Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all just back from holiday and not weighed in for two weeks, waiting until monday morning so have this weekend to try and put right some of the naughtiness I have indulged in !!

:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Start: 15st 2lb
    Last: 14st 2lb
    Today: 14st 1lb Only 1lb gone. Bit disappointed with that. Still going in the right direction though.

Need to focus on the next 10 days and drop a little more. Maybe 0.5 stone by the end of March.

Went for a first run this morning in months. To my surprise I was a touch faster than the last time I went. Still slow but not the big drop backwards I was expecting. Obviously being a stone lighter helps. Not sure my legs will be thinking that tomorrow though.

Start: 15st 2lb
    Last: 14st 1lb
    Today: 14st Only 1lb gone. Once again disappointed with that.

I've failed to get the extra loss I was hoping for. :mad:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 2013 weight loss efforts had stalled but I've been ill for the last week with gastroenteritis (well, if it's good enough for the Queen...) and I've lost 6lbs in a week through hardly being able to eat anything.

I wouldn't recommend it as a way to lose weight but it's certainly very effective!
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Well done Arcadia.

Good luck to Mollipops for not too many consequences of 'naughtiness'.

Congratulations GingerNut. A pound is a pound. I've been losing about a pound a week, and while it seems slow to me, people are now commenting about how much weight I've lost and how quick it was. It all adds up.

Kate36, I'm not too familiar with magnums, but online I found that a 'magnum classic' has 260 kcal. That's a fair amount for a snack, but not so much that it couldn't be fitted into a diet as an occasional treat without breaking the calorific bank. However, the number of calories for different magnums seems to vary a lot, and myfitnesspal says that the 'classic' is 240kcal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/magnum-ice-cream Double caramel is 320kcal though. That would take a bit more calorie penny pinching to fit in.

Striing - I do think people need to find what diet works for them. I personally am careful to avoid too low calorie diets as I'm scared of my body going into starvation mode.

Lostfool - yes, being ill isn't nice, but it does shift the pounds.
    Forum Member
    @Gingernut. I found this weight loss blog when quickly checking on starvation mode before answering Striing. So far, what I see written there seems very sensible, and based on proper research where appropriate. He mentions some research which says why some people without too much fat are unable to lose fat weight quickly. http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/06/how-to-lose-a-pound-of-fat-per-day.php (you've got to read the whole blog entry for it to make complete sense).

@Striing. Here's a blog entry on very low calorie diets and starvation mode. It is from 2007, so the copious academic references could be a bit out of date. But it sounds reasonably convincing to me. http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2007/11/is-starvation-mode-a-myth-no-its-very-real-and-here-is-the-proof.php
    Forum Member
    Sorry to post three times a row in this thread, but I can't edit the above posts.

I'm still looking into 'starvation mode' and while there does seem to be consistent evidence that metabolic rate decreases with extreme (<50% of energy needs) dieting, there is some discussion as to whether the metabolic rate returns quickly after the cessation of dieting or not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11063433

This paper is even older than the ones quoted in the blog above though. Edit: Backed up here: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/3/655.full
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow had to come back to say despite eating more last week I seem to have lost 4lb (couldn't wait until the morning to weigh in LOL) that's over the two weeks so 2lb a week.

Not bad considering I thought I was going to put on !

Seems my vice of pickled beetroot isn't very high calorie after all.
    Forum Member
    Congratulations Molliepops.

Pickled beetroot is about 44kcal/100g, which is pretty low.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    @Gingernut. I found this weight loss blog when quickly checking on starvation mode before answering Striing. So far, what I see written there seems very sensible, and based on proper research where appropriate. He mentions some research which says why some people without too much fat are unable to lose fat weight quickly. http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/06/how-to-lose-a-pound-of-fat-per-day.php (you've got to read the whole blog entry for it to make complete sense).

@Striing. Here's a blog entry on very low calorie diets and starvation mode. It is from 2007, so the copious academic references could be a bit out of date. But it sounds reasonably convincing to me. http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2007/11/is-starvation-mode-a-myth-no-its-very-real-and-here-is-the-proof.php

Thanks for the link WinterFire. Interesting and sensible reading. I'm an obese 196 lbs at the moment so I think I should still be losing 1-2 per week, although being smaller framed will be a factor.

As t least I am maintaining a steady, if slow loss by way of a lifestyle change rather than a comedy diet
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Thanks for the link WinterFire. Interesting and sensible reading. I'm an obese 196 lbs at the moment so I think I should still be losing 1-2 per week, although being smaller framed will be a factor.

As t least I am maintaining a steady, if slow loss by way of a lifestyle change rather than a comedy diet

If you feel that you're not losing weight as fast as you should do, I think there's varied, interesting, and useful information on that blog. As I'm home today I read a fair number of his entries. Certainly there are some things I feel apply to me that I've taken serious note of. I'm not sure about mentioning them as they may not apply to you, but I think he points out quite a few 'traps for young players' in relation to dieting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you feel that you're not losing weight as fast as you should do, I think there's varied, interesting, and useful information on that blog. As I'm home today I read a fair number of his entries. Certainly there are some things I feel apply to me that I've taken serious note of. I'm not sure about mentioning them as they may not apply to you, but I think he points out quite a few 'traps for young players' in relation to dieting.

One thing clear from that blog entry is the idea that there isn't a one size fits all solution.

