Look at the evidence

Comments

• Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carrick with Lampard, Gerrard just off Rooney with SWP and J.Cole out wide.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start Heskey and Defoe up front, Start joe cole or a left winger (oh no capello didn't bring one!) on the left.
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Capello needs to use his subs better.

I agree with this, also. I was staggered he didn't change things at half-time tonight.

Why Joe Cole is being left on the bench is also bewildering.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sattrega wrote: »
    I agree with this, also. I was staggered he didn't change things at half-time tonight.

Why Joe Cole is being left on the bench is also bewildering.

I'm with you on Joe Cole but great managers rarely make half time changes. You have to have faith in your own team talk.
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need to find passion and a will to work to win, and not expect it to fall in their laps because they are 'England'
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I agree with all of that.

Except for the fact that i think sven was quality.

Capello should have made changes at HT.

Joe Cole shagged Capellos wife/daughter/dog. Its the only explanation for why he didnt get on.

I think Sven's personality more than anything played against him, I never once remember him being outclassed as England manager.

If Capello doesn't see that things aren't working and keeps things the same then I would rather we were just dumped out by Slovenia in the next game, if he see's that things need changing and isn't stubborn enough to change things then I'll keep some hope.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Just no link up play at all.Id like to see more build up play, maybe start off with a defensive approach and change it if it stay's goal-less

James
    Johnson--Upson--Terry
    Cole

Barry
    SWP--Gerrard----Lampard
    J.Cole
    Rooney/Defoe

Slightly controversial,but something needs changing. If cappelo goes with 4-4-2 and loses/draws then he's going to get lynched.
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerrard on the left smacks of trying to find a place for a player who is world class in a different place.

I'd play Gerrard just off the front man, spearheading a five man midfield. I'd put J Cole in left midfiled and bring in Upson to partner Terry in defense. Apart from that I'd keep everything the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Just no link up play at all.Id like to see more build up play, maybe start off with a defensive approach and change it if it stay's goal-less

James
    Johnson--Upson--Terry
    Cole

Barry
    SWP--Gerrard----Lampard
    J.Cole
    Rooney/Defoe

Slightly controversial,but something needs changing. If cappelo goes with 4-4-2 and loses/draws then he's going to get lynched.

I assume you mean Rooney or Defoe? In that case we're on the same wavelength, bar the fact that I'd keep Lennon in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Why is everyone suddenly craving this 4-4-1-1 formation? What evidence is there that this is any better than 4-4-2.

What is so wrong with 4-4-2 all of a sudden?
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Nevermind:o
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........................James..............................

Johnson....Dawson..........Terry...........Cole

Lennon.........Barry.........Lampard.......Cole

...........................Gerrard..........................

...........................Rooney.........................
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »

That would be my line up also if I were picking the side although Johnson would be on holiday somewhere if I were in charge.:D
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member

This, if anybody thinks that this team would have performed as badly as they did tonight then you're a fool.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    You can talk about formations all night but the painful fact is there is not one creative player who can makes things happen. The nearest one I guess is Joe Cole but Capello dare not drop one of Lampard or Gerrard. Rooney had a poor game but he wasn't alone. It's a case of the same old, same old.

Walcott and Adam Johnson should have been on that plane. Capello has messed up but luckily for him he has one more chance to get it right.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Experience and confidence.

Too many good players haven't been given a chance because they 'lack' experience (despite being regulars in the best league in the world, playing against some of the best players in the world), and too many other players have too much of it. What does it say to the squad when the manager brings out of retirement a player who has just had his worst ever season (and has also implied he doesn't give a shit about England) and also made a failed attempt to convince a 35-year-old to make a comeback only a few weeks before the tournament was due to kick off? There are rumours that Alex Ferguson even had to convince Fabio not to take Owen Hargreaves.....must be a massive kick in the 'nads to the players who have played all season, especially for those who participated in the qualifying campaign. I know we don't have a great deal of players too choose from, but were things really that bad?

