His first album did well and he is seen as the guy who did the one tree hill soundtrack. But no one has bothered since and his work since has majorly improved but no one bothers to buy his albums or singles in the US.

Comments

• *Italiagirl**Italiagirl* Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    i like kelis, shame really, i really loved 4th of july and acapella.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Nerina Pallot is amazing. Her albums are top notch brit pop.

Shame she's only ever managed to sniff around the edge of mainstream success.

At least she's getting her stuff heard through writing for the likes of Kylie and Diana Vickers.
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Kat DeLuna - Her album in 2007 with Red One was a solid effort and only her first single saw moderate sucess in USA. She is a strong singer, she got booed for singing the National Anthem too vocally. Even Akon's tried to help on her latest single, but still no chart. I can see her album not being released.

Teairra Mari - Came out the same time as Rihanna and she was tipped to be bigger than her, both on same record label. .. then she is dropped, Ri becomes megastar... then she signs elsewhere and has released about 5 singles non of which have stormed the charts, album push backs, no charting singles of late... but great singer and live performer.

Kelis is massively underrated in the USA... I don't get that!

Eva simons, even Sabrina washington for her last single omg...
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanessa Carlton - Loved her albums, but haven't heard anything about her in a long time :(
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How unsuccesful....Beaverloop were a f*cking amazing band from australia, split after about 3 eps....Choking Victim split up the day they recorded their first album, still went on to be a massive success though....errrr....Me! hahahaha lots of my fave artists would be considered unsuccessful by mainstream chart and sales standards....:o
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Joss Stone. Her last two albums have bombed (although her third did better in the US (broke a record and went gold). No one bothers with Miss Stone anymore.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your definitions of unsuccessful amuse me. How can someone be unsuccessful when their albums are going gold, they've won grammies and had chart success?

No, unsuccessful are the bands who slug away playing small venues to a a small number of dedicated fans, without ever achieving chart success or a huge breakthrough.

And using that PROPER definition of unsuccessful, I'm gonna say Sebastian Bach, the former frontman of Skid Row, deserves more success as a solo artist. Gogol Bordello also are criminally underrated, although they're starting to develop a big cult following.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogol Bordello f*cking rule!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade Ewen and Preeya :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a massive soft spot for early 2000's indie types Easyworld

No one else seemed to apart from me.

:p
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Client

Their first two albums are amazing electropop (purely so, unlike the seemingly prerequisitely cynically-edged 'modern' attempts at the genre). Unfortunately, they sold out with their third album and added acoustics, and it was all a bit blandly poo.
  • EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mangomoon wrote: »
    Vanessa Carlton - Loved her albums, but haven't heard anything about her in a long time :(

This!
  • Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celine dion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Sarah Whatmore :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm slightly confused by some of the artists mentioned here:

Kelis and Joss Stone?

Unsuccesful as in, selling lots of records and getting international mainstream exposure?

• EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I can think of dozens. Some artists come out with one or two awesome albums then disappear (like the Telescopes in the early 90s, who released a slew of excellent singles and an ear-splitting debut album) and some make an entire career and eight albums over a decade with barely anyone noticing them (Six By Seven).

I'm particularly fond of the God Machine who released two brilliant albums in the 90s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Kelly Rowland.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    neel wrote: »
    I have a massive soft spot for early 2000's indie types Easyworld

No one else seemed to apart from me.

Easyworld were great, I was a big fan as well!

Ex lead singer David Ford has done some great solo albums, I saw him live at Latitude this summer and he was brilliant.
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    God, I can think of dozens. Some artists come out with one or two awesome albums then disappear (like the Telescopes in the early 90s, who released a slew of excellent singles and an ear-splitting debut album) and some make an entire career and eight albums over a decade with barely anyone noticing them (Six By Seven).

I'm particularly fond of the God Machine who released two brilliant albums in the 90s.

I loved the God Machine as well, I think sadly one of them died which is why they quit. I'd agree that the two albums they released were brilliant though.

I think a few of my favourite other unsuccessful bands were:

- Minuteman, released one brilliant album in 2002, I seriously thought they were the new Radiohead :D. Now split up.
    - Bikini Atoll, released 2 albums, split up in 2006.
    - Black Car, one album in 2003 or so. Presumably now also split up.
    - Kyte. Not been around long so maybe too early to say they're unsuccessful, but they've released 2 albums yet seem unheard of. Apparently really big in Japan though for some reason.
    - The Veils, still going and 3 great albums, but again still seem unheard of.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That don't see commercial success (or havent in reccent years):

Erykah Badu
    Jill Scott
    Chrisette Michelle
    Ledesi
    Amerie
    Jazmine Sullivan

And I also think that Corinne Bailey rae's last album should have been much more succesful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Josh Dubovie comes to mind, but I still have hope!

Gabriella Cilmi dosn't exactly light the charts on fire, but I LOVE her! I wouldn't call her unsuccessful though, she just never seems to chart with her songs other than the main singles.
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Your definitions of unsuccessful amuse me. How can someone be unsuccessful when their albums are going gold, they've won grammies and had chart success?

No, unsuccessful are the bands who slug away playing small venues to a a small number of dedicated fans, without ever achieving chart success or a huge breakthrough.

And using that PROPER definition of unsuccessful, I'm gonna say Sebastian Bach, the former frontman of Skid Row, deserves more success as a solo artist. Gogol Bordello also are criminally underrated, although they're starting to develop a big cult following.

Who was your comment aimed at? If it was Joss stone who i said, you will see i explainined myself on why i chose her. She's isn't successful anymore therefore unsuccessful.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    Who was your comment aimed at? If it was Joss stone who i said, you will see i explainined myself on why i chose her. She's isn't successful anymore therefore unsuccessful.

How old are you, 12?

Taken from Wikipedia:
    - Joss Stone has sold over 11 million records
    - Her debut album made the Mercury Prize shortlist and went multiplatinum
    - Youngest British female singer to have her album top the UK albums chart
    - Third album debuted at No. 2 on Billboard 200
    - Fourth album (on a new label) debuted at No. 10 on Billboard 200

If you are calling that unsuccessful, you've got a screw loose. Either that or you just haven't heard of any music outside of the charts in your life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Infernal, Eva Simons & Sabrina Washington.

Infernal are just TOO European for us, Eva had nigh on no promotion, and Sabrina was the same. *dislike*
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10,000 Maniacs - not around anymore (THE ORIGINAL LINE UP) but they never charted higher than 47 in singles charts and i don't think thier albums did anything in terms of sales either.

Eva Simons - Silly Boy which peaked at 149 in the UK.

Emila - Bi Big Girl charted at 5 but nothing after that.

Alex Garder - one one song, but its better than most of the shit this year and it only peak at 44 then dropped to 98/.

I think most people i like have had chart success even if it it is a weak chart position or one week stayer.
    Music_box wrote: »
    celine dion

aIN'T SHE SOLD LIKE NEARLY 200 Million Records, her last one sold near enough 4 million worldwide (i believe)
    mangomoon wrote: »

I love that song she sings, 100 miles, its in white chicks.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Client

Their first two albums are amazing electropop (purely so, unlike the seemingly prerequisitely cynically-edged 'modern' attempts at the genre). Unfortunately, they sold out with their third album and added acoustics, and it was all a bit blandly poo.

Good call! I also liked the singer, Sarah Blackwood's previous (equally underrated) group, Dubstar

another criminally unsuccessful artist: Annie, her albums Anniemal, and Don't Stop, are both so classy