Options

Would you call up Arteta for England?

Comments

• Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a question, for those against players born in other nations representing England, how would you feel if somebody from Gibraltar or the Falklands was good enough to play for the national team? Would you consider them English enough?
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Here's a question, for those against players born in other nations representing England, how would you feel if somebody from Gibraltar or the Falklands was good enough to play for the national team? Would you consider them English enough?

Yes...
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    There is a huge difference.

Their nationality came before their caps.

But, the point I was making was that Arteta was born outside of this country, just like other players, and other players have played for us without this discussion, so I don't see a difference between him and say Barnes, one was bon in Jamica, the other Spain, just because one comes over here, a little bit earlier in their life than the other, doesn't make one more "English" than the other.

If you are going to say that Arteta shouldn't play for England, because he is Spanish, then I presume you think that Barnes should have played for Jamica, as he wasn't English either then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But, the point I was making was that Arteta was born outside of this country, just like other players, and other players have played for us without this discussion, so I don't see a difference between him and say Barnes, one was bon in Jamica, the other Spain, just because one comes over here, a little bit earlier in their life than the other, doesn't make one more "English" than the other.

If you are going to say that Arteta shouldn't play for England, because he is Spanish, then I presume you think that Barnes should have played for Jamica, as he wasn't English either then?

No.

Did Barnes move to England before he even thought about football?
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Did Barnes move to England before he even thought about football?

So, how long do you judge someone to be eligible for a country? At what age, is someone allowed to move to another country, and play for that national team? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30? Just because Barnes moved here at an earlier age than Arteta, is that really a reason to deny Arteta a place in the England sqaud/team?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, how long do you judge someone to be eligible for a country? At what age, is someone allowed to move to another country, and play for that national team? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30? Just because Barnes moved here at an earlier age than Arteta, is that really a reason to deny Arteta a place in the England sqaud/team?

I think the move should come first.

Do i really need to explain the difference between Barnes and Arteta?
  • Options
    Dust MonkeyDust Monkey Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with it.

If he is eligible and wants to play, then call him up.

France, Portugal, Germany have all had foreign born naturalized citizens play for them, heck even Croatia have Eduardo.

To me there's not much difference between Arteta and someone like the Canadian Owen Hargreaves. Who learnt all his football in Canada and Germany. He may of had English ancestry but he hadn't even kicked a ball in England before being called up.

It's modern sport, look at the England cricket team. No one would accuse Kevin Pieterson of not giving his all for the team when he plays. Why should football be any different.

I say if he is good enough pick him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To me there's not much difference between Arteta and someone like the Canadian Owen Hargreaves. Who learnt all his football in Canada and Germany. He may of had English ancestry but he hadn't even kicked a ball in England before being called up.

• Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Big difference. John Barnes was in England since a child was he not, Arteta six yrs during his footy career.

Arteta should not be picked for England.
  • Options
    Dust MonkeyDust Monkey Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess Arteta has spent more time playing and living in the UK than Hargreaves.;)

I was only pointing out that England have already had a "foreigner" play for them.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the fuss to be honest.

It's working for Germany after all
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I don't see the fuss to be honest.

It's working for Germany after all

The main difference would be that with Germany, though foreign born, came through the German youth/coaching system. If Arteta had moved here when he was a kid under 12, played for say Charlton's academy and the various England youth teams then fair enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spaniards should only play for Spain, Poles should only play for Poland and Englishmen should only play for England. It's a no-brainer. You should no more be able to change nationalities as you can your age.

Failure to adhere to this is why international football has no credibility and is a lost cause - the spirit has gone and is the reason why I want to see inter-league tournaments where it's impossible to cheat as to who represents who - replace international football

Oh behave. It's the same logic the right/far right come out with when they fumble about on who's 'really' British enough not to be 'sent home'. He has lived here for 5 years. If he has British citizenship, He. Is. A. British. Citizen. This idea that we've got English 'blood' because of our parents.

International football has not lost credibility, you just seem to love banging on and on and on and on about Germany and Ozil. It seems bizarre that if I were to be born into Spanish parents, and spent my entire life living in Britain, embracing British culture from the language to the binge, that you would still say to me I can only represent the Spanish. Why on earth would I be more qualified to represent the Spanish, a country I have nothing to do with, than England (or Scotland, Wales or NI).

Or what about this. What if I was from Ghana. But I was adopted by British parents. I know nothing about Ghana, or my parents which would be the only thing connecting it to me. After a life of living in England with adopted English parents, you would have me play for Ghana only?
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main difference would be that with Germany, though foreign born, came through the German youth/coaching system. If Arteta had moved here when he was a kid under 12, played for say Charlton's academy and the various England youth teams then fair enough.