Some of these players should have been faded out after we failed to qualify for the last Championship. Lampard seems to be made a scapegoat by a lot of people, but I have to say that I genuinely believe he needs to retire now to make room for somebody else. He doesn't fit Capello's system anyway (whatever it is), but - with the exception of McClaren temporarily getting rid of Beckham - there's a refusal by our manager's to try anything new, whether it's personnel, tactics of formation. Right now, this falls to Capello......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what I and others have said (with the exception of differing player choices obviously)
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    We need to drop Rooney, he has never been great for England and he is clearly not match fit. I'll never know why we didn't take Darren Bent, the best natural goalscorer in the country :(
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    You can talk about formations all night but the painful fact is there is not one creative player who can makes things happen. The nearest one I guess is Joe Cole but Capello dare not drop one of Lampard or Gerrard. Rooney had a poor game but he wasn't alone. It's a case of the same old, same old.

True, Rooney will score goals but he needs players to create, he's surrounded by them at Man Utd but England aren't blessed with many of them.

I think Capello did try and do something about it - he tried to get Scholes out of international retirement.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Practically every pundit and the majority of fans are screaming this line up - yet it's always completely shunned. At least we could try rather than the same old same old.
  • SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrard has been our best attacking player this world cup. He played well last game, with or without the goal. And tonight, he was the only player trying to make something happen. So id love to know why people are calling for him to be dropped.

His also scored in every major international tournament, while rooney has not even scored in a world cup yet. Rooney has only scored eight more goals at internastional level than gerrard, even though his a striker, but he has somehow done it at international level, but gerrard hasn't :confused::confused:
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    I'm going to go back the Gerrard and Lampard arguement to begin with. These are outstanding club players, who enjoy huge success at that level. However that doesn't make them world class. They are nothing more than average internationals.

So far in the two games, I've heard Joe Cole names mentioned more than Lampard and I think Cole has probably done more than Lampard. We have seen every formation possible to try and get these two to reproduce the club for England and it's failed, it's been 3 or 4 managers that have tried without success. It's now time to ditch the idea that England can't do without either. One or both of them need to be ditched. If we look back, Paul Scholes retired from international football, in some part to him being shunted out to the left, to let these two play, and neither have really done anything to justify that idiot idea by Sven.

As for the squad take a good look at it all, ask yourself this. If a World squad was selected and that means the 23 players to play as a "World" team, who from this England squad be in it? I'd say the only two world class players we've got who'd go into that would be Rooney and Ashley Cole. All the rest are not good enough.

The manager will be blamed, the team will be blamed, the ball, the noise and possibly even the change from altitude will be blamed for the poor showing. However, they are simply not good enough. Capello I think knows this, why would he have asked Scholes, Carrargher to come out of retirement instead of someone else? Why else were the press suggesting that Owen Hargreaves was being considered, when he's been out for so long? It's simple the majority of this squad is not good enough.
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "International class" is not harder!

If you can play in the CL you can play in this tourney against USA and Algeria.

How can Lampard pop in 20 goals a season against world class players in the PL and CL and suddenly not be good enough against Algeria????
    Because he plays in a good Chelsea team that allows him to show his abilities. Like with Gerrard, he can play well at Premiership level, and CL to a degree, but isn't good enough to boss an international game when things are tougher.

I'd agree that international class isn't always harder when you talk about the likes of Algeria or Slovenia, (which is why Gerrard and Lampard underperformed tonight) but on the whole, you don't get the "easy games" of the PL where the top 4 teams will mostly beat the likes of Wigan or Bolton, even if some of their top players don't perform.

When they aren't playing with brilliant players then it's a lot more difficult ..... look at Gerrard this season for Liverpool - the manager and the players round him weren't good enough, and he wasn't good enough to lift them to another level - much like it is with England.

It's true to say Algeria (and even the United States) would struggle to beat Wigan, but the gulf in class between them and England isn't as big as it would be between Chelsea and Wigan for example. Therefore Lampard and Gerrard get found out.

So in short, they are (or were) good at PL and CL level (although Gerrard and Liverpool weren't playing and probably won't be playing in the CL for a good while) partly because of their club teams, but get found out at international level where they don't have as many good players round them .. it happened this season at Liverpool for Gerrard, and it's happening for England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    You say only 2 like it's a bad thing.

How many would brazil have? Or Spain? Or Argentina?

To have 2 players in a world 23 squad is a good representation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need to drop Rooney, he has never been great for England and he is clearly not match fit. I'll never know why we didn't take Darren Bent, the best natural goalscorer in the country :(

I think the only question mark over Bent would be if he could deliver the goods at international level. I still would have taken him over Heskey though.