I need to increase the exercise but I'm snookered at the moment. I have an arm injury that I'm waiting for pgysio help and I've tweaked a hamstring during two recent runs so weights and running are off just now. Not helpful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sympathise with that I have MS so some days it's as much as I can to dress other days I can walk a fair ways. So I adjust my calories to account for the days I do little. But it does just show even doing little exercise it can be possible to carry on losing. Slowly is the best way I have been assured by my doctor and dietician. Much more likely to keep it off.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lostfool - yes, being ill isn't nice, but it does shift the pounds.

The thing is that most of the weight loss when ill is due to dehydration and you soon put that back on when you feel better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise when I updated yesterday it was my second stone lost ! Feel like I should have a celebration it's almost better than Christmas ! :p

But need to find a low calorie treat don't want to risk derailing myself ;)
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Didn't realise when I updated yesterday it was my second stone lost ! Feel like I should have a celebration it's almost better than Christmas ! :p

But need to find a low calorie treat don't want to risk derailing myself ;)

How about some pickled beetroot with a single gold sugar ball cake decoration on top?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an idea LOL :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Jeez I feel so sorry for this guy. No doubt he'll get excess skin because at the fast rate he's loosing fat.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/biggest-loser-yet-tips-scales-in-shows-favour-20130325-2gq5z.html?rand=3710964#comments

Good on you people trying to lose fat.
    Forum Member
    Progrez wrote: »
    Jeez I feel so sorry for this guy. No doubt he'll get excess skin because at the fast rate he's loosing fat.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/biggest-loser-yet-tips-scales-in-shows-favour-20130325-2gq5z.html?rand=3710964#comments

Here's a critique of the show 'The Biggest Loser' http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/09/the-biggest-loser-pros-and-cons-an-in-depth-objective-review-of-televisions-most-popular-reality-show.php In an attempt to be fair the author discusses the pros of the shows, but make sure you read the cons.
    Forum Member
    Here's a critique of the show 'The Biggest Loser' http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/09/the-biggest-loser-pros-and-cons-an-in-depth-objective-review-of-televisions-most-popular-reality-show.php In an attempt to be fair the author discusses the pros of the shows, but make sure you read the cons.
    Totally agree with those cons although, I am not too sure about the fact that they are taught about nutrition since I think they are on a caloric restrictive diet which is not a healthy thing to do if you want to lose fat and gain muscle. Because the nutrition they are getting they are getting from the caloric restriction diet is not matching their exercise routine and therefore most of them lose the fat so quickly and hence why they get that lose skin because it doesn't allow their body to adjust. Exercising for 6 or even 8 hours without eating not enough is down right insane.

I am not too sure if they do gain back the weight they had lost but I've seen it happen to my brother so it could be true but I have no statistical proof on this it's just something I've observed.

One thing I do hate is these scare tactics by the media about personal training and protein powder articles like these makes me to punch the lady who wrote this badly written with no proof article. Its against the law to mislead consumers like this its amazing that people like her get away with this. http://www.theage.com.au/national/health/bodyconscious-teens-take-risks-with-protein-powders-20130323-2gmel.html

In this show trainers are like shouting at the contestants when they shouldn't be abusing them and in real life they NEVER do this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't watch these shows they make weight loss look so hard and painful, the emphasis on gruelling exercise puts me right off even starting a diet. You don't need to suffer I have found you really don't. I do wonder how many people they put of trying though.....
    Forum Member
    I can't watch these shows they make weight loss look so hard and painful, the emphasis on gruelling exercise puts me right off even starting a diet. You don't need to suffer I have found you really don't. I do wonder how many people they put of trying though.....

It's unfortunate that they get away with this. I guess this does put off most people of getting a personal trainer if people are trying to lose fat and so people try to attempt to lose on their own and probably about 70-80% will most likely quit the gym in the first 3 months because most people want quick fast results when it should be done at a slow progressive stage.

I don't know about the UK but over here Physical Education after year 9 its not considered as a compulsory subject I personally think it should be and I think kids need to be taught about how nutrition works because they are definitely not taught here.
    Forum Member

I agree completely. I can go to the gym and have a mild workout. And I can eat what I want, just in limited quantities. As I've said before, it's easier for me than for many other people due to size, gender, and the amount I needed to lose. But the more I read, the more I think that small weight losses each week with a simple calorie limit and mild exercise is what is right for me. I've seen a few minutes of one episode of The Biggest Loser, and think that the show portrays dieting in exactly the wrong way, with people being pushed into exercise regimes which look dangerous to me, and the whole artificial environment being unrepeatable by people in the real world with real lives.
    Forum Member
    Kate36, I'm not too familiar with magnums, but online I found that a 'magnum classic' has 260 kcal. That's a fair amount for a snack, but not so much that it couldn't be fitted into a diet as an occasional treat without breaking the calorific bank.

On another forum, I've heard that Aldi do 'mini' magnum-a-likes. On the other forum, they were being recommended as very nice. They might be lower calorie than real magnums due to their smaller size, and hence easier to fit into a calorie allocation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another forum, I've heard that Aldi do 'mini' magnum-a-likes. On the other forum, they were being recommended as very nice. They might be lower calorie than real magnums due to their smaller size, and hence easier to fit into a calorie allocation.

Most of the flavours seem to be around 170 cals, quite high for something so small !
  • Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Was thinking of joining the gym as the local one also has a swimming pool and sauna that i would use all the time. It would make more financial sense to join the gym as apposed to paying every single time i want to use the gym, swimming and sauna,

Do people feel that exercise or diet is the most important factor in weight loss?

Obviously combining the two will provide much faster results but are both really required?