Options

Truly Scrumptious

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I absolutely hate that song!!! Most of the Chitty songs are awful sacharine rubbish. I felt sorry for J and G having to sing it.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sacrilege!! :eek:

I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! One of my favourite musicals! :D:o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh but she's realy only a child deep down. Nancy anyway. She may be experienced, but not to sound too soppy, I think she was grown up, but had the heart of a child. :D

Nancy is no longer a child, its just that she's young enough to be able to look back at her childhood. According to the novel (or my reading of it), she looked after Oliver because he touched a raw nerve in her. She saw the difference between his innocence, and what she'd become, and she didn't want the same fate for him. She wishes him dead, rather than suffer the return to Fagin's world. If CM wants to redefine the role, perhaps he should return to the novel, as many other adaptations have done. Its a darn sight darker than the musical. Fair enough the lively songs show the humour and sarcasm in Dickens, but it could do with being more heartbreaking. Jessie is capable of heartbreaking, but in limited ways. I think Jodie is capable of it too.

Um, I wasn't trying to be horrible about Jodie, but I think an actress needs to be much older than Nancy is supposed ot be in order to portray her. Nancy would be physically, emotionally and mentally several years older than her actual age, compared with what young girls are like now.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peely wrote: »
    Nancy is no longer a child, its just that she's young enough to be able to look back at her childhood. According to the novel (or my reading of it), she looked after Oliver because he touched a raw nerve in her. She saw the difference between his innocence, and what she'd become, and she didn't want the same fate for him. She wishes him dead, rather than suffer the return to Fagin's world. If CM wants to redefine the role, perhaps he should return to the novel, as many other adaptations have done. Its a darn sight darker than the musical. Fair enough the lively songs show the humour and sarcasm in Dickens, but it could do with being more heartbreaking. Jessie is capable of heartbreaking, but in limited ways. I think Jodie is capable of it too.

Um, I wasn't trying to be horrible about Jodie, but I think an actress needs to be much older than Nancy is supposed ot be in order to portray her. Nancy would be physically, emotionally and mentally several years older than her actual age, compared with what young girls are like now.

Well you really care about this I'll give you that. I really can't argue with you.
    Good for you, you give an honest oppinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peely wrote: »

I really like your analysis.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like your analysis.:)

Thank you, its only because I'm currently reading the book, and having spent 30 years trying to get past the first 5 pages, now can't put it down!

Nancy is a real mixed up character. She's still capable of feeling, but she doesn't want to lose her "place". She cares for Oliver, but she also loves Bill Sikes. She's too savvy, so turns to drink to get away from thinking about it, at least til she helps Oliver in the end. I don't think Jessie (or Sam for that matter) is ready for the part, even if the story has been pasteurised by turning it into a musical. CM owes it to the GBP, who he's probably persuaded to see it by putting it on TV, to put on a brilliant production. It can still be more edgy than the original version, even if Jodie is older.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dayzeee wrote: »
    I also thought Jessie's natural interactions with Gwion were because she has younger siblings.

I agree. I have a big gap between my children and the oldest daughter was always like a little mother to her young brother.

I do think though the lifting up which of course would have been choreographed was a winning move
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CASPER1066 wrote: »
    Singing in the rain is not a duet and its for adults its not nice and fluffy its about a guy falling in love and not caring about the weather he is being soaked in.

Hardly cute and cuddly............it was a bad choice of song .. for cute and cuddly..

I totally agree. It was almost like let's give Jodie and Jessie brilliant cute interacting songs and stitch Sam up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I totally agree. It was almost like let's give Jodie and Jessie brilliant cute interacting songs and stitch Sam up.

It's not a great song either! And after having to listen to it twice on Britains Got Talent earlier (sky plussed Nance!) it was getting right on my goat!
  • Options
    dayzeeedayzeee Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why the 'lifting up' of Gwion was such a winning move. A great cheer went up from the audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dayzeee wrote: »
    I wonder why the 'lifting up' of Gwion was such a winning move. A great cheer went up from the audience.

It was just unbearably cute? :p

I for one was at home going "Oh my goodness, he's so small!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just unbearably cute? :p

I for one was at home going "Oh my goodness, he's so small!"

