Breaking Bad - sell it to me (and without spoilers)

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad. *gasp* Now that you're over your shock....

I was always aware of Breaking Bad but the show's popularity seemed to come out of nowhere during it's final season. The way people raved on about it towards the end I couldn't help but feel I was missing out on something amazing. I still have not seen any of the episodes but am contemplating doing so...

So for the BB fans what is so good about the show? And is it one of those shows where the first few seasons are crap? Because I really don't have the patience for that, thanks.

Comments

• jason81jason81 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I got into Breaking Bad with the introduction of Netflix in the UK. I went in sceptical, everyone of my friends I spoke to about it told me it was amazing.

So I watched..... and within a week had gotten through the first 3 seasons. There are moments it is slow, but it is always building to something.

The development of the Walter White character is maybe some of the greatest character development in TV history. You get to see him starting off, low down the chain and see him progress and grow to what he is in the end (won't spoil)

It also provides some of the best moments you will see on a TV show. No season is crap, but it does get steadily better as it goes along. Some of season 3 & 4 is just mind blowing.

Sit down, watch it and enjoy.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    It not that the first few season are crap at all, it's just that if you have the attention span of a knat and expect blood, death and gun action in every episode and right from the start, you will be disappointed.

The first few seasons are the set up and about the people and why they have chosen to do things. They are crammed full of interesting stuff, some very black comedy and some action.

But this is very much a show where the characters develop and grow with every new situation they find themselves in. And along with the character's growth there is also a growth in the darkness, the violence the spectacle and the black comedy; which is evem funnier the more the situation gets worse.

Don't see it as season 1,2,3,4 and 5, see it as the complete story of Walter White and a storyline you just couldn't imagine. It gives you everything. It is complete. It gives you the ending that you deserve for watching it.

This is real OMG! No they didn't! Oh God they have! TV that goes downhill all the way as it gets darker and darker. (That's a positive in this show: the worse it gets for the characters, the greater TV it is for the viewer)

It's is also simple to understand TV without being simplistic: There are no arcing mysteries to work out, no why did they return from the grave/are they aliens/what is the mysterious time travelling island all about? This is real life, one of action and consequences.

Give it a go! See what in total fact you are missing out on. Go check out Mr White and ride his rollercoaster into the pits of hell and back in time to make Junior's breakfast. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watch the first 3 episodes it just builds from there. If you don't like it move on. Breaking bad is one of the best shows out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It not that the first few season are crap at all, it's just that if you have the attention span of a knat and expect blood, death and gun action in every episode and right from the start, you will be disappointed.

The first few seasons are the set up and about the people and why they have chosen to do things. They are crammed full of interesting stuff, some very black comedy and some action.

The first 5 episodes of Season 1 aren't full of interesting stuff, they're quite boring. Things start to get interesting at the end of episode 5 IIRC.

Ran out of time, so haven't seen past the first episode of season 2, which was very good...
    green855 wrote: »
    Just watch the first 3 episodes it just builds from there. If you don't like it move on. Breaking bad is one of the best shows out there.

I'd give it more than three, the first season gets better as it goes along...
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't that interested in breaking bad wasn't going to watch it, But the mrs put it on whilst we were bored one day, And that was it we watched them all within a few weeks and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    green855 wrote: »

I've watched the first three and I have enjoyed them but it hasn't grabbed me in a way that The Wire or The Sopranoes did. I think maybe the problem is that it was hyped to be brilliant so maybe I was expecting brilliance from the get go. Many shows grow to brilliance, if that makes sense, I'll stick with it a little more because people who like the shows I do, rave about this one so I suspect I will like it.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    The first 5 episodes of Season 1 aren't full of interesting stuff, they're quite boring. Things start to get interesting at the end of episode 5 IIRC.

Define what you call interesting. For many people it was/is interesting from the start, others want their fix of action and don't do character set-up.

It's an age thing.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first season is 7 episodes , watch them and if you aren't hooked then I'd give up , season one is brilliant in itself .

I'd say what hooked me was that it's about an ordinary shlub who gets involved in crime and of course he doesn't know how it works and has to confront huge moral dillemas . but it's also very funny in a black-comedy way , a bit like a Coen bros. movie .

but basically it clashes a very ordinary domestic life against the world of criminality . Plus of course he's dying from cancer .

also - the other main character Jesse Pinkman who is a small time meth dealer is just such a likeable kid , who actually has more conscience than all the others, his relationship with Walt is the backbone of the show , and the things they go thru ... well you'll see .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I was interested from the first episode, but others say it takes a few to get into it.

It's unpredictable. A good mix of drama, some black humour and shocks.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Its boss. Watch it. Even if you think the first episode isn't all that, persist.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kine wrote: »
    I was interested from the first episode, but others say it takes a few to get into it.

