Have You Bought Parking Sensors For Your Car? How Good/Accurate Are They?....

StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
Forum Member
...In your experiences?

I'm thinking of buying some but am getting told they are not very good or accurate and they keep on bleeping to soon to stop.

A few years ago, some people I knew who had them seemed to have pretty good ones as they used to only brake to a complete stop very late when in between 2 cars and I know from experience that when at the driving seat, that would have looked like the cars should have bumped each other a lot earlier than when the car did stop.

So what's your take/recommendations on them? Thanks.

Comments

• and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have fitted them on my cars in the past and they normally work well enough. The ones I had started beeping at about 4ft and went to a continuous tone at about 1ft so as long as you don't reverse into the parking space at 30mph you should be able to stop in time.

On my current car I have a reversing camera which came from ebay. It gives a better indication of where the cars are behind you but you still have to gauge the distance based on how big the number place is in the picture. Basically if the number plate stops getting bigger as you reverse then you are probably too close to the car behind.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear for the safety of people driving on our roads nowadays, if they have to rely on these gadgets to perform the simplest of tasks.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have them fitted back & front on our car (Renault Captur) only problem I have found is if you park close to an obstruction the sensors start beeping and I cannot shut them up!!! all the time we are parked the sensors are sounding.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fear for the safety of people driving on our roads nowadays, if they have to rely on these gadgets to perform the simplest of tasks.

However whilst performing the "simplest of tasks" there is an aid available to make it even simpler, or safer, why not make use of it? :confused:

I've been driving for over 30 years and I have no problem reversing a car in to a parking space, however as my car has reverse parking sensors fitted as standard I still use them.

They are especially useful if there is a low-level obstacle such as a post or a low wall that isn't immediately obvious whilst looking out of the rear window or from your mirrors.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Once upon a time I would have agreed with you, I was able to park in between two cars with only inches to spare. But as you get older it gets harder to turn you neck so now I only park in bigger spaces or get my grandkids to watch me back and shout when I get too close. I have considered getting one of these gadgets.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    My car has a built in parking camera :cool:

It is actually most useful for getting out of tight parallel spots where someone has parked to close to the back of my car.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you also bemoan the invention of the electric starter motor? :D
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member

Do you drive? Can you ALWAYS tell how close a car really is behind you when you are using the internal mirror? To me the car behind always looks a lot closer than it actually is whenever I'm reversing hence why I'm thinking of getting these sensors.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    Have them fitted back & front on our car (Renault Captur) only problem I have found is if you park close to an obstruction the sensors start beeping and I cannot shut them up!!! all the time we are parked the sensors are sounding.

That's a spanner in the works then as I have just started to rent a garage and its a very tight space generally. No way of turning them off when "not needed"?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Or electric indicators and the steering wheel, LOL. :D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

Power steering....pah!!! I prefer having to manhandle my car round corners.
    Air filled tyres...pah!!! Nothing wrong with bands of iron placed around wooden wheels.
    Combustion engine....pah!!! Give me a reciprocating steam engine any day of the week.
    Etc etc.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't fret, you shouldn't really be in fear over it, they are an aid to ensure you don't accidentally scratch expensive paintwork and an eminently sensible idea.

Especially useful for new drivers, they build confidence and hone skills very quickly with them and of course they are a life-saver in the event a stray toddler manages to get themselves into a dangerous position in a way that you couldn't possibly have seen them.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power steering....pah!!! I prefer having to manhandle my car round corners.
    Air filled tyres...pah!!! Nothing wrong with bands of iron placed around wooden wheels.
    Combustion engine....pah!!! Give me a reciprocating steam engine any day of the week.
    Etc etc.

A steam engine! We don't want any of that modern rubbish around here. If it doesn't run on hay it isn't going in front of my wagon.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see the point of them (certainly the ones without a camera)

You hear a beep. Oh yippee.
    Still doesn't tell you when you've hit a car when trying to reverse into a space does it?
    You still won't be able to park in a really tight space if you couldn't do it without a sensor. How do you know when the tone of the beep is the one that allows you to just fit into a space without hitting the car behind?

A sensor can only beep - it won't stop you from reversing into a car.

All it can do is stop you from trying to park in a space where you may have been able to park (with care) without a sensor in your car. It puts you off from trying.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »

Still doesn't tell you when you've hit a car when trying to reverse into a space does it?
    You still won't be able to park in a really tight space if you couldn't do it without a sensor. How do you know when the tone of the beep is the one that allows you to just fit into a space without hitting the car behind?

All it can do is stop you from trying to park in a space where you may have been able to park (with care) without a sensor in your car. It puts you off from trying.

But have you considered that, in light of their popularity and the number of people who find them useful, you might be wrong?
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However whilst performing the "simplest of tasks" there is an aid available to make it even simpler, or safer, why not make use of it? :confused:

I've been driving for over 30 years and I have no problem reversing a car in to a parking space, however as my car has reverse parking sensors fitted as standard I still use them.

They are especially useful if there is a low-level obstacle such as a post or a low wall that isn't immediately obvious whilst looking out of the rear window or from your mirrors.

+1

Or even worse a small child manages to get behind your car and you didnt notice.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »

They beep quicker the closer you are to something.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    ...In your experiences?

I'm thinking of buying some but am getting told they are not very good or accurate and they keep on bleeping to soon to stop.

A few years ago, some people I knew who had them seemed to have pretty good ones as they used to only brake to a complete stop very late when in between 2 cars and I know from experience that when at the driving seat, that would have looked like the cars should have bumped each other a lot earlier than when the car did stop.

So what's your take/recommendations on them? Thanks.

Get a decent set, not the ones that are £1.99 from flea-bay

Get them fitted by an installer.

A couple of years ago, Costco had them for sale, £70 incl fitting. Unfortunately my car wasn't suitable for them (the angle on the bumper meant that they would detect the road) so the fitter who came out said to return them. When we took them back for a refund, Costco had about 10 sets left and they were reduced to £10.... and that STILL included fitting by a mobile installer!!

Ive fitted them myself on a Navarra, had to buy ones that were suitable for use on chrome bumpers. The only issue I had was when they were very wet after heavy rain. I suspected it was something to do with the metal bumper though.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you wear "special" driving gloves and refuse to navigate using anything other than maps? :D

I find bleeping sensors invaluable, especially when I'm reversing out of my car parking space at the supermarket.