Options

Regency Romance that would make a good TV Series or film

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently read a book that I thought would make a fantastic TV series along the lines of the BBC Pride and Prejudice.

It is an old out of print novel. I had to pay about £20 for a second hand copy but Lordy! It was fantastic. It has a truly horrible title and an even worse cover but the actual writing and the story were superb.

It's called The Rake and the Reformer by Mary Jo Putney.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? There was a glut or Austen films and dramas a few years ago but obviously they are done to death now. Happily, there are some amazing writers out there and now I want some more!!!! :)

Comments

• Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I love Regency romances, although I've never read any Putney. I do like Mary Balogh, Nicola Cornick and Julia Quinn (although the latter's books are not strictly accurate!)

It'd be great if the TV execs gave Austen a rest (I adore Austen, but still...) and adapted some modern historical romances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Regency romances, although I've never read any Putney. I do like Mary Balogh, Nicola Cornick and Julia Quinn (although the latter's books are not strictly accurate!)

It'd be great if the TV execs gave Austen a rest (I adore Austen, but still...) and adapted some modern historical romances.

Actually there are quite a few that would make great TV.

Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase is stunningly brilliant.

There are a few Georgette Heyers like Frederica, Cotillion and one of my favourites The Masqueraders. (I believe there is a petition online to make a Georgette Heyer film)

Mary Balogh, as you say is also fab. One NIght for Love, A Summer to remember and Slightly Married are such fantastic stories.

Period dramas are expensive to make but the BBCs P & P must have made a fortune and it pains me to say it but there are more enjoyable Regency stories out there. Even better than P & P.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read "Shelley:The Pursuit" by Richard Holmes. Biography not a novel but... the story of how Shelley dumped his first wife, Harriet, for Mary who became Wife 2, is heartbreaking. Harriet ended up killing herself - as did her half sister who also fell for Shelley. He left her penniless and alone, when she was pregnant with their second child. It's a vivid portrait of Regency England - not romantic, but a ripping yarn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    suzzle wrote: »

There are a few Georgette Heyers like Frederica, Cotillion and one of my favourites The Masqueraders. (I believe there is a petition online to make a Georgette Heyer film)

A Georgette Heyer film would be amazing! It's just be difficult to pick which one.
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, Georgette Heyer is a wonderful writer, and her characters are charming. I'm surprised that her novels haven't been adapted for TV.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Georgette Heyer here, whether for her Regiency comedies of manners or her glorious Georgean romps like The Masqueraders, already mentioned.

Sophia Stanton-Lacy would make a wonderful role for a young actress and she knocks spots off the wimpish, neurotic Bridget Jones.:D Devil's Cub is a superbly crafted farce with a dashing leading man, an opportunity for one of our many older actors to give their comic turn as Lord Rupert, and of course the chance for Alan Rickman to make Avon flesh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the 1940s or 1950s, one of Heyer's novels was adapted for the big screen (I think it's the Reluctant Widow), and apparently Georgette Heyer was so incensed at what they had done to her book that she vowed never to let another of her books be adapted again. I read this in the biography written by Jane Aiken Hodge years ago and apparently she left instructions in her will that decreed to her estate never to let her books be adapted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 1940s or 1950s, one of Heyer's novels was adapted for the big screen (I think it's the Reluctant Widow), and apparently Georgette Heyer was so incensed at what they had done to her book that she vowed never to let another of her books be adapted again. I read this in the biography written by Jane Aiken Hodge years ago and apparently she left instructions in her will that decreed to her estate never to let her books be adapted.

What a shame. I know where she was coming from though. Early adaptations were appallingly mawled to "improve" them. They tend to be far more sympathetic these days and authors (or their relatives) can have script approval.

I wonder if the clause in her will is still being adhered to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure whether the clause is still adhered to or not. But as the books are still in print and continue to sell, maybe her estate prefer things to remain as they are.

I think that TV execs have relied on the classics for far too long, but as the success of Downton Abbey has shown there is still an apetite for historical drama and people will tune in even if the story is unknown.

Have you ever read any books by Marion Chesney? She's more known for her Agatha Raisin books, but before she switched to crime she wrote loads of really funny Regency romances.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems The Beeb is dropping "bonnet dramas" ........ maybe all that stitching costs too much?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/09/television

Obviously, with these being so popular, and the market no longer "distorted by BBC domination", Sky will immediately start making some more .......

(we haven't yet had JANE AUSTEN IN 3D ......... remember to duck every time an actress turns her head!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Georgette Heyer fan here! I would love to see some of her books (decently) adpated.
  • Options
    tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently read a book that I thought would make a fantastic TV series along the lines of the BBC Pride and Prejudice.

It is an old out of print novel. I had to pay about £20 for a second hand copy but Lordy! It was fantastic. It has a truly horrible title and an even worse cover but the actual writing and the story were superb.

It's called The Rake and the Reformer by Mary Jo Putney./QUOTE]

Suzzle - did you know MJP has revised this book and it is now called The Rake?
    I adore the American published historical romances. Authors like
    Lisa Kleypas, Mary Balogh, Jo Beverley, Eloisa James, Julia Quinn, Elizabeth Hoyt, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvfanny wrote: »

It's called The Rake and the Reformer by Mary Jo Putney./QUOTE]

Suzzle - did you know MJP has revised this book and it is now called The Rake?
    I adore the American published historical romances. Authors like
    Lisa Kleypas, Mary Balogh, Jo Beverley, Eloisa James, Julia Quinn, Elizabeth Hoyt, etc, etc.

Yes, I found out after I read it. Haven't read the revised one and probably never will. I couldn't fault the first one - it was absolutely brilliant! :)

I also loved Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series (Now I come to think of it - they WOULD make a fab series, especially with Lady Whistledown's pearls of wisdom threading their way through them) and also Mary Balogh's Bedwyn series.

Sigh - so many wonderful books! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Seems The Beeb is dropping "bonnet dramas" ........ maybe all that stitching costs too much?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/09/television

Obviously, with these being so popular, and the market no longer "distorted by BBC domination", Sky will immediately start making some more .......

(we haven't yet had JANE AUSTEN IN 3D ......... remember to duck every time an actress turns her head!).

Oh Lordy - They've put a bloke in charge! Can't see him being a big fan of the regency romance!! LOL! I'm doomed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have any other suggestions? There was a glut or Austen films and dramas a few years ago but obviously they are done to death now. Happily, there are some amazing writers out there and now I want some more!!!! :)

A few years ago I was introduced to a trilogy by an American writer called Patricia Gaffney. As far as I'm aware she no longer writes historical romances, but at the time I thought the trilogy was wonderful and would make great TV.

They are called the Wyckerley Trilogy and are loosely based on or meant as an homage to Thomas Hardy. They are called

To Love and to Cherish
    To Have and to Hold
    Forever and Ever

There has been controversy about TH&TH amongst the romance community because it has elements of forced seduction/rape.

Gaffney's writing is IMO of a really high standard, far above the preconceptions of romance genre fiction.

Yikes, I've just looked them up and realise that they're Victorian rather than Regency!:eek: However I'll post this anyway (having written the wretched post!), just in case anyone's interested in the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jayceegee. :) Not a fan of anything involving forceful seduction/rape I have to say but have added them to my list.