It's unpredictable. A good mix of drama, some black humour and shocks.

Same. I watched the first one not expecting to like it, but even with the way the first episode started I was hooked to see what happened.

Sometimes though it can be confusing, but it all becomes clear again. I also enjoy getting the background to some storylines.

I just watched the final two episodes today and I am gutted thats its over. It will be one on my rewatch list in about a year.
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that keen after watching episode one, was a bit more optimistic after episode two, hooked after episode three. Series one was a slow build up and introduced us to the characters. Loved Marie, the sister/in-law who would drive me crazy. Series two was also a bit slow and it would have been easy to give up, but I was so glad I persevere as series three was absolutely amazing.

My 16 year old son badgered me to watched the show in the first place and in the end, both me and his dad were hooked on the blue:D. The acting is first class and its a well written show which confuses at times, but it all becomes clear in the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Define what you call interesting. For many people it was/is interesting from the start, others want their fix of action and don't do character set-up.

It's an age thing.

I've generally don't have an issue with slow moving shows or character development, just the first few episodes of Breaking Bad for some reason...
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'A chemistry teacher dying of cancer hooks up with an ex-student to sell meth'.

Hardly the most catching, must-see description for a show.

I have no interest in drugs, gangsters and find people that are terminally ill in films/tv too depressing.

Watched the 1st couple of episodes and 10 days later had watched all 5 seasons.

That's my sell :)
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have no interest in drugs, gangsters and find people dying in films too depressing.

Haha!!! I read your first few lines and thought you were an idiot.

Read the rest and you are a genius!!
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S1 and S2 are pretty slow (And S2 also has an absurd ending that is undoubtedly the show's lowest moment). They are enjoyable and extremely well acted, but the pace does drag in places. However there is an episode early in S2 ('Grilled'? I think) that was probably the originally intended ending point of the first season - which was cut short by the writer's strike. This is an excellent episode and is more similar in tone to the superior seasons that follow. I would recommend anyone prepared to give this show a genuinely fair shot to watch up until this episode and decide from there.

S3 onwards is quite simply the finest TV produced in recent years. I'm usually the first to say if something is overrated, but I seriously doubt anyone could watch Breaking Bad in its entirety and not rank it amongst their top 5 favourite shows of all time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad. *gasp* Now that you're over your shock....

I was always aware of Breaking Bad but the show's popularity seemed to come out of nowhere during it's final season. The way people raved on about it towards the end I couldn't help but feel I was missing out on something amazing. I still have not seen any of the episodes but am contemplating doing so...

So for the BB fans what is so good about the show? And is it one of those shows where the first few seasons are crap? Because I really don't have the patience for that, thanks.

Why don't you just watch it. Most of us who watched it and appreciated it didn't need spoonfeeding into watching it.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I've just watched the first episode...it's all right, nothing special. A couple of lol moments here and there but again, nothing special. I guess I'll just have to hang in there...
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good points - interesting premise, interesting characters
    Bad points - rather predictable, constant weird shaky cam, slow paced
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    It's a slow burner, but Season 3 and 4 is probably the best, followed by Season 5A and 5B.
  • hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no intention of watching it, my other half kept on about it and there was a free first episode on the X-Box so we watched it. Found the first season for £10 and to be honest, took a few episodes to get into it, but once I did, we ended up buying them all and loving the show, the annoying thing for me now is the DVD's are doing permanent loan outs around work, so I can't do a rewatch!
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good points - interesting premise, interesting characters
    Bad points - rather predictable, constant weird shaky cam, slow paced

That's a fair assessment. It's definitely worth sticking with. Don't expect some seat of your pants thrill ride yet though, let the story and characters develop and it all comes together nicely.
    Forum Member
    Same. I watched the first one not expecting to like it, but even with the way the first episode started I was hooked to see what happened.

Sometimes though it can be confusing, but it all becomes clear again. I also enjoy getting the background to some storylines.

I just watched the final two episodes today and I am gutted thats its over. It will be one on my rewatch list in about a year.
    The start of the first episode with Walt in his underpants in the desert and the sirens in the background, I thought that was game over. I assumed the plot would be presented in flashbacks. When the episode panned out differently, I was hooked.
    Forum Member

I have no interest in drugs, gangsters and find people that are terminally ill in films/tv too depressing.

I saw it recommended on here quite a while before I started watching it. The image on imdb put me off. Walt looked like a thug. A shaven headed thug. I really didn't think it would be for me. What a surprise!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I've just watched the first episode...it's all right, nothing special. A couple of lol moments here and there but again, nothing special. I guess I'll just have to hang in there...

I'm sorry, but people who expect to be absolutely sold on a show after just the first episode when the whole thing spans about 5 seasons drive me potty. Stop being so demanding and critical, and watch it properly instead of demanding to be 100% entertained on your own terms from the opening episode.