Well he is only 3............:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is he really?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11 :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sacrilege!! :eek:

I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! One of my favourite musicals! :D:o:D

ive been to the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle featured at the end of the film....and yes its like that....lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [
    QUOTE=dayzeee;24199426]How old is he really?
    [/QUOTE]
    3 3/4

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive been to the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle featured at the end of the film....and yes its like that....lol

:eek: Jealous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Jealous!

its built on top of a mountain...or big hill.seemed like everest.......but amazing view and amazing inside.....:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its built on top of a mountain...or big hill.seemed like everest.......but amazing view and amazing inside.....:)

Were there any children there? :p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were there any children there? :p:p

dozens of the wee buggers...........:D:D:D:D...see above link
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The castle has a great story attached to it.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What story is that, then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shandrim wrote: »

Sam's problem wasn't the song or choreography, but rather that she and her partner were so focused on singing to the audience and making sure they always faced the camera that they completely forgot about interacting with each other, except for the parts where the choreography forced them to, of course. For example, when Sam was embracing Harry with the umbrellas and they were swaying together, that was a perfect setup for them to interact more, but they didn't take advantage of it. If Harry had leaned against Sam and they had sung that part looking at each other, it would have been a thousand times more effective, but they were too busy smiling at the cameras to notice each other. The same thing happened for the rest of the duet, where they only looked at each other when forced by the choreography to do so, and even then they just faced each other without any affectionate body language.

Compare Sam's body language to Jodie's and Jessie's in the duet. Even while facing the audience to dance side by side with the Olivers , Jodie and Jessie kept glancing down and leaning towards their partners, while Sam was too busy mugging for the cameras to looking at Harry. Even when facing Harry Sam would just look at him with her eyes, while Jodie and Jessie would lean or slightly bend forward towards their Olivers, like you do when you want to slightly lower yourself closer to a child's height to make it easier for the child to look at you.

Sam's problem was not the song. Her problem was that she sang it as though it were part of a TV variety act instead of a piece of musical theater filmed for TV. That was the difference between Sam's duet and Jessie's duet. Sam and Harry were two people performing next to each other for the audience, while Jessie and Gwion were singing with each other as though they were completely alone in their own little world, making the audience feel as though we were lucky to be able to sneak a peek to watch them.

I totally disagree. the song singing in the rain is not a duet but a solo about a man who loves his girl so much he doesn't even mind getting wet! There are dozens of kids and adult songs they could have chosen from- Annie, Whistle down the wind (altho maybe dark) Lion king, Jungle Book etc. oh and don't forget they would have been choreographed to do it that way!!

I can't help thinking they were stitching Sam up to go out third to collect her votes for Jessie. Oh and i am not a Sam fan as I didn't really care who won but probably thought Jodie more ready at this moment in time
  • Options
    lady_ravenlady_raven Posts: 6,462
    Forum Member
    I you tubed the orginal version of the song from the film and wow Jessie and Gwians version completely outshone it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I totally disagree. the song singing in the rain is not a duet but a solo about a man who loves his girl so much he doesn't even mind getting wet!
    Songs are open to interpretation. It may have originally been sung by a man so in love he didn't mind the rain, but that is not the only interpretation possible. The lyrics are quite general and just talk about being happy, with just a brief mention of love in general and with no specific mention or allusion to romantic love. The lyrics could work perfectly as a song between an adult and a child playing together and singing about being happy to have each other in their lives.

Here are the lyrics Sam & Harry sang:
    Du Du Du Du Du Du Du Du Du

I'm singing in the rain
    Just singing in the rain
    What a glorious feelin'
    I'm happy again
    I'm laughing at clouds
    So dark up above
    The sun's in my heart
    And I'm ready for love
    Let the stormy clouds chase
    Everyone from the place
    Come on with the rain
    I've a smile on my face
    I walk down the lane
    With a happy refrain
    Just singin',
    Singin' in the rain

Let the stormy clouds chase
    Everyone from the place
    Come on with the rain
    I've a smile on my face
    I walk down the lane
    With a happy refrain
    Just singin',
    Singin' in the rain

Just singing
    and dancing in the rain

Those lyrics are perfect for a duet like the one they did, and the song is happy, bright, and so well known that it can easily get the crowd involved and clapping along to it. Well performed, that duet could easily have been a delightful and charming number that left everyone with a smile in their face. Sam and Harry just couldn't deliver, not because of the song itself, but because they didn't sell it appropriately, didn't show any chemistry at all.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the routine it was watching a Disney musical from the 60's were everything seemed so sweet. I think CM or ALW should consisder her for a part like that in a musical, it was just brilliant.:D:D