Options

A mental health storyline for Eastenders' Dean Wicks? My theory.

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Matt Di Angelo was on Sunday Brunch this morning and a couple of things he said have made me think that EE may be heading towards some sort of mental health storyline with Dean.

Matt was asked whether there were any times that soap actors disagree with what storylines their characters get and he said that he had a huge argument (he did then say it was a tiff and they do get one very well) with DTC after he had been told what storyline they had for Dean. Matt then said that DTC made him realise that he could have an A storyline or a B one....like just going for a drink in the Vic and with the storyline that was planned (and is going to happen) "you can make people aware of that situation and go through that and really get your teeth into it." (words to that effect).

Now.....I don't think, going by what Matt said, that is just about the upcoming Linda storyline. The "you can make people aware of that situation and go through that" implies that it's about Dean himself and maybe his mental health? Maybe this could link to his time in prison? It could very easily be that he was raped in prison (it's yet to be confirmed but all the signs are there in the script and his behaviour in 2008) and he's repressed it, got on with his life etc. Because he hasn't dealt with those feelings, this could lead to him spiralling out of control now due to all the issues he has with Shirley?

I think the storyline would have to be very dark to get that sort of reaction from Matt. I think Dean may do something huge, like be violent towards someone, and then it leads onto the way he is (which would tie in with his comments about 'make people aware of the situation'). DTC must have something planned that Matt, as a fan of his character rather than as an actor, would have hated, but as an actor has realised how good it would be.

What do other people think?

Comments

• Options
    MelWMelW Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I think that it's certainly a possibility that they could go down this route - Dean is clearly a very messed up man. It could easily be linked to the Linda storyline though if he develops an obsession that turns into something very unhealthy. And then hopefully this could lead to Dean and his family realise that he needs to deal with what happened to him in prison as you're right that I doubt that he's ever really dealt with it.

Whatever it is that Matt was referring to it seemed like he was surprised by it so it sounds exciting. I just hope it's not too dark as there are certain things that Dean couldn't go back from as a character and I'd like his story to end happily one day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    MelW wrote: »
    I think that it's certainly a possibility that they could go down this route - Dean is clearly a very messed up man. It could easily be linked to the Linda storyline though if he develops an obsession that turns into something very unhealthy. And then hopefully this could lead to Dean and his family realise that he needs to deal with what happened to him in prison as you're right that I doubt that he's ever really dealt with it.

Whatever it is that Matt was referring to it seemed like he was surprised by it so it sounds exciting. I just hope it's not too dark as there are certain things that Dean couldn't go back from as a character and I'd like his story to end happily one day.

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree. I hope that whatever happens, the focus will be on his mental health and if he does do something violent, that it would be something the character could come back from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also hope that whatever happens we learn more about his time in prison. It has been implied that he was raped but we don't know for certain. If he was then I hope they don't shy away from exploring it.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I could imagine his behaviour becoming very strange. He could go from wanting Linda to wanting Mick's life, I think he said something along those lines in an interview.

I believe you're right about him spiralling into some sort of mental disorder that will impact on his brother and his family.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think he will try to take over Mick's life and muscle in on his family, a kind of 'hand that rocks the cradle' feel to it.

I'm hoping he wasn't raped inside as there has been too many abuse s/ls.
  • Options
    The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this could be really good and it may also corroborate the possible Dean/Stacey as an eventual couple theories given that they'd both be dealing with their respective mental health issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this could be really good and it may also corroborate the possible Dean/Stacey as an eventual couple theories given that they'd both be dealing with their respective mental health issues.

It's only my theory based on what Matt said on Sunday Brunch. I may be completely wrong....
  • Options
    The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It's only my theory based on what Matt said on Sunday Brunch. I may be completely wrong....

I think there may be some merit behind the theory and I hope it comes to fruition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there may be some merit behind the theory and I hope it comes to fruition.