If it had been tried in another sport and been an utter disaster and fans had revolted then I'd be wary but its worked in cricket.

You have players from all over the world who become so dedicated to a club and its support and its history that I don't see why it couldn't be different to an international level
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I too am a bit iffy with Arteta nonetheless. British citizenship should entitle him to the same rights and opportunities as any other, and if you deny immigrants some because they're not 'proper', it is a slippery slope. But, when he would be playing clearly because he couldn't get into the Spanish squad, i'd just feel like we're taking rejects.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't do it in cricket so we shouldn't do it in Football:)
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wsmansem wrote: »
    So if we decide to sell up and go and live the rest of our lives in Iceland , the country -not the Superstore,you're saying after a few years we can be regarded as Icelandic ????

Sorry that's utter nonsense ...

No, I'm saying that if you move to Iceland with your parents as a two year old, you grow up and are educated in Iceland and spend your working life in Iceland, you might just think of yourself as Icelandic.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you just seem to love banging on and on and on and on about Germany and Ozil.?
    I have never ever mentioned Ozil in any of my posts - are you sure you are quoting the right person?
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    We don't do it in cricket so we shouldn't do it in Football:)

Assuming that was the height of sarcasm, well done! :D
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh behave. It's the same logic the right/far right come out with when they fumble about on who's 'really' British enough not to be 'sent home'. He has lived here for 5 years. If he has British citizenship, He. Is. A. British. Citizen. This idea that we've got English 'blood' because of our parents.

I was going to post along these lines yesterday but was a bit wary of opening this thread up in that direction. I'm glad others were braver than I.

C7, you are essentially accussing Arteta of moving to England with the explicit intention of working his way into the Englsh national team. Unless you've read some quote from him to that effect then I fail to see how you can possibly come to that conclusion. And even if he did, what's wrong with that? Does his desire to play for England (if he has any such desire) not count that same as Gerrard or Rooney? If he wants to pull on the England shirt and play for his adopted nation then why shouldn't he? Any argument against quite frankly can be labelled as xenophobic or worse.
    I too am a bit iffy with Arteta nonetheless. British citizenship should entitle him to the same rights and opportunities as any other, and if you deny immigrants some because they're not 'proper', it is a slippery slope. But, when he would be playing clearly because he couldn't get into the Spanish squad, i'd just feel like we're taking rejects.

How many of the current England squad would get into the Spanish squad? If those are the new selection criteria then we'd better start getting used to playing with 5 on the pitch at most!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never ever mentioned Ozil in any of my posts - are you sure you are quoting the right person?

You're right it was that other guy during the world cup who was on here making a huge thread about it. The rest of my post remains valid though.

I s'pose you could make a weak case saying that the dominance of the English prem means more foreigners are likely to get citizenship because they travel here to play in arguably the best league, therefore making any success of our team based on our money driven, heavily branded and marketed league, rather than any reflection on our ability to play as a nation. But I wouldn't follow that
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He isn't English in any shape or form afaik so no and I don't even think he is good enough to be selected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    He isn't English in any shape or form afaik so no and I don't even think he is good enough to be selected.

Did you just COMPLETELY read past the entire argument on the other side? BRITISH. CITIZENSHIP!

Red you have yet to give me your stance on my adopted child from Ghana scenario.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you just COMPLETELY read past the entire argument on the other side? BRITISH. CITIZENSHIP!

Red you have yet to give me your stance on my adopted child from Ghana scenario.

Sorry I missed it after having my views likened to the Hitler Youth and being misquoted about Ozil :)

I have elsewhere (in the WC thread about Poles playing for Germany) suggested a series of strict criteria that would be applied to everyone regarding which country they can play for. Based on country of birth and nationality of parents. If that couldn't decide it, then 'tie-break' criteria would come into play, using such things as whether a parent has represented a country at international level, nationality of grandparents and so on.

There would be a whole bunch to go through, but would be in the exact same order for everyone, so no one could cheat by opting for a more favourable country - you would not be allowed to choose, it would be chosen for you as determined by the criteria. If it turns out you have an Italian mother and a father from Papua New Guinnea but were born in Spain, but the link to Papua New Guinnea (as determined by the criteria) is stronger - tough luck, you could only ever play for them and never Italy or Spain

So I can't give a straight answer to your question about the adopted Ghanian, but either Ghana or England would be the strong favourite

The bottom line is that no one should ever be allowed to choose the country they can represent
  • Options
    SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he's no less English than f**king Fabio Capello is!!

I find it funny when the people on this forum think it's acceptable for Fabio Capello to manage England and yet are hostile to when it comes to Arteta playing for them. Hypocrites.:D

Arteta at least qualifies through residency should he wish, unlike Fabio.