Oh right :) I hope so too. There can't be many things that Matt would initially think to be a bad idea......that's why I think Dean does something bad at first, and then this storylines plays out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also hope that whatever happens we learn more about his time in prison. It has been implied that he was raped but we don't know for certain. If he was then I hope they don't shy away from exploring it.

In the show or just his interview?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dory353 wrote: »

It's been implied a few times in the show.

In this video of his last episode in 2008, at 4:11 Chelsea asks Dean what happened to him in prison and he replied "everything"

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6372296RJfkkXqm?h1=Deano's+last+day+on+Albert+Square

and then when Dean returned to the Vic, he told Shirley that when he was in prison he would wait every day for the animals to make his life a living hell.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dory353 wrote: »

In the show. At the end of his last stint. He showed Cheese Fox the cigarette burns on his arms & told her they'd done "everything" to him in jail - hinting at physical & sexual abuse.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that your theory is possible OP, I remember seeing a bit of Eastenders when Dean(o) was in prison & Sean Slater was shoving his head down the toilet. It's quite possible that he could have been abused more (ie raped) & he's suppressing those feelings but they will come out eventually (through violence or a breakdown). The end of Fridays episode showed how vulnerable Dean is & I think it should be explored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh I was quite surprised that Dean was that upset by what Shirley had done. I thought Matt played it very well and I think he will be brilliant in whatever the storyline is going to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This week should give us some more clues...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope so although I don't think he's in Thursday and Friday's episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do people think "make people aware of that situation and go through that" could mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode should be interesting!
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a Mother Like Shirley I'm surprized he's not completely deranged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dean looked so upset when he thought Linda wasn't going to model in last night's episode. I think this storyline will be more about Dean's psyche than Linda's involvement.
  • Options
    ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The quote about making people aware of an issue doesn't make me think it will be rape either. I could see Dean coming close to it , then realising what he's doing, breaking down and saying he was raped himself. He could then attempt suicide out of remorse but Shirley saves him .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ameew wrote: »
    I agree. The quote about making people aware of an issue doesn't make me think it will be rape either. I could see Dean coming close to it , then realising what he's doing, breaking down and saying he was raped himself. He could then attempt suicide out of remorse but Shirley saves him .

Yeh I could definitely see this happening. Maybe an attempted rape on Linda is what Matt was against, but then saw how it all fitted in with how Dean is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Matt Di Angelo was on Sunday Brunch this morning and a couple of things he said have made me think that EE may be heading towards some sort of mental health storyline with Dean.

Matt was asked whether there were any times that soap actors disagree with what storylines their characters get and he said that he had a huge argument (he did then say it was a tiff and they do get one very well) with DTC after he had been told what storyline they had for Dean. Matt then said that DTC made him realise that he could have an A storyline or a B one....like just going for a drink in the Vic and with the storyline that was planned (and is going to happen) "you can make people aware of that situation and go through that and really get your teeth into it." (words to that effect).

Now.....I don't think, going by what Matt said, that is just about the upcoming Linda storyline. The "you can make people aware of that situation and go through that" implies that it's about Dean himself and maybe his mental health? Maybe this could link to his time in prison? It could very easily be that he was raped in prison (it's yet to be confirmed but all the signs are there in the script and his behaviour in 2008) and he's repressed it, got on with his life etc. Because he hasn't dealt with those feelings, this could lead to him spiralling out of control now due to all the issues he has with Shirley?

I think the storyline would have to be very dark to get that sort of reaction from Matt. I think Dean may do something huge, like be violent towards someone, and then it leads onto the way he is (which would tie in with his comments about 'make people aware of the situation'). DTC must have something planned that Matt, as a fan of his character rather than as an actor, would have hated, but as an actor has realised how good it would be.

What do other people think?

It might be what LINDA goes through- not Dean. This could easily be her story with him as a villain, not his as you think.
    There's also the factor that Stacey is covering the 'mental illness' angle on EE.
    So- he could just be a baddie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ameew wrote: »

This seems quite likely. However- is it too predictable?